U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 03:22 PM

54,104 posts, read 77,580,760 times

Advertisements

Here is an article about this community in Chautauqua County that I came across: https://www.newyorkupstate.com/weste...ritualism.html

Has anyone on here ever been there? If so, what kind of vibe does this community have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 08:14 PM

1,120 posts, read 1,104,240 times
There is an HBO documentary about the community called "No One Dies in Lily Dale" that is on Youtube.

Old 07-21-2018, 07:36 AM

3,120 posts, read 2,696,490 times
We drove through Cassadaga and Lily Dale this summer. We have no interest in going back. The towns are small, a little run down, and in the middle of nowhere.

Old 07-26-2018, 03:03 AM

18,013 posts, read 22,341,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Here is an article about this community in Chautauqua County that I came across: https://www.newyorkupstate.com/weste...ritualism.html

Has anyone on here ever been there? If so, what kind of vibe does this community have?

Talk about synchronicity! We just returned from five days in Lily Dale! This is our fifth summer at Lily Dale. We love it.

It's an adorable Victorian community located in Cassadega NY. As you probably already know, Lily Dale NY is the largest Spiritualist community in the world. Spiritualist are people who believe in "the Continuity of the Soul". They talk to people who have passed on. The psychic mediums there are some of the finest. All must submit to rigorous testing before they are granted the title of "Registered Medium".

If this kind of thing fascinates you - or you are curious and open minded, this is a great vacation, a unique get away, and a budget friendly spiritual retreat and resort.

Lily Dale itself is rather rustic and funky. Rooms rent for $55-$130 per night. Different hotels and guest houses have different amenities. NONE are really modern. You don't visit LD because you are seeking luxury accommodations. You go for the experience.

This is not Orlando or Las Vegas. (nice places, but very, very different)

I do not agree with the poster who said that the area is depressing. It's beautiful. If you are not open minded, curious, or able to "think outside the box", this may not be for you. However, the very fact that you inquired about it, tells me that yo will enjoy yourself!

There are workshops, classes, psychic fun nights, music, natural beauty and camaraderie. On campus, there are three good restaurants and others nearby. There are book stores, and masseuses. A wonderful place to decompress.

If you need a change of pace, Fredonia and Cassadega are minutes away.

The last place that we stayed was on Lake Cassadega. We had a view of the lake, and use of kayaks. It was under $80 per night.

I really could tell you anything you want. Best places to stay for your needs, best mediums, when to visit and more! You also may want to watch the HBO special "No one Dies in Lily Dale". There is also a book "Lily Dale- the town that Talks to the Dead"

-

Last edited by sheena12; 07-26-2018 at 03:46 AM..

Old 07-26-2018, 04:36 PM

3,120 posts, read 2,696,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I do not agree with the poster who said that the area is depressing. It's beautiful. If you are not open minded, curious, or able to "think outside the box", this may not be for you.
-
I'm an artist. The area IS depressing. Findlay Lake is a better choice for a visit.

Old 07-27-2018, 12:16 AM

2,730 posts, read 3,218,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
I'm an artist. The area IS depressing. Findlay Lake is a better choice for a visit.
The question was about the Lily Dale Community. Do you find that depressing? If so you have not been there. Both lakes are beautiful. And Cassadega is a cute town. Some nice restaurants. Cultural activities offered by Chautauqua and SUNY Fredonia.

I don't think that the OP wanted to move to Lily Dale.

The question was about Lily Dale, with is not depressing. Unless your mind is closed.

Old 10-05-2018, 08:44 PM

203 posts, read 53,762 times
I grew up near there. if you are into spiritual woo woo, then it is for you ;-)

Old 11-01-2018, 03:56 PM

241 posts, read 153,681 times
I attended the church in east Aurora for a few months to see what it was all about yearrrrssss back . They had the church picnic there and I took the family . Tbh , the people were all very nice , but lily dales itself seemed like a money grab to me . And nothing very special about it .

Old 01-29-2019, 11:02 AM

3,901 posts, read 9,443,977 times
I'm not a medium, but a grief author. I led a workshop there a few years ago.

While it my not be a slick, luxury destination, I found it to be far from depressing. I enjoyed the variety of topics covered. There were plenty of psychic mediums in residence with whom to consult, and daily events including group readings and a healing service.

The setting alone was enough to make me want to return. The lush, floral-filled village sits lakeside. There's a swimming area and covered dock, as well.

If you're into history, there's plenty of it to explore in Ron Nagy's fascinating museum as well as the many items of interest displayed in the Maplewood Hotel.

Perhaps my favorite part of my visit was sitting out on the hotel's huge wraparound porch and talking to the other visitors. I hope to return one day.

Old Yesterday, 09:15 AM

18,013 posts, read 22,341,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akm4 View Post
I'm not a medium, but a grief author. I led a workshop there a few years ago.

While it my not be a slick, luxury destination, I found it to be far from depressing. I enjoyed the variety of topics covered. There were plenty of psychic mediums in residence with whom to consult, and daily events including group readings and a healing service.

The setting alone was enough to make me want to return. The lush, floral-filled village sits lakeside. There's a swimming area and covered dock, as well.

If you're into history, there's plenty of it to explore in Ron Nagy's fascinating museum as well as the many items of interest displayed in the Maplewood Hotel.

Perhaps my favorite part of my visit was sitting out on the hotel's huge wraparound porch and talking to the other visitors. I hope to return one day.

This is so coincidental! Last night a friend of mine and I made plans to meet at Lily Dale. We are making reservations today. She is driving from downstate NY is meeting me there in July for five days. I am driving from Eastern OH.

I love the Maplewood, and watching the sun go down over the lake, in the evening. And I agree, it is one of my favorite times of the day, also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area