Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2018, 09:27 AM

260 posts, read 324,032 times

Advertisements

Yes, I know that Western New York is technically in the Northeastern region. But I would personally wager to say that WNY (in general) is culturally closer to Wisconsin or Michigan than anywhere Downstate.

Buffalo feels old and gritty like a stereotypical "Northeastern" city, but I attribute that more to its Rust Belt status than anything else. There really isn't much of an "East Coast" culture in Buffalo's suburbs, and in areas like Jamestown and Olean, there is virtually nothing there that resembles "Downstate" to me. The Italian-American population is slightly above average by US standards, but nowhere near the same extent as Connecticut or New Jersey.

In WNY, the ethnic make-up is mostly German, Polish, Scottish and Irish with Italian-Americans lagging much farther behind (aside from Buffalo and its immediate suburbs).

Buffalo also seemed to have a bit of sprawl in *some* (not all) of its suburbs, with your typical big-box stores lining the corridor. Not to mention many of its suburbs, like North Tonawanda and Lockport, having a blue-collar feel.

What do y'all think? Midwest, Northeast, both or neither? I'd say both. Geographically Northeastern, culturally a blend between the two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2018, 09:29 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Southern Canada, Tim Hortons is there.

Old 08-25-2018, 09:31 AM

260 posts, read 324,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Southern Canada, Tim Hortons is there.
Yeah, actually, I did pick up significant influence from Ontario. Especially in Niagara Falls and Buffalo's northern suburbs. One can say that it's where the Northeast, Upper Midwest and Canada converge and they would be right on the money IMO.

Old 08-25-2018, 10:22 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,401,948 times
Northeastern but mostly Great Lakes.

Old 08-25-2018, 10:38 AM

2,567 posts, read 5,313,477 times
I definitely associate WNY more with the Great Lakes (Industrial) Midwest, though there is a Northeast undercurrent there, as well. Buffalo is, after all, a part of the "fish fry belt" that stretches westward toward Milwaukee and other Catholic/Lutheran-heritage industrial areas.

Old 08-25-2018, 10:39 AM

4,530 posts, read 5,098,565 times
Buffalo and Cleveland have oft been compared as sister cities because the look (architecturally) and feel similar culturally/ethnically … and they both get tons of snow.

I think it's why both cities are considered Eastern/Midwestern hybrids. To call them "Great Lakes" cities misses the point, because Detroit, Chicago and Milwaukee are Great Lakes cities, too, but have a different flavor. For as long as I can remember, Clevelanders have debated whether their city should be classified as Eastern or Midwestern.

Old 08-25-2018, 10:47 AM

1,235 posts, read 942,387 times
If Upstate and Downstate New York were separate states then we could have a perfect Great Lakes region.

Old 08-25-2018, 10:51 AM

93,292 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Northeastern but mostly Great Lakes.
This...It is still Northeastern, also has similarities to Great Lakes cities in the Midwest and in Ontario.

Also, I’d call places like North Tonawanda and Lockport satellite cities instead of suburbs.

Old 08-31-2018, 09:32 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,035,611 times
It is simultaneously part of the Great Lakes Region and the Northeast.

Old 08-31-2018, 09:52 AM

717 posts, read 1,058,076 times
Buffalo is extremely flat, situated on a Great Lake, has a heavy polish influence, uses terms like “pop”, has fish frys, is very blue collar, has a significant drinking culture, has a distinctly midwestern accent, has low COL, and Is extremely insular. It’s arguably the most stereotypically midwestern city outside of Milwaukee. I can’t think of any northeastern traits aside from the accident of it being located at the extreme edge of the geographically large state of New York.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area