U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 01:27 PM

339 posts, read 663,329 times

Advertisements

Reading about the West Valley project does worry me..

What do you think about the Cassadaga area? Much to do there? I noticed there are a lot of houses on big parcels of land there (30-40 acres) which is our ideal. Looks more flat than other areas though- wondering if flooding is an issue around there? Is there a community center at all or do most people just head to Fredonia for their shopping and such?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2018, 04:46 PM

5,155 posts, read 3,665,076 times
Those are all tiny towns in the middle of nowhere. If that is what you want. Right in the middle of the snow belt.

Old 10-22-2018, 06:57 PM

Perfect on both counts. My husband especially is SUPER excited about all the snow and middle of nowhere is what we’re used to and love. 😊 Still 15 minutes from Fredonia businesses and an hour from Erie and Buffalo. Just hoping there’s some hiking around there and we’ll be able to hunt our property.

Old 10-23-2018, 09:59 PM

4,414 posts, read 3,198,279 times
You live in Alaska currently? Quite the move.

Old 10-24-2018, 01:17 PM

2,634 posts, read 1,405,032 times
Out of curosity, you mentioned not wanting to be near I90

Do you mind me asking why?

Old 10-24-2018, 07:23 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,229,123 times
Gowanda,Collins, Perrysburg, Cattaragus. Homes are cheaper there. Forget East Aurora. if it's the outdoor life you crave, those are the areas to look at. You have the Zoar Valley, numerous public lands to hike hunt fish. Allegheny state park, allows hunting and has cabins for rent. Western NY is a sportsmans paradise. Donkey size deer abound. Turkey, grouse, pheasant, waterfowl galore.
Lake Erie has world class smallmouth, brown trout. You can hunt "sea ducks" on Erie too. Be live it or not a lot of good shooting occurs in the niagra River.

check this https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/7844.html

do Google and watch on YouTube Cattaragus Creek Steelhead fishing. World class!
don't forget about 18 mile creek too. If I didn't love saltwater fishing so much, I would call WNY my home.

Didn't you pose a similar question in the Maine or New Hampshire board?

Good luck, it's worth it, and way more game than New England .

Old 10-26-2018, 04:38 PM

Matt, yep grew up in Dunkirk but have lived in Alaska for 10 years. Looking to get back closer to family now that we have a kid.

Drinkthekoolaid, I just would prefer to live east of Dunkirk, where I'd be taking county highways to visit family, and avoiding using the thruway to commute to work (wherever that will be). I hate driving alongside all the semis- I've seen them drifting across the lane lines too many times, and there have been a few times trucks have tried to change lanes as I was passing them.

grouse, this is all good to know! Thanks! I did post a similar question on the Maine board! Was thinking of moving there but decided I'd rather be 30 miles from family as opposed to a full day's drive. We can always (and will) vacation to Maine. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area