Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2019, 08:01 PM

72,981 posts, read 62,569,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Maybe I’m not thinking strictly in terms of “identification”, but more about strictly opportunities to attend a game in regards to MLB. Especially if the team is in the National League versus the American League.

Seattle is still some distance away from British Columbia, while if you grow up in the Niagara Region of Ontario, you get Buffalo media. So, there is a difference in that regard.

I’ll give a couple of examples of the difference. Many college students in the area would go to Canada due to the lower drinking age(a couple of siblings that graduated from Buff State did this at times). There also was a Live to Air broadcast on WBLK, an “urban” format radio station, from a club in Hamilton on Friday nights for years in the recent past. These are just a couple of examples of the crossover that occurs and if you’re not familiar with it, you may underestimate it.

With the minor league aspect, it actually was more saturated at the time of the potential expansion, but the only real competition in that regard would be the Batavia Muckdogs and Rochester Red Wings. So, that would have likely been a bigger issue at the time, but not as much now.
I think about identities because it's part of the local culture. It can be as strong as the distance to a place.
Seattle is further from Vancouver than Buffalo is from the US/Canada border. And there is some cross border commerce between both places. Going to Canada to drink would definitely be a thing. Americans on the U.S. Mexico border do the same.

The question is this. How much strong is the Blue Jay factor in the region? Even with Buffalo radio, even with the convenience, there will still be some initial resistance. Some will go to the games, others won't. How many will go is the quesion.

This is just me. If I lived in the Buffalo area, I'm more likely to pull for the Blue Jays. Toronto is across the lake, and New York City far, far away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2019, 08:11 PM

72,981 posts, read 62,569,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niagarapurple View Post
Every new NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, and now even College Stadiums Soccer and Nascar Tracks are built with Entertainment districts/malls with 100's of corporate luxury suites being built and each new one gets bigger and cost more $ Billions,
There is still one thing to consider. Buffalo is struggling to attract people to move there. A new neighborhood could be built around that stadium, but how many people will live there?

Atlanta metropolitan area is one of the fastest growing places in the USA. Apartments were built around the new stadium. Despite the high rents, they can always find renters. People are constantly moving to Georgia and there are those seeking either to live near the night life, or live closer to Atlanta. Buffalo metropolitan area has seen its population drop. This will be Buffalo's biggest challenge in getting in MLB team.

Old 03-31-2019, 12:14 AM

93,235 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
There is still one thing to consider. Buffalo is struggling to attract people to move there. A new neighborhood could be built around that stadium, but how many people will live there?

Atlanta metropolitan area is one of the fastest growing places in the USA. Apartments were built around the new stadium. Despite the high rents, they can always find renters. People are constantly moving to Georgia and there are those seeking either to live near the night life, or live closer to Atlanta. Buffalo metropolitan area has seen its population drop. This will be Buffalo's biggest challenge in getting in MLB team.
To be honest, this hasn't been brought up in years, as far as I can remember.

Depending on the information used, there seems to be at least a leveling of the population in the city/area. So, it may be stabilizing and given that there is literally another thread about there being job openings available for the taking for those with the right skills, it could get new blood coming in.

As for the identity thing, again, I just think that while there may be a "Blue Jays factor", people would cross the bridge to come to games. They already do for the other teams.

This paper from 2014 shows that 15% of season ticket holders to Buffalo Sabres games come from the Niagara Region: http://www.brianmmills.com/uploads/2...l_jse_2014.pdf

Very interesting paper that also mentions MLB as well.

Old 03-31-2019, 05:47 AM

5,686 posts, read 4,086,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JH6 View Post
Because corporations don't want to entertain clients in a dumpy stadium with bandaids to watch a team lose most of the games in the dead of winter.

Buffalo should build a dome stadium for the Bills. The stadium in Orchard Park is a total dump, it looks like a small college stadium.

I for one, hardly went to Bills games when I lived in the area. I had no desire to sit in sub zero temperatures to watch the games. I would have spent money if it were a domed stadium.

A while back, when they rehabbed the stadium, we learned that there were actually more corporate suites leased to Rochester companies than Buffalo companies. Another sign that Buffalo can't afford a new stadium, and another sign for regionalism. I also wonder why they can't tell us where the fan base really is. They have that information with season ticket holders.

Old 03-31-2019, 07:27 AM

6,407 posts, read 4,901,771 times
https://buffalonews.com/2019/03/31/p...e-not-do-that/

Old 03-31-2019, 10:00 AM

304 posts, read 217,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
Renovations costs are going to cost as much or more then a new Stadium because its 50 years old and needs complete tear downs and tons of rebuilds to l conform and bring it up to New NFL Stadiums Standards. Lambeau field had renovations in 2003 & 2011 that cost $500 Million, Soldier Field renovations cost $660 Million back in 2003 today's cost would be over $ 1 Billion Arrowhead stadium renovations cost $850 million and that's back in 2006 today's costs would be well over $ Billion. Don't forget Key Center Arena also needs major renovations and thats going to cost to at least $300 to $400 Millions.

Old 03-31-2019, 10:09 AM

It reminds me of a poor stepchild that always gets hand me downs. Its too much for Buffalo to have a beautiful state of the art downtown stadium. The best we can hope for its to keep fixing up our antique, poorly located, New Era Field. Just look at the Peace Bridge, its antiquated and an attempt to replace it with a signature bridge was mired in politics and the money went elsewhere. The rockpile was better than this, at least it had character. It was great in "the Natural"

Old 03-31-2019, 10:52 AM

https://buffalonews.com/2019/03/31/a...s-for-buffalo/

Old 03-31-2019, 11:41 AM

304 posts, read 217,837 times
Also all national economists future models on the economy, jobs, population etc... shows Buffalo & WNY to shrink, lose more population, business's and jobs over the next 20 & 30 years, In the future Buffalo will be lucky if they can support and even keep the Sabers

Old 03-31-2019, 12:39 PM

22 posts, read 15,104 times
The one thing Buffalo should hope is that the NFL doesn't pull a St.Louis San Diego or Oakland out of those 3 St.Louis was on the verge of building a 1.2 billion dollar stadium on the Mississippi Riverfront & that still wasn't enough to keep the Rams. As for the Sabre's Key Bank renovation will cost well over 150-200 Million that's just updating. St.Louis is putting over 160 or so million in updating Enterprise center but I'm sure that cost has gone up some so likely around 180 million the same with Cleveland..
The one thing Buffalo desperately needs is significant corporate help & likely taxpayer's help however from what i heard most people that live there aren't supportive of that which i don't blame them.
I truly hope Buffalo can pull it off & i think Buffalo has a bit of an edge as the commissioner is from there i believe so its possible that local politicians have some sway in how things get done.
Sadly in todays economics everything is a hefty price for anything nice specially with the bells & whistles..
If Buffalo had at least 1.5 Million more people living in the WNY area on the US side i don't think it would be much of issue as 1.5 Million more would put Buffalo in the likes of Cleveland St.Louis Cincinnati Tampa Sacramento Austin Baltimore
One Thing Buffalo really needs to figure out what is more important & is it really worth it to be competitive.. Key Bank New Era Field Convention Center is way more than climbing Mauna Kea starting from the bottom of the ocean then the rest by land..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area