Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 09:30 AM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
The thing is, without Rochester, Buffalo wouldn't have the teams they have now. The good news is, if the major upstate cities would swallow some pride, we could have ALL of the pro sports teams with 3-4 million fans
You could include the Niagara Region/Peninsula of Ontario too. That is the thing with sports teams, especially the Buffalo teams, there are other areas with a similar population as the Buffalo metro area right next to it. So, teams really can have a footprint that goes beyond the metro area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2019, 07:36 AM

72,981 posts, read 62,569,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
You could include the Niagara Region/Peninsula of Ontario too. That is the thing with sports teams, especially the Buffalo teams, there are other areas with a similar population as the Buffalo metro area right next to it. So, teams really can have a footprint that goes beyond the metro area.
Buffalo might be small compared to other major cities, but with the rest of western New York, it can pull from other places. It could have a footprint as far away from Syracuse.

Old 05-31-2019, 07:44 AM

6,406 posts, read 4,899,454 times
I have been staying in Southern Ontario for the past month and a half and Buffalo sports are not high on the agenda here. High school and college sports are the thing and of course the Raptors. There are a lot of regional sports here like: hockey, soccer, baseball and basketball. You don't hear of see much about the USA here except for the crazy politics. They even have a curling center here (not for hair).

Old 05-31-2019, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Buffalo might be small compared to other major cities, but with the rest of western New York, it can pull from other places. It could have a footprint as far away from Syracuse.
They likely would for occasional games/series.

We still can not underestimate that some nearby Canadians would attend as well.

Old 06-23-2019, 03:32 PM

72,981 posts, read 62,569,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
They likely would for occasional games/series.

We still can not underestimate that some nearby Canadians would attend as well.
I'm not saying they wouldn't attend games. I'm just looking at this from the perspective of who would support whom first. I think there would be a "Canada first" mentality, particularly if a Buffalo-based MLB team was in the AL. Now, if it was in the NL, that would be a different story. Then there would definitely be more Canadians going to Buffalo to see the games.

But as far as Western New York goes, a Buffalo-based team would have a footprint as far away as Syracuse.

Old 06-23-2019, 06:16 PM

5,686 posts, read 4,086,058 times
Quote:

But as far as Western New York goes, a Buffalo-based team would have a footprint as far away as Syracuse.

I seriously doubt that. The Bills aren't even Rochester's team. Syracuse, maybe a handfull

Old 06-23-2019, 08:39 PM

3,573 posts, read 3,072,493 times
Quote:
I seriously doubt that. The Bills aren't even Rochester's team.
Quote:
The thing is, without Rochester, Buffalo wouldn't have the teams they have now.
So which is it, young man?

Old 06-23-2019, 10:05 PM

5,686 posts, read 4,086,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
So which is it, young man?

I understand that the business community in Rochester supports the Bills. All I can tell you is my friends, associates, and just in general noticing the surroundings. The Bills aren't that popular. If they start winning, they come out of the woodwork.

Old 06-24-2019, 01:09 PM

Quote:
I'm not saying they wouldn't attend games. I'm just looking at this from the perspective of who would support whom first. I think there would be a "Canada first" mentality, particularly if a Buffalo-based MLB team was in the AL. Now, if it was in the NL, that would be a different story. Then there would definitely be more Canadians going to Buffalo to see the games.

I think the fan base would have been similar to that of the Bills, but with the bulk of attendance coming from the immediate area on both sides of the border. Then, if you had a home series with the NYC area teams, Pittsburgh, Toronto or even inter league games with say Cleveland or Boston(yes I know the Yankees and Blue Jays would be interesting league as well), you would likely have good attendance at those games too.

I also think that when Empire and later Time Warner/Spectrum Sports Channel was active, they would have likely broadcasted the games across much or most of Upstate NY.

Old 06-11-2020, 06:33 PM

Could Buffalo have Major League Baseball this year? I saw some information on ESPN and read this article: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.was...outputType=amp

So, it could become a reality, at least for this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area