Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2008, 01:48 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,903,549 times

Advertisements

I am curious as to whether you are supposed to encourage them on your property by feeding them? Are..there are a lot of deer ? They cause a lot of traffic problems I udnerstand -I have friends that live in the area...thanks..any laws or issues with the local govts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 02:02 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,855,478 times
yes it is illegal to feed the deer, in cheektowaga, a woman used to feed the deer at the park all the time, she was arrested i believe after many warnings....

Old 05-26-2008, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAugust View Post
yes it is illegal to feed the deer, in cheektowaga, a woman used to feed the deer at the park all the time, she was arrested i believe after many warnings....
I assume the same is true for Amherst -is it Erie county or is each town responsible?

Old 05-26-2008, 05:05 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,855,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12buttons View Post
I assume the same is true for Amherst -is it Erie county or is each town responsible?
I do not know, but I would think it would be illegal everywhere as there is a problem with them - that WE caused though.....

Old 05-26-2008, 05:12 PM

559 posts, read 1,394,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAugust View Post
I remember seeing her on the news.

I'm pretty sure it's illegal to feed the deer anywhere in Erie County, but I'm not sure.

Old 05-26-2008, 09:40 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,810,109 times
Yes, it is illegal. While you can put out a salt lick in agricultural areas, you cannot keep it out in hunting season ( it is like bait).Feeding the deer is often a way to make them ill. Their stomachs are "tuned" as to what they can eat during what times of year; right now, deer in our yard are chomping on whatever falls off silver maples -- but leaving my bushes alone. later, they will eat berries. In winter, they will eat branches. OTOH, if you feed them, they may get ill. Sick deer are coyote prey; I just cleaned up a few parts of carcass gnawed on by a coyote - we saw it feeding on the deer whic had been hit - not killed - by a car. The coyote downed it.

Deer are NOT Bambi; they are wild animals. If you are a hunter, you take care not to take sick animals ( it is easy to tell if they walk funny, are covered in sores, etc.)

Old 05-27-2008, 03:57 PM

327 posts, read 939,283 times
Thumbs up ask for explanation

Check out with erie.gov
Ask them the same question and a written explanation.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:43 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,810,109 times
Check today's Buffalo News. (5/28/08) The bait and shoot ( police marksmen) in Cheektowaga has greatly diminished the deer in Stigelmeir Park and the park is coming back ( what the deer ate). The meat went to the food bank. (venison is very lean and nutritious). The deer feeding there was causing great problems and one woman did go to jail over it since she refused to stop feeding them.

Amherst and Clarence also do bait and shoot to keep the population down.
Why feed the deer and help create a herd of 400 in an area meant for 150? They were the size of large dogs in the Wehrle area east of Harris Hill Rd. Lately they are totally gone -- or you see an occasional large deer ( rare).

Old 07-25-2008, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
Check today's Buffalo News. (5/28/08) The bait and shoot ( police marksmen) in Cheektowaga has greatly diminished the deer in Stigelmeir Park and the park is coming back ( what the deer ate). The meat went to the food bank. (venison is very lean and nutritious). The deer feeding there was causing great problems and one woman did go to jail over it since she refused to stop feeding them.

Amherst and Clarence also do bait and shoot to keep the population down.
Why feed the deer and help create a herd of 400 in an area meant for 150? They were the size of large dogs in the Wehrle area east of Harris Hill Rd. Lately they are totally gone -- or you see an occasional large deer ( rare).

thank you all for the info...this is what makes this place work..I never knew you could make the deer sick...I remember in Getzville hearing the helicopters over my house montioring their movement - I never fed them.They stayed far away from the house and mainly saw them at night...thanks again..now about those Canadian geese terrorizing the poodle next door...lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area