Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 02:36 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,138,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
In NYC, high schools with a large percentage of asian students in "poor zipcodes" (where asian immigrants are often illegal and are restaurant workers, garment shop workers and in construction) have significantly higher test scores than other NYC high schools (expect for the selective-exam entry specialized high schools) with low asian numbers. No bias-selection there.
In addition, about 35% of the asian students in the specialized high schools are eligibile for free school luinches, due to their (usually uneducated) parents being working poor.

Its not genetic however, and it is cultural. Doesn't take much scrutiny to see that.

Go to chinatown in Manhattan, Flushing or Sunset park and you'll soon experience the weakness of your argument. That same argument is put forth by academics interested (for professional purposes) in denying that culture is the most important component in academic success. Poeple like you spreading it give it currency that is not justified. Its as weak as the " 'oriental' is offensive because it only ever applied to rugs/vases" - hogwash. "Oriental" is offensive because of the context and way it was used as an epithet in white America for decades.

Its not PC to admit cultural practices are the largest single influence on academic success. And the thorn of low-income asian academic success is especially troublesome to the PC recieved wisdom - generally glossed over and ignored.
I will add that in the US, the cultural aspect of poverty is a very real thing, and it almost always involves a family tradition of discounting or even denigrating the importance of education. Where there's a family tradition of valuing education, that family pulls itself out of poverty, even if that tradition is a very recent one like a single mom being determined that her kids go to college. The people who stay mired in poverty are the ones who shun education.

Historically, middle class whites, Jews, and Asians have been noted for valuing education. Poor and working class whites from rural areas, blue collar workers, and European immigrants who lived in large urban enclaves have been noted for not particularly embracing education. European immigrants, Blacks, and Hispanics who lived in smaller ethnic/racial enclaves so that they had more contact with WASP culture have tended to embrace white middle class attitudes towards education.

In the supposed "good old days" before the 1980s when there were still lots of farm and/or factory jobs around for the minimally educated, people could actually climb out of poverty without being educated. It would take longer, but they might be able to do it. While it's not impossible to do today, it's much harder, and the progress much smaller.

Asians, as a group, seem to get the link between education and success more than other racial/ethnic groups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 03:00 PM

91,948 posts, read 122,044,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
I will add that in the US, the cultural aspect of poverty is a very real thing, and it almost always involves a family tradition of discounting or even denigrating the importance of education. Where there's a family tradition of valuing education, that family pulls itself out of poverty, even if that tradition is a very recent one like a single mom being determined that her kids go to college. The people who stay mired in poverty are the ones who shun education.

Historically, middle class whites, Jews, and Asians have been noted for valuing education. Poor and working class whites from rural areas, blue collar workers, and European immigrants who lived in large urban enclaves have been noted for not particularly embracing education. European immigrants, Blacks, and Hispanics who lived in smaller ethnic/racial enclaves so that they had more contact with WASP culture have tended to embrace white middle class attitudes towards education.

In the supposed "good old days" before the 1980s when there were still lots of farm and/or factory jobs around for the minimally educated, people could actually climb out of poverty without being educated. It would take longer, but they might be able to do it. While it's not impossible to do today, it's much harder, and the progress much smaller.

Asians, as a group, seem to get the link between education and success more than other racial/ethnic groups.
Not to get off topic, but what may surprise people is that African immigrants are actually the most educated immigrants in the US. So, the valuing of education is cuts across all groups to a degree. I suggest people read this interesting article as well: Thomas Sowell - "The Education of Minority Children"

Some SE Asians, also have some of the highest poverty rates in the US and are involved in gangs and violent activity in certain enclaves. So, even that cuts across all groups to some degree in the US as well.

Old 11-20-2013, 05:19 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,138,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Not to get off topic, but what may surprise people is that African immigrants are actually the most educated immigrants in the US. So, the valuing of education is cuts across all groups to a degree. I suggest people read this interesting article as well: Thomas Sowell - "The Education of Minority Children"

Some SE Asians, also have some of the highest poverty rates in the US and are involved in gangs and violent activity in certain enclaves. So, even that cuts across all groups to some degree in the US as well.
Immigrants are a very complex group -- and they always have been. You can make some generalizations, but there were and are always exceptions, particularly when you talk about the people who come here as as "desirable" immigrants, refugees, asylum seekers, relatives of citizens, and even as illegals. For example, the stereotypical "illegal" is a barely literate Mexican manual laborer but a significant number of illegal immigrants are actually Canadians who are largely indistinguishable from most other Americans, especially if they pick up the local American dialect easily.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:49 PM

3 posts, read 3,955 times
Personally I don't really care for Asians. The ones I have encountered have been overly nosy and overly involved in my affairs and business. Plus they are quick to call the cops on you. It has completely turned me off to them. I'm not mean or disrespectful towards them but I will avoid them if possible.

Old 01-04-2014, 12:08 PM

417 posts, read 863,362 times
I live in Lancaster and Asians have occupied a house behind mine with a lake in between us around the same time I bought my house. Haven't spoken to them but I welcome it, now Africans on the other hand, I admit i'm still on the fence.

Old 06-08-2014, 11:45 AM

1 posts, read 1,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvermug View Post
I am Asian, too; and I can relate.

I also came here to the US for my grad school and came here to Buffalo ~2 years ago. You are even in a better situation than I am because you have friends with you.

I do not have any. And I can not find my fellow Filipinos here.

So, I have to deal with it. Let everyday pass. Sleep and wait for the morning.

Such a boring life and I agree with you --if only I could find a circle of friends here, regardless of race, that would be great. I found Indian friends from work but they are all trying to get out of this place, moving to other cities.

Hi, are you still in buffalo? I'm new here and I'm also looking for Filipino friends.. Reply please if you're interested

Old 07-20-2014, 12:10 AM

5 posts, read 7,150 times
They make (some) good food.

Old 07-20-2014, 03:56 PM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,199,881 times
All of the asian people are at University at Buffalo getting their education.

Old 12-10-2015, 08:54 AM

1 posts, read 894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvermug View Post
I am Asian, too; and I can relate.

I also came here to the US for my grad school and came here to Buffalo ~2 years ago. You are even in a better situation than I am because you have friends with you.

I do not have any. And I can not find my fellow Filipinos here.

So, I have to deal with it. Let everyday pass. Sleep and wait for the morning.

Such a boring life and I agree with you --if only I could find a circle of friends here, regardless of race, that would be great. I found Indian friends from work but they are all trying to get out of this place, moving to other cities.
I'm Asian too and new here in Buffalo. I'm also looking for a friends if possible. Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area