Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 05:43 PM

1 posts, read 4,200 times

Advertisements

my neighborhood in south buffalo went down in two years. (PR invasion)

the cops are emansculated because they are outnumbered and they know it.

I had a break in, they took all the big appliances of two apartments(subdivided from one big house). The police never investigated, the officer that was supossed to do the investigation (there were witnesses) never did, but lied to me everytime i managed to get hold of him. finally he was transferred ( i was told) and the case file went with him never to be seen again.(?) I was not able to take the case to court because the officer never did the investigation. insurance did not pay because i didnt take the case to court.

the stop **** controlling the water from the main into the house, which are buried 5 feet underground, broke, and it turned out that it was my responsibililty to fix it, at a 4ooo cost.

that was the last straw. LOst a bunch of money but got the heck out never but never to return, not even passing through. a hell hole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 07:01 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,857,067 times
theres a bad apple in every profession, and I am sorry you got one that was in regard to your break in.

It is the home owners responsibility to fix a broken water line, that has nothing to do with Buffalo.

I would be curious as to the street in South Buffalo that you lived on - many times people refer to South Buffalo and in fact, it's not really SB - its the first ward or another close by area.

I hope you moved somewhere where you are happier!!!

Finally, I would assume that you knew where you were buying since especially you were going to be living there, you should check the neighborhood before you buy anywhere.

Old 07-13-2008, 12:47 PM

2,972 posts, read 8,214,396 times
Angry In defense!

So you've taken a brush an painted a negative picture of the entire City of Buffalo, huh?

Quote:
Buffalo is really bad news. Here is why

Nice, real nice.

While I feel bad for you & the circumstances mentioned, please try to remember that crime occurs in every city and every town of every state.

Instead of running away then bashing Buffalo over the internet, you could have filed acomplint with the City of Buffalo via the Mayor's office, and with the Chief of the A-District police. You could have also went to channel 4 news "Call 4 Action" to get the investigation re-opened, especially since you say there were witnesses. If it was one officer who blew-off a case, it doesn't mean the the entire police dept. is as you have explained.

I'd like to point out to readers who may not otherwise know, the A district is the largest land size with the fewest number of police officers throughout the city.

I am happy that CAug mentioned the responsibility of property owners when it comes to watermains. As a property owner, it should have been common knowledge, like when the furnace breaks down.

Did you sell your house? Or are you now an "out of state" landlord?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAug
I would be curious as to the street in South Buffalo that you lived on - many times people refer to South Buffalo and in fact, it's not really SB - its the first ward or another close by area.
South Buffalo is the areas of Seneca St., Abbott Rd., McKinley Pkwy & South Park Ave., boarding with Babcock, Kiersertown, and West Seneca. The Valley & the Old First Ward are South Buffalo as well.

Old 07-14-2008, 03:47 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,857,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedupWNY View Post
South Buffalo is the areas of Seneca St., Abbott Rd., McKinley Pkwy & South Park Ave., boarding with Babcock, Kiersertown, and West Seneca. The Valley & the Old First Ward are South Buffalo as well.
True in regard to schematics, but in that particular part of town, even though tech they are part of South Buffalo, (you are correct), each area is defined by their residents specifically, note kiersertown, the valley and the old first ward, not many of those residents will say, oh I live in SB, normally they will refer to their neighborhood as you have.........

South Buffalo people are very protective of their "turf" - I lived there for years!!! As I might add are those who live in Kiesertown or the old first ward.

Now the weathers gonna be great today - lets get out and have some fun and enjoy the sun that everyone says doesnt exist here!!!!

Old 07-14-2008, 07:09 AM

1,293 posts, read 4,998,613 times
Unfortunately the water line is your problem. Crime in Buffalo is no worse than most other cities. At least in the northern states you don't have as much of a problem with illegal immigration, put that in the mix and see what kind of fun you would have.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:33 AM

5 posts, read 37,270 times
Quote:
At least in the northern states you don't have as much of a problem with illegal immigration, put that in the mix and see what kind of fun you would have.
I will personally testify to this one. I grew up in the buffalo suburbs (Amherst) and wound up out here in the SF bay area in California after finishing my enlistment in the military. I stayed because I landed a really great job. Unfortunately I absolutely hate this state and can't wait to leave.

For starters people look at me like I'm crazy when I say there's WAY WAY too much sunshine. Yes, I said sun. Can you imagine NOT seeing a single drop of rain for 6-7 months??? It's almost completely unnatural!

Next you've got San Francisco (a bit north of where I live) and the particular section that have a large population of gay people. Look - they want to do their thing and that's fine... just don't throw it in my face every day - as in the ridiculous completely bare naked gay street festivals the city lets you put on. I still can't believe the folsom street fair allows HUNDREDS & HUNDREDS & HUNDREDS of people to walk around with absolutely nothing on.

Then you've got the numerous Asians that have been living here for 2-3 decades and have not bothered to learn to speak more than 2 words of English the entire time. They've made their entire own community here and could care less if you can communicate with them or not.

Last, Mexican illegals. Oh my god - every single street corner in just about every single city can be found to have 10-13 illegal Mexicans waiting to be picked up for day laboring. This is NOT an exaggeration. I've seen police drive right by them knowing full well they are not legal residents, yet make no attempt to stop and inquire. Hell, San Mateo (a sort of "burb" here) built a gathering center for them organize in the morning to clean up the individual corners. There are proper blue & white street signs reading, "Day Worker Center" directing you where to pick them up. Blue & White sign just like the ones used to signify where a hospital is. Yet guaranteed nearly 100% of the individuals there are illegal.

What's wrong with this? These people have children here. The children are at home many hours of the day & night (especially during the summer) with little to no adult supervision because their parents are out working double shifts or two jobs to afford to stay here. The children grow up little punks and get into trouble and make the crime rate go through the roof.

These people get sick and need medical attention and need schooling. Who do you think pays that bill? Not them! YOU DO! Our health care system is broke and unaffordable to even the most rooted American citizen, the schools (here anyway) are overburdened with 2-3 students SHARING A BOOK... I even had one elementary teacher tell me she had 10 more students in her class than she was allowed chairs (40 in total) - but California STILL REFUSES to acknowledge the illegal immigration problem and start picking these people up and deporting them. Worse yet, the illegals just head as far north & north east as possible now because they know the further inland they get the less likely they'll ever be deported because it would cost way too much money & time to deal with them.

So there you have it. ***** all you like about Buffalo and what neighborhood is bad, yada yada. But I'm telling you coming from here (by the way, I'm not even talking about L.A. - that place is a complete $hithole with at least 10 times the problem I mentioned) - coming from here there hardly is a "bad neighborhood" in the Buffalo area - at least not in South Buffalo.

Old 10-08-2008, 02:29 PM

1,293 posts, read 4,998,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by menlomanager View Post
I will personally testify to this one. I grew up in the buffalo suburbs (Amherst) and wound up out here in the SF bay area in California after finishing my enlistment in the military. I stayed because I landed a really great job. Unfortunately I absolutely hate this state and can't wait to leave.

For starters people look at me like I'm crazy when I say there's WAY WAY too much sunshine. Yes, I said sun. Can you imagine NOT seeing a single drop of rain for 6-7 months??? It's almost completely unnatural!

Next you've got San Francisco (a bit north of where I live) and the particular section that have a large population of gay people. Look - they want to do their thing and that's fine... just don't throw it in my face every day - as in the ridiculous completely bare naked gay street festivals the city lets you put on. I still can't believe the folsom street fair allows HUNDREDS & HUNDREDS & HUNDREDS of people to walk around with absolutely nothing on.

Then you've got the numerous Asians that have been living here for 2-3 decades and have not bothered to learn to speak more than 2 words of English the entire time. They've made their entire own community here and could care less if you can communicate with them or not.

Last, Mexican illegals. Oh my god - every single street corner in just about every single city can be found to have 10-13 illegal Mexicans waiting to be picked up for day laboring. This is NOT an exaggeration. I've seen police drive right by them knowing full well they are not legal residents, yet make no attempt to stop and inquire. Hell, San Mateo (a sort of "burb" here) built a gathering center for them organize in the morning to clean up the individual corners. There are proper blue & white street signs reading, "Day Worker Center" directing you where to pick them up. Blue & White sign just like the ones used to signify where a hospital is. Yet guaranteed nearly 100% of the individuals there are illegal.

What's wrong with this? These people have children here. The children are at home many hours of the day & night (especially during the summer) with little to no adult supervision because their parents are out working double shifts or two jobs to afford to stay here. The children grow up little punks and get into trouble and make the crime rate go through the roof.

These people get sick and need medical attention and need schooling. Who do you think pays that bill? Not them! YOU DO! Our health care system is broke and unaffordable to even the most rooted American citizen, the schools (here anyway) are overburdened with 2-3 students SHARING A BOOK... I even had one elementary teacher tell me she had 10 more students in her class than she was allowed chairs (40 in total) - but California STILL REFUSES to acknowledge the illegal immigration problem and start picking these people up and deporting them. Worse yet, the illegals just head as far north & north east as possible now because they know the further inland they get the less likely they'll ever be deported because it would cost way too much money & time to deal with them.

So there you have it. ***** all you like about Buffalo and what neighborhood is bad, yada yada. But I'm telling you coming from here (by the way, I'm not even talking about L.A. - that place is a complete $hithole with at least 10 times the problem I mentioned) - coming from here there hardly is a "bad neighborhood" in the Buffalo area - at least not in South Buffalo.
Wow, thats a big rant. Everybody complains about where they live, but how many people actually go and move some place else? I give you credit because you actually live somewhere else.

Old 10-30-2008, 01:01 PM

784 posts, read 2,265,513 times
I understand you woes. The cops in Buffalo are so crooked they walk straight. I had similar problems. They just dont do anything. And they allow drug dealers do deal year after year while knowing about it. I used to live on parkdale and I would get problems all the time. I had a crack dealer above me. Once I called the cops cause one of my neighbors was steeling my electric. All the cop did was cut the cord. Then he did something to let me know that he knew that they were selling crack up above yet, I am not a narc but it was nice to know he knew yet never even as time went buy done anything about it. Buffalo police are so crooked. Those who have never lived in Buffalo will never understand..

Old 10-30-2008, 06:50 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,522,142 times
Menlomanager don't tell me you're an economist or a demographer. Racist you're probably more qualified for.

There have been many studies on the effects of immigration and even the worst say they cost us $120milion a year in the first generation but all admit in the 2nd generation they are among the most productive citizens.

If you were really worried about the budget you might consider that we spend $120 million in a matter of minutes in Iraq. That's ok right cause we are killing arabs.

Old 10-31-2008, 02:05 AM

5 posts, read 37,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
Menlomanager don't tell me you're an economist or a demographer. Racist you're probably more qualified for.

There have been many studies on the effects of immigration and even the worst say they cost us $120milion a year in the first generation but all admit in the 2nd generation they are among the most productive citizens.

If you were really worried about the budget you might consider that we spend $120 million in a matter of minutes in Iraq. That's ok right cause we are killing arabs.
Interesting how you shove words in my mouth that have nothing to do with what I took issue with (Iraq). However since you brought it up I will address it. I'm pissed we spend the amount of money that leaves our country for places like this. How the F#$# does Iraq have a $50 billion surplus but we're shelling out $70 billion to help build up their infrastructure?

I'd sure like to know where you get your 2nd generation illegal immigrants statistics from... I can walk down the street and film for youtube about 30-40 punk @ss kids whose parents are 90%+ illegal. One look at them and their behavior and you'd know just how "productive" they're going to be when they grow up (this supposed 2nd generation you talk about). It's a bunch of Bull$hit - Their parents are so busy trying to bring money into the household that they don't have the time or resources to supervise their children.

What's worse is the illegal families pack 3-4 families into a single home. What's wrong with this? The traditional expectation that you can afford a place to live for your individual family is blown out of the water. Why rent a 2 bedroom home for $1700 to a small family when you can charge $2500 for it to 4 family groups of illegals and turn your head the other way? They can afford it easier because they split the rent and pack as many people in there to lower the individual costs.

The same is going on with jobs. It's sickening to know the things you used to be able to make a decent living wage on (unskilled and skilled labor) are now no longer options in most areas where illegal immigration is rampant. Why would some employer hire you and pay the necessary amount for you to live in your area, plus benefits when they can just swing by the local streets (or home depot) and pick up a few illegals for the day at a fraction of the cost?

No where have I said, "I hate mexicans..." or any race for that matter. You are obviously one of those people who have tried to shape the word "racist" into a new meaning to support your twisted ideas.
__________________________________________________ ________
The three cited definitions under dictionary.com for "Racist":
1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
3. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races
__________________________________________________ ________

The only defining time I singled out a race was when I said "Mexican illegals" because it just so happens that where I live that is the dominant illegal immigration problem. There aren't exactly a ton of Canadians seeking out coyotes to traverse them across the border, but I guess because I talked about the white elephant so many people seem to be trying to stuff under the carpet it makes me a racist in your eyes...

I have an idea, you should run for president! If Bush got in there you certainly can!

Moderator cut: personal attack

Last edited by bellafinzi; 10-31-2008 at 02:26 PM.. Reason: personal attacks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area