Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 08:31 PM

20 posts, read 83,975 times

Advertisements

Tha b'lo is gonna be the hottest place around since they signed t.o.!!

Old 08-03-2009, 08:00 AM

11 posts, read 27,605 times
Default You misunderstood

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerBrink View Post
I'm surprised a list like this is getting attention as it's based on outdated data. First, the national unemployment rate for July was 5.7% not 4.3% and the loss of population is based on an estimate not a census. Further, Buffalo is NOT in the same category as Charleston WV and Flint Michigan. And Scranton is beginning to turn around, too. Forbes - go blow!

Honestly, I fond this thread amusing, but you misread the statistics, and, neccessarily, you did not understand their intent. The national unemployment rate is not shown, simply Buffalo's unemployment rate in June of 2008 as compared with the statistical average for the year 2000-in the city of Buffalo (not national, not 2008, not July). That means that Buffalo's unemployment rate is rising while the population of the city is falling. This is precisely why Buffalo is on par with cities like Charleston, WV and Flint, MI. Having lived in Buffalo and moved, I can talk about opinion all day long, and so can anyone else. When you look objectively at the facts, however, you can begin to understand why the CITY is on this list. I have my reasons for leaving Buffalo, and I would not consider moving back. You all have your reasons for staying, and I wouldn't try to convince you that you're wrong. I miss the food and the people, but stop taking this personally. Everyone has their own reasons for staying or leaving, and they are right...regardless. All we can do is what we think is best for ourselves and our families. I will say this, Buffalo will always hold a place near and dear to my heart, but I wasn't satisfied living there (personally and professionally). If you are, great. All I ask is do not attack me because I chose to leave, look at the facts (not future speculation on what is coming) and tell me Buffalo would DESERVE to be on a list of the fastest growing cities.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:18 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,733,929 times
Forbes doesnt know jack. Never believe Forbes. Forbes is Biased

Old 08-03-2009, 10:56 AM

1,293 posts, read 4,997,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff 11 View Post
And even if that were not true, almost all of these Forbes, Yahoo, MSNBC or whatever else comparisons show one figure only. How can you rate a city on one figure?

Old 08-03-2009, 11:19 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,216,608 times
What a depressing thread. Some of these posts are certainly going to scare off people like me who are considering moving to Buffalo. Of course I won't make any decisions until I visit the city and do some research. One thing that concerns me are the taxes. If they're worst than New Jersey, then forget about it.

There must be a way to turn the city around.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:19 PM

1,515 posts, read 3,331,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
What a depressing thread. Some of these posts are certainly going to scare off people like me who are considering moving to Buffalo. Of course I won't make any decisions until I visit the city and do some research. One thing that concerns me are the taxes. If they're worst than New Jersey, then forget about it.
They are. Don't make the mistake I did. You seem like a nice enough guy, so I would say for your own good, don't come here. Go to Pennsylvania, Ohio, New Hampshire, Maryland - whatever, just don't go to New York - especially Buffalo.

Quote:
Forbes is biased against Buffalo . Do you have absolutely ANY proof to back that up?

Old 08-03-2009, 03:49 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,347,388 times
Quote:

There must be a way to turn the city around.
Everyone has their own opinion. Don't listen to them or take them seriously until you discover a region for yourself. Do your own research and visit the city. Buffalo is a hidden gem that deserves a much higher reputation. I love it here!

Old 08-03-2009, 08:11 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,216,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canerican View Post
They are. Don't make the mistake I did. You seem like a nice enough guy, so I would say for your own good, don't come here. Go to Pennsylvania, Ohio, New Hampshire, Maryland - whatever, just don't go to New York - especially Buffalo.
Well, I could just go for college and move away afterwards. But I would rather attend college in a place where I could live after getting a degree. Of course finding a job seems very difficult in Buffalo, but its like that everywhere these days.

What is it that you hate so much about Buffalo? Just curious. Do you like SUNY Buffalo?

Old 08-03-2009, 08:58 PM

1,515 posts, read 3,331,863 times
Quote:

What is it that you hate so much about Buffalo? Just curious. Do you like SUNY Buffalo?
I really like UB, it's a very good school (DM me if you want to specific info).

Honestly there isn't much I really hate about Buffalo, I could like Buffalo if 3 or 4 things changed.

1. Look at the taxes by county in the US, Erie is the 4th highest.
2. It's a dying community, every good leaves here, because it can't be sustained.
3. There are jobs, just no good jobs. Look at average wages, you take a HUGE pay cut to live here.
4. Government intrusiveness, for some reason the government wants to have a hand in everything. From regulating every industry to death, to it's ridiculous gun laws... I can't take it - especially the gun laws. I honestly don't get why law abiding citizens are routinely denied the right to keep and bear arms.

Old 08-04-2009, 07:38 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,544,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canerican View Post

You continually tell blatant lies & generalize the whole WNY area. It seems your whole purpose in life is to push people away from the area because you have racial & political problems with it. Taxes are not as bad here as they are in NJ. New Jersey's state/local tax burden as well as their property tax per capita are the highest in the nation and housing in WNY is a fraction of what it costs in most of NJ. Just because your area (Williamsville/Amherst) has among the highest taxes in WNY doesn't mean the rest of WNY is that bad. You can easily find a 100K house within the city of Buffalo with a tax burden at or just under $2K/year. You can also find suburbs with property taxes around $2500/year for a 100K house.

What "restrictive gun laws" are you talking about??? As long as you are not a convicted felon you can have all the guns you want in NY as long as you obtain the proper licensing. Are you just pissed because you cant strap on your .44 John Wayne style & strut through the UB campus?

Last edited by jblake78728; 08-04-2009 at 08:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area