Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 09:03 PM

13 posts, read 77,220 times

Advertisements

Hello, I have been thinking about moving back to the Buffalo area. We left when I was a kid and I still miss the city. The houses are affordable but the property taxes seem high. Do any of you feel this is a negative? Maybe a reason to not move back. I know the job market is not that good plus you have state income tax. In my mind I feel I belong back in Buffalo. But I don't want to move and fail. Thank you for your time.
P.S.- The two areas that I was lived last that I liked the best was the Amherst area and I was born in Cheektowaga.

Dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 10:00 PM

922 posts, read 3,860,320 times
Here are some real numbers to show the impact of high taxes.

Let's say you come back and get job making $50K and buy a house in Amherst assessed at $175,000. Pretty average numbers for the area.

If you are coming from a state with no income tax and making the same salary, you'll take a 5% cut in pay. State income taxes on a $50K salary are just under $2,500. That's $207 per month.

Now, your house in Amherst will cost you another $5,300 annually in property taxes, so $442 per month is added to your mortgage payment.

So, for privilege of living in WNY - an average guy living in an average house pays $650 per month!

Also, the property tax escrow payments make an affordable house, well, not so affordable. Let's say you take out a $155,000 mortgage on the $175,000 home. The payment is about $900 per month. Add in the taxes and now you've got a $1350.00 bill to pay every month. The taxes alone are about ONE THIRD of the monthly mortgage payment. In a place with low property taxes, for the same payment, you could afford a home valued at least $210,000, and you would be building equity much faster.

Old 08-17-2008, 11:08 PM

2,972 posts, read 8,211,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaDave View Post
Hello, I have been thinking about moving back to the Buffalo area. We left when I was a kid and I still miss the city. The houses are affordable but the property taxes seem high. Do any of you feel this is a negative? Maybe a reason to not move back. I know the job market is not that good plus you have state income tax. In my mind I feel I belong back in Buffalo. But I don't want to move and fail. Thank you for your time.
P.S.- The two areas that I was lived last that I liked the best was the Amherst area and I was born in Cheektowaga.

Dave
When looking at budgets & taxes, you'll have to understand that each area is different in their population, economy, schools, etc. For example the city of Buffalo has a "user fee" (aka: garbage tax) but the surrounding towns have school budgets that are voted on every year with increases.

The first & second ring suburbs have higher property taxes than within the city of Buffalo. The 9% sales tax to us is like the air we breathe, a dime for every dollar, get a penny back. Inhale, exhale.

If you say you feel you "belong in Buffalo", why have you said your best was Amherst & Cheektowaga?

Old 08-17-2008, 11:18 PM

If you say you feel you "belong in Buffalo", why have you said your best was Amherst & Cheektowaga?

LOL... It is the Buffalo area is it not? I live in the desert now and I miss it back east.
Born in Buffalo, Lived in alot of dif. areas of Buffalo...all better then here. OK

Old 08-18-2008, 12:05 AM

2,972 posts, read 8,211,553 times
Quote:
and I was born in Cheektowaga.
Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaDave
Born in Buffalo,
Yeah, it's ok. Technicalities aside, it's always great hearing of people wishing to return/moving to Erie County.

Old 08-18-2008, 03:13 AM

Wow...lol I was BORN in Buffalo but we lived in Cheektowaga at the time.
Sorry about the misunderstanding. lol Anyways, Yes I do miss it back there and I do want my son to grow up in a real city. I live in Vegas and it is not a kid friendly place. It's way too hot here to enjoy outside activities. Thanks for your response.

Dave

Old 08-18-2008, 11:21 PM

4 posts, read 22,727 times
i sympathize with you. i lived in vegas for one year. not good. job wise, real estate or otherwise. i'm from buffalo too. try california. housing prices are 30% below historical averages and taxes are literally 1/2 to 3/4 less than buffalo. yeah its hot - get solar panels and stop paying a bill. you can't escape winter like that. i love buffalo don't get me wrong but no jobs = no future. also here in cali your property tax never rises as long as you own your house even if it skyrockets in value. (prop 13) thats why now is a good time to buy in cali. good luck.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:41 PM

161 posts, read 703,137 times
Quote:

Dave

Hey Dave,

Job market is pretty tight here these days, so I wouldn't move back here until you have one.

As for taxes... yes, they're high, and I'm getting so sick of it. We used to live in GA, and we didn't realize how good we had it. There was a column in Sunday's paper written by a man who moved to GA after living most of his life here. A couple of quotes:

"Our income, although fixed, was raised about $6,000 per year just by the move. I’m paying one-fourth of what I paid in property taxes in Hamburg."

"When I reach 65, I don’t have to pay school taxes. My annual property tax assessment after 65 will be less than $300 per year."

"My gas bills are one-third of what I paid up North because we have six companies competing for our business. "

"Each county is an entire school district, eliminating layers and layers of administrative costs."

Food for thought...

Old 08-20-2008, 05:31 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,903,549 times
Quote:

Dave
it's a tough call..I sympathize -the bufflao you remember may not be what you see now...houses are not cheap anymore.eg..279k for a 2700 sq ft four year old colonial in a good school and subdivision -taxes 8900 in places like amherst clarence..houses are cheap in most of the city of buffalo - but popular areas ie elmwood hertel north bflo, (zoo) delaware park allentown you will pay the going rate- over 100 a sq ft in some cases..and with higher taxes than non NYs comps.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:56 AM

1,293 posts, read 4,996,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coraggio View Post
Hey Dave,

Job market is pretty tight here these days, so I wouldn't move back here until you have one.

As for taxes... yes, they're high, and I'm getting so sick of it. We used to live in GA, and we didn't realize how good we had it. There was a column in Sunday's paper written by a man who moved to GA after living most of his life here. A couple of quotes:

"Our income, although fixed, was raised about $6,000 per year just by the move. I’m paying one-fourth of what I paid in property taxes in Hamburg."

"When I reach 65, I don’t have to pay school taxes. My annual property tax assessment after 65 will be less than $300 per year."

"My gas bills are one-third of what I paid up North because we have six companies competing for our business. "

"Each county is an entire school district, eliminating layers and layers of administrative costs."

Food for thought...
How much was his house, whats the commute time to work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area