Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 05:57 PM

129 posts, read 250,902 times

Advertisements

Buffalos poverty is because of absolute laziness! Yeah! Forget that no one is hiring anyone!

(please note sarcastic eye role)

Old 08-23-2009, 11:15 PM

1 posts, read 2,431 times
Well my dad is on unemployment he is not lazym he is not a low life, he is NOT stupid, and he DOES care. The fact is that he was burdened with a series of unfortunate events. He is too old to work now and ill. Buffalo did a strong/loving man like him not one dime of good.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:26 AM

1,515 posts, read 3,332,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloSuburbs View Post
Well my dad is on unemployment he is not lazym he is not a low life, he is NOT stupid, and he DOES care. The fact is that he was burdened with a series of unfortunate events. He is too old to work now and ill. Buffalo did a strong/loving man like him not one dime of good.
I hate to hear stories like this, they break my heart. It is indeed terrible when a legitimately hard working person loses out, to no fault of their own. I hope that he finds something to keep him going.

Old 08-25-2009, 12:17 AM

131 posts, read 219,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canerican View Post
I hate to hear stories like this, they break my heart. It is indeed terrible when a legitimately hard working person loses out, to no fault of their own. I hope that he finds something to keep him going.
Me too.

Old 08-25-2009, 05:25 AM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,217,522 times
Maybe it is because we give the poor too much here?

If I lacked ambition, I would move to Buffalo, NY.

I would set up shop, and get my free apartment. Then I would start having as many kids as possible. I would take my free food, free money, and free heat, and demand free cell phones. Then I would get more free money to pack a backpack for my children. All the while, I would not work, I would not own property. I would not pay any taxes.

Generations of people in Buffalo and surrounding areas in New York state are just like this. Why? Because we enable them by giving too much.

Take a look at the unemployment/welfare benefits for other states. Most do not give half what we give in New York. Their taxes are lower, their economic outlook is better.

Sure, some people need social services, and I think they are entitled to them. Plenty of folks around Buffalo are just taking advantage of the situation.

I have talked to people who are laid off from decent jobs in Buffalo. They receive unemployment and a severance package from their work. If they started a new job, making about 30k per year, they would lose the unemployment and severance, and they would actually make less by working then they would if they just stayed home.

This is not only one situation, I have heard this over and over.

I have a college degree that I am paying for myself. I recently had to switch to night shift at my job at a local bank to keep up on my payments, and rising insurance costs.

The welfare recipient went to college for absolutely free (I have talked to people at my college who admitted that they won't pay a dime). They also get free medical care that is much better than my paid for insurance.

And you wonder why all the college grads are RUNNING out of this state. I sure am..

Old 08-25-2009, 08:30 AM

15 posts, read 30,366 times
The "Poor" has nothing to do with the misfortune of the Middle Class.
The "Poor" does not dictate how federal and state law offers assistance to the Middle Class.
The "Poor" does not govern state and federal taxes.
The "Poor" cannot fire or unionize you because The "Poor" are too "Poor" to start a business.
The "Poor" earn under $4,000 dollars annually.

JustinH, No Offense, but you're a fine example of why a degree doesn't buy you an education. I hope education reform comes right after health care or unemployment.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:56 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,544,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1person View Post
The "Poor" has nothing to do with the misfortune of the Middle Class.
The "Poor" does not dictate how federal and state law offers assistance to the Middle Class.
The "Poor" does not govern state and federal taxes.
The "Poor" cannot fire or unionize you because The "Poor" are too "Poor" to start a business.
The "Poor" earn under $4,000 dollars annually.

JustinH, No Offense, but you're a fine example of why a degree doesn't buy you an education. I hope education reform comes right after health care or unemployment.

Very good point though I'm sure many on this board wont get it.

I find it curious that my wife was recruited to move here (at nearly a $15K annual raise + moving expenses + $5K bonus) when several schools in this area offer the same major she graduated from just 3 years ago. In fact my wife had 3 offers from companies in this area (and another place has tried to steal her from her current employer just recently).

I obtained employment within a few weeks (even though UB offers pretty much the same program I graduated from at UT) at pretty much the same pay I had in Austin (which is a raise of sorts because the cost of living/housing is much lower here).

I guess I don't understand why colleges grads are "running out of the state" for employment when plenty of out of staters are being recruited to come here .... for better $$$ no less?

Old 08-25-2009, 11:12 AM

1,515 posts, read 3,332,021 times
Are you kidding me? You aren't even right on the amount you must earn to be considered poor.

It's almost $11,000 a year. It seriously took me 30 seconds to find this. You ought to at least make sure that the numbers you produce are close to accurate.

2009 Federal Poverty Guidelines

Old 08-25-2009, 11:16 AM

8 posts, read 9,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Funky View Post
Buffalos poverty is because of absolute laziness! Yeah! Forget that no one is hiring anyone!

(please note sarcastic eye role)

Exactly, or that certain sectors of the population practice extreme nepotism in the local companies.

Those lazy WELFARE PEOPLE (secret meaning-wink) are the problem.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:28 AM

131 posts, read 219,470 times
posted in the wrong thread

sorry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area