Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 03:03 PM

1,515 posts, read 3,332,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by donbuy View Post
Buffalo only is #3 in poverty when you only consider cities with more than 250,000 residents, that limits the pool to about 60 cities nationwide. If you consider all cities Buffalo does not even rank in the poorest 100.
Without a doubt, there are counties in ND and SD with less than 3000 residents (mostly Indians) where the median income is well under $10000 per year. But that is comparing apples to oranges. The Indians in those places live pretty much the way they have for the last 100 years, and most don't have regular jobs... In the city that makes you homeless, out there it means you live like the rest of them. Look at the map I am linking to and you will see that 90% of the counties are very low population Indian counties.

Lowest-income counties in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The fact is that for the data to be relevant you compare areas to similar areas. We could compare Buffalo to Dar Es Salaam and say, "Wow we are so rich!" but the data isn't relevant. Comparing Buffalo to similarly sized cities makes the data important, so you are factually right, but if you were speaking with a geographer, they would likely chuckle a bit.

Old 10-11-2009, 03:12 PM

93,289 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canerican View Post
Without a doubt, there are counties in ND and SD with less than 3000 residents (mostly Indians) where the median income is well under $10000 per year. But that is comparing apples to oranges. The Indians in those places live pretty much the way they have for the last 100 years, and most don't have regular jobs... In the city that makes you homeless, out there it means you live like the rest of them. Look at the map I am linking to and you will see that 90% of the counties are very low population Indian counties.

Lowest-income counties in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The fact is that for the data to be relevant you compare areas to similar areas. We could compare Buffalo to Dar Es Salaam and say, "Wow we are so rich!" but the data isn't relevant. Comparing Buffalo to similarly sized cities makes the data important, so you are factually right, but if you were speaking with a geographer, they would likely chuckle a bit.
I don't think he/she meant that either. I think donbuy was talking about cities.

Also, a lot of the lowest-income counties have high minority populations or are predominately White counties in secluded parts of states, especially in the case of Kentucky and West Virginia. There are some exceptions too.

Old 10-11-2009, 06:18 PM

1,515 posts, read 3,332,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post

Also, a lot of the lowest-income counties have high minority populations or are predominately White counties in secluded parts of states, especially in the case of Kentucky and West Virginia. There are some exceptions too.
Well I think that's a Post Hoc fallacy, because the more rural counties are generally Whiter, and they are poorer. It has less to do with race, and more to do with seclusion, especially given that both urban and rural Blacks are poorer than Whites.

I'm not even sure that you are saying that isn't the case, but I think that there is a very strong correlation between distance from a city and poverty, as well as race and poverty. It would be interesting to see what a regression of that would look like.

Old 10-11-2009, 06:45 PM

93,289 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canerican View Post
Well I think that's a Post Hoc fallacy, because the more rural counties are generally Whiter, and they are poorer. It has less to do with race, and more to do with seclusion, especially given that both urban and rural Blacks are poorer than Whites.

I'm not even sure that you are saying that isn't the case, but I think that there is a very strong correlation between distance from a city and poverty, as well as race and poverty. It would be interesting to see what a regression of that would look like.
That's what I'm getting at. Most places in poverty are secluded to some degree and in turn there is an environment of "lack".

Old 10-20-2009, 05:36 PM

7 posts, read 40,398 times
We can thank the wonderful politicians in Albany for a lot of the problems. Here in Niagara Falls though, we have to thank our wonderful mayors for destroying what was a beautiful place to live. That was about 40 years ago.

Can you believe all the electricity made by Niagara Falls is sold to NYC at a very low rate while WNY gets screwed with one of the highest power rates in the nation?

Old 10-20-2009, 05:53 PM

922 posts, read 3,861,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psheldonfamily View Post

Can you believe all the electricity made by Niagara Falls is sold to NYC at a very low rate while WNY gets screwed with one of the highest power rates in the nation?
While this is a common misconception, it's not actually true. All power generation facilities in NYS sell their power to a pool where it is then sold on the wholesale market and bought by electric utility companies and others.

Also FWIW, residential power rates here in NYC are much higher than WNY.

Old 10-20-2009, 06:03 PM

70 posts, read 178,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalonian4life View Post
anyway, off topic.
Buffalonian4Life...I really like you..you know why? Cause you love your city..unlike other people they love to bash on their own cities and make it look bad....I'm from Syracuse but all my family is from Buffalo and I
m going to college in Buffalo and I always still up for Syracuse and Buffalo no matter what...if you go down south, they always stick up for their cities and never have anything bad to say.

Old 10-25-2009, 06:50 PM

744 posts, read 1,768,225 times
Great pic of the Court house - thanks for posting it.

Old 08-18-2011, 02:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,690 times
This city is absolutely sickning . Has got to be one of the most disgusting cities ever ! Downtown is beautiful really it is wonderful but some of the people are scrubs , the neighbor hoods near by (the eastside inperticular) is violent , poor , and filthy ! The city of buffalo used to be a beautiful place , a cool place to hangout , but so many mothers and kids have died from drive bys , been raped , or killed just because ! I'm scared for my life in certain places . I think if our poverty level wasn't so high the crime rate might also be less because people would not have to kill over money or girls they would already have it :/ sad sad Place but unfortunately it's the place I call home and I enjoy some parts of it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area