U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-05-2008, 09:07 PM

161 posts, read 447,862 times
Default Free Movies at Shea's - another + for Buffalo!

I'm on the Shea's e-mail mailing list, and the other day I got a message that they were showing a Harry Potter movie for free. My kids are VERY into the HP books right now, so even though we've watched the DVD before, my DH and I got 4 free tickets from Wegman's and we all went down for the show today.

What a cool experience! The kids wanted to sit in the balcony, which it seemed a majority of the attendees did. :-) We got seats in the front row, just off center, and we had a great view of the screen. It was so cool seeing the movie on the big screen, and the kids were awed that 80+ years ago, Shea's was built to be a movie theatre!

Again, this show was free; Shea's must make their money off the concessions, but even there, if you bought a ticket ahead of time, you could use it for a discount at the concession stand. So we got the kids some popcorn and cookies and a drink at a very reasonable price. Probably for what your drink alone would cost at a regular movie theatre.

Before the show and during the intermission, the kids had a blast exploring the building, figuring out all the ramps and stairs and going all the way up to the top of the balcony. The ushers let us go down and peek into one of the private boxes. DH and I enjoyed seeing how much work/clean-up they've been able to do in recent years.

They'll be running one family-friendly movie a month over the next 6 months or so. They gave us a copy of the schedule, which I can't lay my hands on right now, but they were mostly PG movies. What a great way to spend a couple of hours and enjoy our beautiful theatre -- for free!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 04:27 PM

268 posts, read 707,256 times
Princess Bride - Nov. 2
TBA -Dec. 14
Silent Film Festival - Jan. 25
Goonies - Mar. 15
Back to the Future - Apr. 5

Old 10-06-2008, 10:58 PM

3,858 posts, read 5,343,664 times
There was an article in the Buffalo News today on the multitude of ways to do entertainment on the cheap. ( Oct. 6/2008)

Old 10-16-2008, 10:56 AM

4 posts, read 9,347 times
How cool! Do you know if Shea's will have tickets available the day of the movie? My husband and I are planning a spring visit to Buffalo (we're thinking of moving to upstate NY from Delaware), and since "Back to the Future" is his favorite movie ever, I'd love to surprise him with the April 5 screening. I just worry that we wouldn't be able to get tickets ahead of time since we're visiting from out of state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area