Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 08:53 PM

1,051 posts, read 3,355,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanlynn View Post
I'm going to update this great thread. I grew up in Attica, then moved to West Henrietta, then Gulf Shores, Al...which is basically the FL panhandle. I've been down here for 2 long years....OMG do I miss western NY! Mind you, I love heat, I love summer and I love the ocean. I always dreamed of moving near the ocean. I miss the change of seasons. Yep....never imagined I would be saying this but oh how I miss it! Everyday from March-Oct it's sunny & nice and that gets old very fast. No variety, no change of vibe. Our 3-4 months of winter are more depressing than NY winters because it's chilly and windy. I long for snow....if it's going to be cold at least I wish for a scenery change. I miss the food. No Tim Hortons or Dunkin Donuts. I have no drive through coffee place. I miss my family. I miss everything that I've ever known. If I ever leave here all I will miss is the ocean and I think I'll be okay with that as long as I vacation to it once in awhile. In fact, I think it keeps it more special that way. It wasn't meant to be a daily thing. But sometimes you have to leave in order to appreciate what you have. I know I did.There's nothing wrong with it here it's a beautiful place and the people are great. My first year here I felt like I was in heaven, but after awhile you want the "vacation" to end and long for home. I feel like I am trapped in paradise lol.

Good post. Did you graduate from Attica High School and if so what year?

I'm doing Everything in my power to move back to WNY... a lot more genuine people than Florida that is for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 10:36 PM

811 posts, read 1,728,434 times
I went to UB and relocated down in southern CT near NYC for the finance jobs. Buffalo had good food, especially with the smaller family chains are restaurants. A bit of an edgy underground feel to it. Niagara Falls would be hard to duplicate along with the attractions around it.

Besides that I don't think you'd miss much. Every place has it's own unique culture, especially if you move to a larger metro area like NYC for instance. You'll have art, food, music, and everything to keep you entertained. Instead of the lake you have the ocean.

My brother moved to Denver 18 years ago and has never looked back. He's very much into outdoors and snowboarding so it's a natural fit. I've been out there and it's great. Much drier out there in general like someone else mentioned.

My advice is to focus on what you want, not what you'll miss. There's only one Buffalo just like there's only one Denver and NYC. Which area has the most of what you're looking for? That is what will lead you to the right choice for you.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:05 AM

170 posts, read 250,057 times
I started moving out of Buffalo 10yrs ago (I was 33) and have moved back 3 times and then out once more. We have been to the Southwest and now on the West Coast. Buffalo has the best food...in...the..world. I do find though I eat much healthier, and less, now...(likely from lack of good mom-n-pop choices but still, the jeans fit better). I miss the season very much..but I'd be lying if I didn't say that the year round outside activites, endless sunshine, one wardrobe, and no need for scrapers or shovels hasn't grown on me. People in Buffalo are among the friendliest I have ever encounted. We are just a fun, hearty, work hard-play hard bunch! I do find I enjoy the bit more forward thinking and earth friendly friends I have made here too. I consider Buffalo my home and I try to get there quarterly if possible. I have found however that as I have lost family there through death, moves, etc that its really those ties that bring me back home...after all...thats what home is. I don't know how much longer I'll make those trips if my remaining family relocates.

At 24 Goo, go out and see this beautiful country of ours. Its amazing!! The people, the places, Experience, compare, enjoy. The very special thing about Buffalo, is you can always go home

Old 07-26-2012, 03:55 PM

59 posts, read 118,709 times
NOTHING AT ALL. Had to relocate from Denver to CNY. Wish I would have been shot on my way here. The people are great!!!! The Weather SUCKS..............................

Old 07-28-2012, 09:32 AM

91,948 posts, read 122,044,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitriz View Post
NOTHING AT ALL. Had to relocate from Denver to CNY. Wish I would have been shot on my way here. The people are great!!!! The Weather SUCKS..............................
Not to nitpick, but Buffalo is in WNY. That said, the people are still great.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:51 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,341,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMan87 View Post
Moved out of Buffalo a year ago to Denver but will be moving back for a ton of different reasons.

What I miss the most are:
1. Family/friends
2. The food, Denver sucks for good food
3. The Sports teams... Denver is convenient for going to games but the sports I grew around (football/hockey) is no comparison out here.. The Avs fans are a joke and Broncos fans dont come out til they start winning.
4. The Greenery, tired of brownness here
5. Lakes
6. Location to other cities (I cant drive to any other major city here in Denver)
7. Rain
8. Call me crazy but the winters... I dont care much for all the shoveling and what not but I prefer that powder snow over the hard ice snow we get out here in the mountains
9. And finally, honestly, Im more scared of losing all my stuff to one of the crazy wildfires out here than all the snow we get in WNY

Im sure the economy is still garbage back in WNY and I have been able to get jobs easily out here in Denver but I miss Buffalo too much to stay out here
I agree with some of your statements but not others as I have lived here for 34 years. I left Cheektowaga over 44 years ago.

You have not been in Denver long enough to adapt and missing family and friends takes more time.

The food here in Denver is much better in some and not as good in other offerings, depending on what is your desires. I speak from experience in this industry and I did graduate from the CIA in Hyde Park, NY many years ago. Upscale Dining is far superior and more extensive because of more wealth in Denver. I have found over time that Denver has developed a better choice of food than when I first arrived which was a big meat and potatoes town. It is certainly superior in Hispanic foods than Buffalo. I think the simple Polish, Italian and German Ethnic foods in Buffalo are better. Denver is now attracting many new immigrants from Europe and Asia which is expanding the food culture.

Also, much of the food we eat is available over the country with extensive transportation than when I was younger. Food preparation can be different for better or worse but tends to not so regionally isolated as much in the past because of the media. Yet many food preparations depend on climate, product availability and as such products that do not ship readily as in Seafood. Denver is not a seafood town and what comes here is expensive. Beef in Denver is not as superior as some Westerners will want you to believe; we may have more Buffalo herds but that is not an everyday common food. Buffalo is far superior is the availability of local produced fruits and vegetables as Colorado does not have the fertile soil of Western New York and with the many small truck farms that abound in WNY. This abundance of summer produce is what I miss.

It is not all brown and there are many areas with lush growth but you have not been here long enough to know but it is certainly is not as green as Buffalo because it has less precipitation. Denver is a semi-arid climate which has its benefits making cold feel less cold and heat feel less hot with low humidity. Yes, it has very few natural water bodies but that is the price you pay for the advantages of this climate. Over time, you may have come to see the advantages. When I came here, I missed overcast days and the smell of rain but now I enjoy the sunny dry climate. This summer has been uncharacteristically hot and dry, as most of the country. You are judging Denver based on not typical weather as in the summer we tend to get more afternoon rains.

I have no idea what you are talking about with hard ice snow--that is not the norm. Snow varies from powder to wet snow depending on the month. Denver much less snow and melts faster because of the drier air and warmer days in winter. Ice Storms are more prevalent in Buffalo but Denver has more hail storms. Most of the front range is not prone to Tornadoes as they do not readily form along the foothills but are more characteristic as you move farther out into the plains.

The crazy wildfires as you say, are mostly in the foothills or in the mountains, you are exaggerating the risk. Most people, by far, live in the Great Plains. Denver is on the Great Plains not in the Mountains or Foothills of the Rockies.

Sports are an individual choice for appreciation. Some sports fans are just as rabid as in Buffalo. However, Denver is much larger and has many other amenities and is not just stuck in the insane adoration of a few sports teams.

Denver is the major city of a multi-state region of the large expanse of the sparsely populated Great West and The Great Plains with other major cities many miles away. You are correct, you cannot just drive easily to another city. Many people come to a feeling that we, on the Front Range of the Rockies, live on a separate island but enough for our satisfaction. Yet, we are still somewhat in the Center of the US and have one of the largest modern airports in the country.

I think that it is best that you have left and I do feel that where we live should not only be based on a job. It takes much more than a year to adapt to an area. For me, I left Buffalo to go into the Army and after college the job opportunities where terrible in Buffalo; I left to go to Texas and eventually settled in Denver. However, your roots and feelings for home has attracted you back to Buffalo. I am in my sixties and perhaps if I moved to another area, I would not be able to adapt because that takes time to establish a sense of place and comfort of familiarity; I do not have that time in my life. Denver is now my home. Good Luck to You!

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 08-04-2012 at 10:34 PM..

Old 08-08-2012, 02:45 PM

39,789 posts, read 26,271,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloGoo View Post
Hello everyone, I am 24 years old and I have lived in Buffalo my whole life. I enjoy the summers in Buffalo very much but the winters are extremely hard for me to get through (I suffer from SAD and fibromyalgia which gets worse in during the winter). I have been debating wether I should move to a warmer, sunnier climate but then I think would I miss Buffalo if I left? What would you guys miss if you left Buffalo or have you left the area and if so what do you miss?
I left WNY in '94. I miss a good order of chicken wings, locally made pizza and beef on 'weck. Other than some friends, that's it. And the taxes. Oh, wait, I don't miss them.

Regardless of the area you're in (not knocking Buffalo), a move at some point of your life is a good thing; it forces you to grow a lot.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:58 AM

20 posts, read 56,204 times
Coming from a native (and SO PROUD of it) Buffalonian who moved to North Carolina and then to Arizona I'm going to make a comment, and maybe not make too many friends because of it, but southern hospitality is a myth. They are no nicer in the south than they are up north. The only difference is, up north they are nasty to your face, down south they just do it in a more round about way that leaves you wondering, "Hmm... was that a snide comment?" or "Was he implying that..."

You will miss the food, and eventually, the seasons. You will miss the soft grass and the dirty smell of the lake, but the lake none the less. You will miss the accent, you will miss the basements, you will miss the Bills even if you're maybe not the biggest fan.

Buffalo is a great city that has fallen on some really rough time but I will tell you that you will find yourself say and thinking "Well, in Buffalo..." a lot when you leave.

If you leave, find someone to send you Webers Mustard and Chavetta's because they don't exist past East Aurora.

Old 09-17-2012, 03:16 PM

115 posts, read 189,625 times
Every thing will turn out ok . Do not get down reading negative post about moving and then returning. Everybody is different and moving effects all of us in different ways. To continue your journey in life there may be something awaiting you were you move. You may love it there or hate it and return. The experience that you might gain by moving may be life changing and life lasting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area