U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2008, 12:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,101 times

Advertisements

I'm a real estate investor looking to network with other investors in the area. I'm wondering if anyone is an investor themselves and knows the best places to go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 10:53 AM

2,601 posts, read 7,270,512 times
Most of them have gone belly up ! There are a couple of buildings I might be interested in - partly because of their architecture, however whatever is for sale today will be cheaper tomorrow- so I'll watch and wait.

Old 10-24-2008, 05:02 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,400,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
Most of them have gone belly up ! There are a couple of buildings I might be interested in - partly because of their architecture, however whatever is for sale today will be cheaper tomorrow- so I'll watch and wait.
Not here, thankfully our market never saw that huge housing bubble.
Investors still buy in this area, lot of people rent and it's rare to see a good apartment at a reasonable cost go unrented.

Old 10-24-2008, 12:35 PM

HMM Mr August what do you think of all the churches and rectorys for sale? I love the pictures but they probably aren't practical. Population continues to move away and the ONLY chance would be some sort of conversion.

Specifically do you know about the 4 buildings on 11th and south in Niagara Falls and the church & rect for sale on Lewis st as well as 1000 block of lovejoy both in Buffalo 06 zip?

Old 10-25-2008, 09:35 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,400,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
HMM Mr August what do you think of all the churches and rectorys for sale? I love the pictures but they probably aren't practical. Population continues to move away and the ONLY chance would be some sort of conversion.

Specifically do you know about the 4 buildings on 11th and south in Niagara Falls and the church & rect for sale on Lewis st as well as 1000 block of lovejoy both in Buffalo 06 zip?
Churches and rectories, while the architecture is magnificent - hold no real value. IMHO the church population is decling, if Buffalo doesnt do something soon with its valuable waterfront, the city wont see increased population.

I have not looked at the properties you are mentioning, but if you were to purchase them, what would you do with them? specifically the church and rectory? I can look into them though and give you some feedback..

Old 10-27-2008, 10:13 PM

Mr August - why do you have to destroy a fanciful fantasy with a reasonable and practical question?

With the church -rectory - the rectories might make a nice summer home. I was hoping for a windfall where I would have a 1031 and need to find properties. The 11th st properties in NF have a really nice rock convent ( at least from the pictures) however if you see the thread 11th st NF, the area sounds horrible.

As for the two church properties in 14206 Buffalo ( near Hennepin Park), I will assume that there is no market value for the church and thought that while these properties sit on the market, I might get them for the value of the rectory. The Diocese will be dumping more churches on the market, in the near future, further pressuring the market. I read the story last week in the Buffalo News of the church that looked great but only a group in Georgia was interested.

I live in Texas and although I love my coastal town, we have nothing architecturally like Buffalo. We also have hot summers.

My favorite street in Buffalo is actually Niagara St, I know most locals are negative on it. It, like many other Buffalo sts is a throwback to another time and I love the river view. A few years ago I came close to making an offer on 960 Busti, but the $23000 a year in taxes scared me off. Caminelli didn't seem to want to lower the price- result - the bldg got pillaged of all its copper- they had to sell it for way less.

If the taxation dept was smart ( and they aren't) they would find some way to protect nice buildings from destruction ( churches come to mind) and have a special low tax for them.

What makes Buffalo special is NOT the weather - not the economy - not the location but the great old buildings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area