U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-27-2008, 05:12 PM

15 posts, read 34,520 times

Advertisements

Well folks I got a question for yall.

I was told by a tech at Northtown Jeep that studded snow tires (like they put on for me without a comment ) are illegal in ERIE county.

I was very confused since I know that studs are legal in NYS from Oct 15 to April 30. My dad has run them at home (Ithaca) for nearly 8 years now. We live in a very hilly area, bad plowing, lots of freezing precip, etc. And we used to live in Buffalo when I was younger and my dad knew a couple of guys running studs on their trucks' snow tires then.

Now I'm not concerned or anything, my car isn't registered here, my license shows my address as Ithaca, but I can't find anything online regarding county specific laws for studs. All I see is stud dates from the NYS DMV website.

Is this guy making stuff up? I can't really imagine this being true, he also mentioned that studs have been illegal since before I was born. I probably look like I'm in my early 20s so...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 08:44 AM
JH6

724 posts, read 1,480,580 times
When I was younger, about 5-10 years ago, I would run studded snow tires on my thunderbird.

They are allowed up until a certain date.

Honestly, if you are driving in regular suburban/city areas, you don't need studded snows. Regular snow tires have worked great for me in lockport, the northtowns, and the southtowns.

Old 11-20-2008, 04:13 PM

8 posts, read 16,771 times
Studded snow tires are illegal in Ontario. As for in NYS they are legal, but I would check with DMV or DOT as to when you can or can't use them.

If you really need the traction of snow tires I suggest Bridgstone Blizzaks snow and ice tire instead. They are kinda pricy, but you get what you pay for. The traction and braking control is just awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area