U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 06:49 AM

2 posts, read 41,686 times
Default Moving to Buffalo New York

My husband has received an promotion and we will have to move to Buffalo. We are from New York City and have no idea where to go in Buffalo. I have been looking online at the homes for sale there. Where is a good safe place to live? We will be going up there in a couple of weeks, clueless where to start looking. We have a child on his way to college and an infant. Are there nice safe areas to live in Buffalo or is living outside of the city best.
Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2007, 09:05 AM

253 posts, read 869,381 times
Theres nice city neighborhoods to choose from. I live in the southtowns (suburbs) now, eventually Ill probably be moving to the Elmwood Village area (in the city) if I can.

In the city, South Buffalo is ok. Some people like Kenmore/North Buffalo. Off the elmwood strip. Also keep in mind, its an older city, and the economy isn't great here, and we have harsh weather - so you can get some neighborhoods that are totally fine, but they look worn out (places in south Buffalo are a good example of this)

As far as suburbs, Id say ALL the suburbs are safe. Any and all crime is going to basically be petty. Hamburg, Orchard Park, West Seneca, Cheektowaga, Depew, Lancaster, Amherst, Williamsville, Tonawanda/North Tonawanda. They all just have different feels to them, thats it. Amherst is the biggest, a little pricier. thats the one everyone thinks is the safest. It probably has the most variety and number of chain stores, UB North campus is there. I think its overhyped, myself. Hamburg (where I am) is considered quieter. The 'southtowns' in general are considered this way. The southern suburbs also tend to land in the snow bands more often. Hamburgs been growing the past 5 years but there's not much going on here. Orchard Park people see as the 'rich area'. But its mostly old money and nothing that impressive (or a few streets here and there with HUGE houses on them). Rich people either move to Amherst or OP. West Seneca is a busier suburb, I like it. Cheektowaga is kind of similiar but moreso with the mall, airport and more major roadways going through it. Cheektowaga is probably the 'least safest', but really thats only relative to the other towns. To me, calling it unsafe would be uncalled for. Depew I dont know much about, its next to Lancaster. Lancaster is seen to have a 'charm' to it.. or some of historical thing going on. Antique shops and all that. The Tonawandas I havent been to that much so I cant say anything about them. I would just take a day or two and drive around and see what you like and what you don't. As for schools, unless you are really going to nitpick, they are all basically the same. I dont know your exact situation, but if youre coming from NYC to Buffalo.. You can probably live anywhere in the area that you want to and I imagine commutes and rent/home price are going to be non-issues.

Also in my experience, driving in Buffalo is no big deal. You can drive through the worst of the worst neighborhoods with no problem, especially driving the major roads (walking would probably be a different story). So exploring the city is nothing to worry about by car. The area everyone is afraid of the 'east side'. It is big, geographically, but not the death zone its made out to be.

Old 02-22-2007, 09:27 AM

131 posts, read 517,470 times
Much has been said in this forum about the Buffalo area, and surrounds. Try doing a search. From what I've read, for those looking for a family area with schools & security the recommendation seems to be to live in the burbs -Amherst, Clarence, Orchard Park, etc. For those willing to risk the shenanigans of life in the city (there's been varying levels of debate concerning safety in the City), try the historic areas around Allentown, Elmwood & Delaware (there's an area with lovely homes where Frank Lloyd Wright's 'Darwin-Martin" is on Jewett St., but I don't know the name of the area). Like any large city there are areas to stay away from. Depending on your preference, you can find a large historic character home in the city for a very reasonable price, or something more modern in the burbs for considerably more - but overall the real estate prices are very reasonable. Good luck.

Old 02-22-2007, 08:55 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,905 posts, read 4,355,588 times
Default Check out other Buffalo thread

Check out the other Buffalo thread: Tell me about Buffalo, New York.

Aka_mouse and I both posted there in more detail.

I know A LOT of New Yorkers who came to SUNY/Buffalo and stayed! (Until the economy bottomed out and then many scattered all over the country.)
But the New Yorkers I knew in Buffalo loved it. It's sort of like a clean Brooklyn but without all the apartment buildings, just the houses.

Check out the other thread because that may give you more info.

Good luck to you -- Buffalo has a lot to offer -- especially if you already have a good job waiting for you!!

Old 02-22-2007, 09:56 PM

259 posts, read 628,114 times
Derrick

Yes Darling East Aurora is the place. Birthplace of President Fillmore. Very picturesque town. Also perhaps Orchard Park or Hamburg. These are all in the southtowns.

If you are Black the Eggertsville-Amherst area? Also Cheektowaga?

If you are Asian then Clarence perhaps Amherst?

Nevertheless do not under any circumstances settle in the city. Do not listen to all those Bohemian college pot head kids crap on line. And that silly talk about the city being a clean version of new york without all the apartments. And the cities artsy historical homes. Those type of people are are very silly.

The city is economically very Bad. The people who work have political connections. And Street thugs harass people who go to work for money.

It will be better if you rented for the first year. It is impossible to get priced out of the Buffalo housing Market. Do not let any real estate agent pull a scare tactic on you because your an out-of-towner. They might try to tell that values wil go up next year.

Let me tell you. In the buffalo area house values will not go up. And it is possible to spend 150,000 to purchase a house. Only to have its' value depreciate to nothing the next year.

Good Luck

Old 02-23-2007, 02:39 AM

94 posts, read 287,430 times
I would suggest not living in the city if you have a family. I live about an hour away from Buffalo, and have found everytime I visit, it doesn't have that comfortable of a feel. I would say commute from the surrounding areas. You could always look at a map, then pick a city....Orchard Park, Amhearst, etc. then do the research on that town. Most of these "suburbs" have their own websites. As far as diversity, I don't know what the previous posters where saying about "if you're black or asian live here". Buffalo is richly diverse. From a real estate point of view (I don't know what your budget is) Buffalo's housing costs are VERY low. $200k will make you VERY comfortable. UB (University at Buffalo) is probably the best public college in NY, plus there are all the convieniences that come with a large city....malls, walmart, etc...

Personally I would look into Fredonia, NY. It is a small town about 45min south of Buffalo, off of I-90. A bit of a commute, but well worth it. There is a small SUNY college there, and it is a very artsy town. Low crime, and for $150k you can get almost any house there. Good luck in your search, and let me know if I can help any more.

Old 02-23-2007, 10:13 AM

2 posts, read 41,686 times
Thank you! We are an upper middle class african american family. My husband will be working about 30 minutes from Olean, NY. He is will to commute no more than about 70 miles so I can be comfortable and not be stuck in a town with no where to go.
I hope you will be okay with me contacting you with more questions! Thanks a lot.

Old 02-23-2007, 10:44 AM

306 posts, read 1,138,756 times
Derricknty, if you could specify a bit more where your husband's job is, it would be easier to suggest places to live, give feedback, etc.

Offhand, some nice communities near Olean would be Angelica, Cuba, Springville, Fredonia, Eden, Silver Creek, Hamburg, and East Aurora. These differ quite a bit, so knowing which ones are nearer your husband's job and your tastes/interests would help narrow things down regarding this list, and also open up feedback from others.

One thing to bear in mind, though, is that you do have a lot of choices here. From pretty run-down old towns that you wouldn't want to settle in to very lovely and cheerful old towns to "modern" suburbs to Buffalo itself, from very country to kind-of country to suburban-anywhere to medium-sized city....

Old 02-23-2007, 08:25 PM

253 posts, read 869,381 times
Uhm... Olean is no where near Buffalo or even its suburbs at all (or even its surrounding rural towns..). I mean technically, Buffalo is the nearest city but ....

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...=UTF8&z=9&om=1

This is an insane commute no matter what.
It might be short time-wise compared to major gridlocked metro areas.. but you arn't gonna wanna be doing this in the winter months without a serious 4 wheel drive vehicle with snowtires and studs (and I mean like for real, 50/50, put it in neutral, get out and turn the hubs, 4 wheel drive ... in other words not a 'subaru 80/20 "fake" 4 wheel/AWD')

Is he working near Olean or what? I dont know much about the southern tier, but ... well, Ill refrain from saying the type of stuff I said about it in the last thread ....

Last edited by aka_mouse; 02-23-2007 at 08:28 PM.. Reason: html

Old 02-24-2007, 08:32 PM

259 posts, read 628,114 times
You guys could try Jamestown. Or the villages around it?

In Jamestown there is an a small (Bohemian Alternative) click of people. Theaters plays festivals etc. Its even smaller than Buffalo. But there nothings else up ther!!! And Pennsylvania? Forget it kid! You choose some remote part of both states. Do you still want to go through with this?

Last edited by Dee62; 02-24-2007 at 08:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area