Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 09:40 AM

2,601 posts, read 8,519,025 times

Advertisements

I just wonder -especially for those who have been to BOTH Buffalo and Detroit - how you would compare them.

Both are among the cities with the nicest architecture- which do you prefer?

Both have lost much of their respective populations.

Both have huge amounts of abandoned buildings. My guess in part because Detroit is bigger they seem to have more large abandoned buildings.

Both are high in crime -statistically Detroit is higher. Anyone who has walked around both cities?

Both are hoping for a comeback-- what are the chances for each?

Both have high real estate taxes - think Buffalo is worst though.

Just looking or ideas...and objectivity ( dont care about Cleveland - Pittsburgh or other cities -just these two for now)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 03:04 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,346,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
I just wonder -especially for those who have been to BOTH Buffalo and Detroit - how you would compare them.

Both these cities do have incredible architecture. I simply love Detroit's powerful skyline, and their very impressive buildings that do rival Buffalo's historic architecture. Though many say that Buffalo is wayyy past Detroit, I really do like that city even through their MANY problems. They have more to do their IMHO, and have a great lively downtown that Buffalo currently does not attain. I absolutely LOVE Buffalo though, and will never leave, yet I thought I would mention that my simpathy goes to the people of the great metropolis of Detroit.

(I must also add that both of these cities have horrible waterfronts, untill Buffalo's is revitalized, then will have the edge. But right now they are both depressed and underutilized.

Old 11-18-2008, 03:32 PM

93,188 posts, read 123,783,345 times
I think Buffalo has a better school district in terms of options of education. I know Detroit has schools like Cass Tech, in which Buffalo has an equivalent in Hutch Tech. I just think that Buffalo has more educational options within it's city school district.

Also, I think or it seems that Buffalo is more filled out than Detroit in terms of population density.

Both have lost about half, if not more than half in Detroit's case, of their peak population too.

Both have a big influence on Southwestern Ontario too and there are people with ties to that part of Canada and those two areas as well.

Detroit has a much bigger Black population in terms of percentage at about 82%, while Buffalo is about 40%. So, Buffalo is a more "diverse" city than Detroit in terms of make up and the percentage of each group that make up the population of those cities. Both have strong Polish American and Arab communities too. Both are known for supposedly being segregated as well, with Detroit being way more so, in my opinion.

Even the industries that helped boost both cities were similar with the auto and steel industries in both. Buffalo dealt also with flour milling and Detroit in salt mining.

Both have tremendous potential, but it is not used in part due to corruption in the government.

Both are a gentrificationist's dream and might be the way for each to make a comeback.

Old 11-20-2008, 05:05 AM

2,601 posts, read 8,519,025 times
I've noticed Detroit has more larger homes for sale and Detroit is likely to have Tudors and brick, whereas Buffalo uses more wood and the houses aren't as big-- at least what's currently offered.

Old 11-29-2008, 09:26 AM

29 posts, read 106,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post

Both have lost much of their respective populations.

Both have huge amounts of abandoned buildings. My guess in part because Detroit is bigger they seem to have more large abandoned buildings.

Both are high in crime -statistically Detroit is higher. Anyone who has walked around both cities?

Both are hoping for a comeback-- what are the chances for each?

Both have high real estate taxes - think Buffalo is worst though.

Just looking or ideas...and objectivity ( dont care about Cleveland - Pittsburgh or other cities -just these two for now)

As a Canadian from Southern Ontario (Hamilton/Niagara born and raised) who travels to Buffalo frequently, I have a pretty unique perspective on this since my "technical" hometown of Hamilton is very much like Buffalo and Detroit. But let me put it to you this way -- I have never been scared to be in most parts of Buffalo. The times I've been in Detroit, I'm pretty cautious. I find that the western parts of the Detroit area (Romulus, etc.) aren't that bad, though. Once you get into the western parts of Michigan, things improve, but in general WNY is a nicer place to go to than Michigan is I find.

Mentioning statistics, Buffalo's northern suburbs are among (if not THE) safest communities in the entire United States; the Southtowns aren't too bad either. The people in Detroit and area aren't the friendliest bunch from my experience; once you get outside of extreme south-east Michigan things get a little better, but it's definitely noticeable how much friendlier people are in WNY.

Buffalo's taxes are pretty high, like you said. I think they're among the highest in the U.S. From what I've been hearing, this has resulted in some excellent schools in the northern suburbs.

Buffalo is a great city for architecture. Detroit has its charms too, that's for sure, but I don't think they can beat Buffalo City Hall.

Sure there are crappier parts of Buffalo (East Buffalo I find is pretty shifty), and just outside of Buffalo Niagara Falls, NY is disgusting (Niagara Falls, Ontario is pretty run down too once you get past the flashy tourist traps), but all in all I would recommend Buffalo over Detroit to anyone.

I think that once the automakers fail (which they most likely will, bailout or no bailout), Detroit will be far worse off than Buffalo. One of the most significant Internet backbones goes straight through the city (the same backbone that results in all the call centers to be located in St. Catharines/Welland across the river). I find that Buffalo is really only starting to tap into this resource; give it a few years, and Buffalo will be on the rebound. WNY and Niagara Region in Ontario, Canada aren't the greatest for finding work, but the sense of community in both regions cannot be matched. You will feel at home in WNY, just like I do when I'm there.

Sure, I'm technically from the area (across the river in Canada of course), but those are my two converted cents (5 cents Canadian )!

Old 11-29-2008, 05:44 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,855,478 times
Detroit is failing in the housing market - and Buffalo is not - thankfully. I fear that if the auto industry does go under those in Detroit will be in serious trouble in regard to a lot of things. Buffalo vs Detroit? right now I chose Buffalo and not because I currently live there.

Old 12-01-2008, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndawg8686 View Post
As a Canadian from Southern Ontario (Hamilton/Niagara born and raised) who travels to Buffalo frequently, I have a pretty unique perspective on this since my "technical" hometown of Hamilton is very much like Buffalo and Detroit. But let me put it to you this way -- I have never been scared to be in most parts of Buffalo. The times I've been in Detroit, I'm pretty cautious. I find that the western parts of the Detroit area (Romulus, etc.) aren't that bad, though. Once you get into the western parts of Michigan, things improve, but in general WNY is a nicer place to go to than Michigan is I find.

Mentioning statistics, Buffalo's northern suburbs are among (if not THE) safest communities in the entire United States; the Southtowns aren't too bad either. The people in Detroit and area aren't the friendliest bunch from my experience; once you get outside of extreme south-east Michigan things get a little better, but it's definitely noticeable how much friendlier people are in WNY.

Buffalo's taxes are pretty high, like you said. I think they're among the highest in the U.S. From what I've been hearing, this has resulted in some excellent schools in the northern suburbs.

Buffalo is a great city for architecture. Detroit has its charms too, that's for sure, but I don't think they can beat Buffalo City Hall.

Sure there are crappier parts of Buffalo (East Buffalo I find is pretty shifty), and just outside of Buffalo Niagara Falls, NY is disgusting (Niagara Falls, Ontario is pretty run down too once you get past the flashy tourist traps), but all in all I would recommend Buffalo over Detroit to anyone.

I think that once the automakers fail (which they most likely will, bailout or no bailout), Detroit will be far worse off than Buffalo. One of the most significant Internet backbones goes straight through the city (the same backbone that results in all the call centers to be located in St. Catharines/Welland across the river). I find that Buffalo is really only starting to tap into this resource; give it a few years, and Buffalo will be on the rebound. WNY and Niagara Region in Ontario, Canada aren't the greatest for finding work, but the sense of community in both regions cannot be matched. You will feel at home in WNY, just like I do when I'm there.

Sure, I'm technically from the area (across the river in Canada of course), but those are my two converted cents (5 cents Canadian )!
Very, very good post. I used to go through all of the areas you named when I was a student at Michigan State and can totally see what you are saying.

Also, the Windsor/Chatham part of Southern Ontario is going through some tough times as well.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:44 AM

260 posts, read 977,146 times
Both Football teams suck...

Old 12-02-2008, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochester-WNY View Post
Well, one way more than the other and it's not even close. Both have good Hockey teams though.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:30 PM

58 posts, read 198,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochester-WNY View Post
so does clevelands. all 3 cities are cursed by lake erie. i'm convinced of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area