Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 08:57 AM

8 posts, read 27,950 times

Advertisements

So I get home from work to find 2 summonses for the following violations inmy mail box:

Garbage tote within 10 ft of front of building. Initial fine 52 dollars.

Rubbish about property. Initial fine 52 dollars.

So what is the city trying to do here? Does the city not understand that they are convincing homeowners to leave the city in droves for the suburbs? There are more important issues to be done in neighborhoods other than where on parks their garbage tote until trash day.

We all know its just another money grab by One-Term-Brown under the guise of neighborhood "Quality of Life" issues.

Many of my neighbors have been stuck with the same summonses.

I do my best to maintain my property yet have to pay and pay for the folly s of the mayors office again.

GRRRR..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 10:15 AM

2 posts, read 5,066 times
Take responsibility for your property and your actions, abide by the laws it's in all our best interests.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:19 AM

2,972 posts, read 8,211,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H0ckeyfan View Post
So I get home from work to find 2 summonses for the following violations inmy mail box:

Garbage tote within 10 ft of front of building. Initial fine 52 dollars.

Rubbish about property. Initial fine 52 dollars.

So what is the city trying to do here? Does the city not understand that they are convincing homeowners to leave the city in droves for the suburbs? There are more important issues to be done in neighborhoods other than where on parks their garbage tote until trash day.

We all know its just another money grab by One-Term-Brown under the guise of neighborhood "Quality of Life" issues.

Many of my neighbors have been stuck with the same summonses.

I do my best to maintain my property yet have to pay and pay for the folly s of the mayors office again.

GRRRR..
The fine you received is a local law:

Fine Class C - $52.50
IMPROPER STORAGE LOCATION OF CITY PROVIDED RECEPTACLE OR TOTE - CHAPTER 216-14: All garbage receptacles shall be kept in rear yards and may not be stored in the front of properties, unless authorization is received from the Commissioner of Public Works and Streets. (Please make request for waiver in writing to Commissioner of Public Works, 65 Niagara Square, Room 502, Buffalo, New York 14202)

Property owners have been made aware of this ordinance, and it's up to property owners to share this information with any tenants. Exceptions can be made in certain circumstances, such as handicap or elderly persons at residence, or if it's a corner property. If a garbage tote is visable within 50 feet from the curb, a fine will be issued.

Fine are issued for those who put their full totes out too early, or leave empty totes (too long) after garbage has been collected. Totes can be put at the curb the night before collections, and if returned to the required distance from the curb hours after collections, there's nothing to worry about. Though, if a container is put out 2 days prior to collections, that would be a fine or if an empty tote is left at the curb 3 days after trash is picked up, a fine would also be issued. Another fine is having too many bulk items out for pick up, the limit is 2 per week.

More local laws on trash can be found on the City of Buffalo website by clicking here (http://www.ci.buffalo.ny.us/Home/City_Departments/Administrative_Adjudication/LocalLawsForRefuseAndRecyclingCollection - broken link).

By the way, these are quality of life ordinances that were implimented under the Massiello administration years before Brown was elected, as much as people would like to think it's true, this not any type of "money grab" by the current Mayor of Buffalo.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:36 AM

Quote:
So what is the city trying to do here? Does the city not understand that they are convincing homeowners to leave the city in droves for the suburbs?
The Town of West Seneca has similar laws with regards to garbage pick up.

Sanitation Department, Town of West Seneca, New York, USA (http://westseneca.net/sani.html#rubbish - broken link)

Old 11-20-2008, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norfolk View Post
Take responsibility for your property and your actions, abide by the laws it's in all our best interests.

What makes you think I don't abide by the laws? Had I been aware of such ordinance I certainly would abide by them.

Where I live there are many more pressing concerns than where one puts a garbage tote. We have shopping carts throughout the street, prostitutes up and down the main thoroughfare a block away, truants who need to be in school, riffraff walking around with open containers all hours of the day drug houses which later end up torn up and then torn down after they have been set ablaze.

I could go on and on but you get the idea. (I hope)

I work hard at what I do only to have to give my money to city hall for such trivial things. That is wrong. Had I been giving a warning I most certainly not left the totes there. As for the rubbish issue all I had on my porch was my recycling that has been piling up as crews do not pick it up regularly.

So perhaps you could spare me some money to pay these fines??

Didn't think so

Old 11-20-2008, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FedupWNY View Post
The Town of West Seneca has similar laws with regards to garbage pick up.

Sanitation Department, Town of West Seneca, New York, USA (http://westseneca.net/sani.html#rubbish - broken link)

I have lived in Kenmore and there are similar regulations as well. However they give warnings first before issuing a summons but also do an excellent job of informing the general public.

I took a look at the link you provided. Does not state anywhere that totes need to be at least 10 feet from the front of the building. This may be helpful when I contest these.

Oh and thank you for that link too I have been looking all over the City website for the laws regarding this issue.

Have a great day!

Old 11-20-2008, 03:08 PM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,216,327 times
Sounds like garbage to me.

What part of the city are you located in?

I live in West Seneca, we have at least two very unkept rental properties on my street. Nothing has been done to keep them up.

I live in a duplex on the same street and keep it up the best I can. I sure would be upset to get a 50 dollar fine for a garbage tote located in view.

Someone must have called and complained, thats all I can think of.

Gosh, about a mile from my house, there are absolutely TERRIBLE looking properties in south buffalo. I don't even let my girlfriend drive there to pickup a pizza at the restaurant up there, they are so impoverished.

Good luck with it man, I would call them and fight it.

Old 11-20-2008, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinH View Post
Sounds like garbage to me.

What part of the city are you located in?

Good luck with it man, I would call them and fight it.

Near Buffalo State. Grant and Forest area.

Old 11-20-2008, 03:32 PM

Quote:
I took a look at the link you provided. Does not state anywhere that totes need to be at least 10 feet from the front of the building. This may be helpful when I contest these.
Though it is stated "All garbage receptacles shall be kept in rear yards and may not be stored in the front of properties"

If you honestly haven't a place to store your totes further back, then you might be able to get a sticker from the City of Buffalo so that you won't get a fine again, chances are, you'll still have to pay the fines and chalk it up as a $104 lesson learned. It happened to someone I know who owns a corner property, there was no way for him to keep the totes back far enough, he received a special sticker, but still had to pay the fine because he didn't have the sticker prior to the ticket. If you don't comply with keeping your tote back, or get a sticker (if it applies) you'll keep getting fined.

Was this for a commercial or residential property? The rules might be different. HTH.

Old 11-20-2008, 03:42 PM

Residential. Something to look into. While I could store the cans in the back of the house, it is quite impractical in the winter time.

A few of my neighbors also got tickets. None of us hears of this before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area