Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2008, 08:53 AM

5 posts, read 10,735 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I am originally from Depew, now living in North Iowa. I really miss the WNY area. My wife and kids are ok with living here in Iowa. My wife's mom and sister live here and she is very close to them. My family and friends are still in WNY. We have been here for five years and I am ready to go back to WNY. I am in the restaurant industry and my wife is a RN. The restaurants around here are national chains with boring ez-bake food.
So, we have a dilemma. I would like to go back to WNY, my wife doesn't want to. Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 09:18 AM

969 posts, read 2,073,570 times
Commercial (and residential) real estate in Jamestown is very cheap and it's a neat little downtown which I think needs more good non-franchise eateries. It's a depressed area so it would be risky, but I think eventually it will see good times and the area does get lots of summer tourists.

Old 11-25-2008, 12:27 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,857,067 times
I was in the res biz a long time ago - many are popping up still - your best bet is to transfer, there are usually always rest mgt jobs here with the larger franchises and they pay better than locally owned, although locally owned might taste much better!!!!

hmmm, your wife doesnt want to move??? If your wife is happy - you'll be happy as well. When mom is happy, pretty much the entire house is calm and happy if you know what i mean.

i'd be happy to give you ideas on homes and prices and in the area now, but in the long run, unless your both in agreement, well, I am just saying..................................... the grass just may not be greener this time.......... come home for a visit and see what she has to say then!!!!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!! make a turkey happy - eat ham!!!!!!

Old 11-25-2008, 01:41 PM

Thanks for the replies. There are aroud 75 restaurants around here and 8 are not national chain type restaurants. The food here is blah to meh.

My wife likes being around her mom and sis more than being in this area. Unfortunately, her mom and sis would never move to NY.

I'll probably come back to WNY in the spring and check out the restaurant/job scene. Maybe by then, my wife will change her mind.
Thanks again,
b

Old 11-25-2008, 08:38 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,348,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloBill70 View Post
Thanks for the replies. There are aroud 75 restaurants around here and 8 are not national chain type restaurants. The food here is blah to meh.

My wife likes being around her mom and sis more than being in this area. Unfortunately, her mom and sis would never move to NY.

I'll probably come back to WNY in the spring and check out the restaurant/job scene. Maybe by then, my wife will change her mind.
Thanks again,
b
I'm sure you can convince her once you take her there to see the restaurant scene - especially in the Emwood Village and downtown - lots of boutique restaurants and no or few chains.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:38 AM

Besides family and friends, I miss the great food. I'm ready to order everything from the Redlinski's website. I've heard that nursing jobs and restaurant jobs are still pretty abundant in WNY. The only hospital here in Mason City has been laying off nurses. I wouldn't like to see my wife getting laid off, but if it happens, WNY would be our first relocation choice.

Old 11-27-2008, 11:15 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,815,877 times
Why not come and visit? You said you have family here.Spend a week and she can see how nice it is.

Old 11-28-2008, 07:55 AM

We spend a week in WNY almost every summer except last year, when we were stuck in Iowa because of the floods. I think the main reasons she is hesitant is because of her family being here. Her family is a little bit crazy and my wife feels the need to rescue our nieces when her sister is not using good judgement. I don't think my wife dislikes WNY(except the snow), I think she wants to be here to take care of our nieces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area