Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2008, 07:06 PM

93,164 posts, read 123,754,884 times

Advertisements

I know Kenilworth is in the town of Tonawanda and Eggertsville is in the town of Amherst, but I was wondering what school districts are these communities in? Are they nice suburban neighborhoods? Is it more middle class, upper middle class, lower middle class, etc...? Are they "diverse" neighborhoods?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 06:10 PM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,216,088 times
Kenilworth would be Ken-Ton Schools.

I grew up about 4-5 blocks from that area.

There were years that the area was going bad (near the Kenilworth park), but the Town stepped in and really fixed it. They gave very low interest loans to the right people, and built some new houses in an area that needed it.

You are in the Town of Tonawanda, about a half mile from North Buffalo (University Heights district)..

What street are you looking at? They are mostly cookie cutter suburban houses.

Bring it up on google streetview, I played many a basketball game in that park when I was a boy.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:48 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,809,362 times
Most of the houses replaced in Kenilworth were kit homes from the 1920s which were starting to fall apart..... I know someone who had one, got a loan and only needed to stay a short while and could sell at a profit and move on. The house then was "market value"

Old 07-09-2015, 07:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,400 times
I live in Kenilworth actually. It's an OK suburb. It's been starting to go a little downhill. If you are looking for better part of the town of Tonawanda my rule of thumb is to look north of Sheridan Dr.

Old 07-14-2015, 10:49 PM

605 posts, read 490,846 times
Given that six and a half years and have passed and that you've made tens of thousands of CD posts since, you might well have happened upon an answer to the other half of your query, but Eggertsville would be Amherst central. In fact, Amherst High is located within a block of Eggertsville, as I understand the border of Eggertsville (Wiki lists the eastern border as Getzville/Berryman). Eggertsville is directly next to Snyder along Main Street and generally has a similar classy upper-middle class vibe. Trees and Tudors, that sort of thing. There are some genuinely high-end houses as well; LeBrun Rd is one of the priciest streets in the entire area, and that'd fall entirely within Eggertsville (actually, a slight bit of it may cross the city boundary, near Bailey). Crime rates in Eggertsville are probably a bit higher than elsewhere in this former "safest city in America" due to proximity to Buffalo, although I may be wrong on that. NeighborhoodScout or whatever might say otherwise

Old 07-15-2015, 06:34 AM

93,164 posts, read 123,754,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcnkwcz View Post
Given that six and a half years and have passed and that you've made tens of thousands of CD posts since, you might well have happened upon an answer to the other half of your query, but Eggertsville would be Amherst central. In fact, Amherst High is located within a block of Eggertsville, as I understand the border of Eggertsville (Wiki lists the eastern border as Getzville/Berryman). Eggertsville is directly next to Snyder along Main Street and generally has a similar classy upper-middle class vibe. Trees and Tudors, that sort of thing. There are some genuinely high-end houses as well; LeBrun Rd is one of the priciest streets in the entire area, and that'd fall entirely within Eggertsville (actually, a slight bit of it may cross the city boundary, near Bailey). Crime rates in Eggertsville are probably a bit higher than elsewhere in this former "safest city in America" due to proximity to Buffalo, although I may be wrong on that. NeighborhoodScout or whatever might say otherwise
Thanks.....At the time, I was curious about the boundaries of those communities and if both are served by one school district or if parts of each community are within different districts.

Also, I believe that prior to the 2010 US Census, there wasn't any demographic data for either place as a Census Designated Place(aka CDP). I believe that Eggertsville (CDP) is the only one out of the two that showed demographic info for the 2010 Census.

Old 07-17-2015, 03:06 AM

605 posts, read 490,846 times
I think that census designation is consistent with reality, with a hypothetical POTSNRI (Person On The Street Name Recognizability Index). If it weren't for Facebook location tagging (or this post), I'd never have heard of Kenilworth. I've passed Kenilworth Avenue at its intersection with Niagara Falls Boulevard, but I never would have had reason to assume that it also lent its name to a neighborhood/district, as in 29 years of life in this area I've never heard it referenced in conversation or in other media. Eggertsville at least has signage, name recognition, etc. Although, upon Googling, I see there's a Kenilworh library and FD. If unaware of the existence of these things, though, you'd have no reason to assume Kenilworth to be a neighborhood namesake. To turn the tables a bit, I wonder how many Kenilworthers are aware of the existence of the Hamlet of Ebenezer in West Seneca

Old 07-19-2015, 01:43 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,809,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcnkwcz View Post
I think that census designation is consistent with reality, with a hypothetical POTSNRI (Person On The Street Name Recognizability Index). If it weren't for Facebook location tagging (or this post), I'd never have heard of Kenilworth. I've passed Kenilworth Avenue at its intersection with Niagara Falls Boulevard, but I never would have had reason to assume that it also lent its name to a neighborhood/district, as in 29 years of life in this area I've never heard it referenced in conversation or in other media. Eggertsville at least has signage, name recognition, etc. Although, upon Googling, I see there's a Kenilworh library and FD. If unaware of the existence of these things, though, you'd have no reason to assume Kenilworth to be a neighborhood namesake. To turn the tables a bit, I wonder how many Kenilworthers are aware of the existence of the Hamlet of Ebenezer in West Seneca
As many people know Ebenezer as know Town Line beween Lancaster & Alden, which seceded from the Union in the Civil War.... Look around, there are hundreds of hamlets.

As to kenilworth, it was an area where the original owners bought deep lots in the 1920s with the intent of building nive homes - but throwing up shabby ones while they were waiting to do it. Depression came? Lots of those houses never got built and the original ones stayed. Years back, Tonawanda bought a bunch and rehabbed them and sold to low income middle class. My friend lived in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area