Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 10:37 PM

2,972 posts, read 8,211,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineFromBuffalo View Post
Kensington was also an awful school. Kensington was a district school which meant if you could not get into a school like City Honors, Hutch Tech, Performing Arts you went to your district school. 86% of the school population was black and 90% of the students rated free lunch which means their parents made less then $30000 or whatever it is. Now I am no racist nor do I think if you are poor you are worthless, but that is not a school I would want to go to.
After all that, how do you rate Seneca's closing back then?

How would you know if Kensington was an "awful" school if you said you went to/"loved Tech"? I read your entire post as stereotyping inner city of a school you've never attended.

By chance, what are your opinions of other district schools (today) like South Park? hmmmm?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 12:47 AM

137 posts, read 316,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedupWNY View Post
After all that, how do you rate Seneca's closing back then?

How would you know if Kensington was an "awful" school if you said you went to/"loved Tech"? I read your entire post as stereotyping inner city of a school you've never attended.

By chance, what are your opinions of other district schools (today) like South Park? hmmmm?
I know Kensington was an awful school because people dreaded going there. I went to Riverside Highschool when I was in 7th & 8th grade for advanced classes. Yeah people getting jumped and shot when they got off the bus, not cool. I earned getting into Tech. I have been to those high schools to try to recruit men and women into the Marines. I don't know anything about South Park, so I am not going to talk about South Park. My mother is also a teacher in Buffalo Public schools and has been teaching for more then 25 years. She also worked on a board that met in Albany and discussed issues in schools, and before someone says something dumb, my mother also LIVES in the city in a not so fabulous neighborhood. I am not stereotyping. It is the true and I am sorry you feel the need to doubt me.
So Fedup, would you send your children to Kensington if it was still open? I find it funny how I am critized just because I didnt attend those schools and I went to a good high school. I may be young but I don't post just to watch my post count go up, I put out the information I KNOW. Kensington was NOT a safe high school are a good place to get you education. More then half of the freshman students did not graduate Senior year.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:59 AM

Marine, seems like what you know (or posted) is the gloom & doom of Buffalo schools, making it to imply that everyday kids are being shot, getting jumped, cars broken into, free lunches, low income, etc. It's those type of comments which makes people not want to send their children to any school in the city, and the quality of the schools are completely overlooked. In trying to find a positive in the city of Buffalo, what of the other half of student who did graduate from their freshman year? What you said you know (I read as) is the down side.

Buffalo schools currently has a 65% graduation rate, I don't think I've see anyone post that.

http://www.buffaloschools.org/files/...te%20BPS%2Epdf

Old 12-17-2008, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Marine, seems like what you know (or posted) is the gloom & doom of Buffalo schools, making it to imply that everyday kids are being shot, getting jumped, cars broken into, free lunches, low income, etc. It's those type of comments which makes people not want to send their children to any school in the city, and the quality of the schools are completely overlooked. In trying to find a positive in the city of Buffalo, what of the other half of student who did graduate from their freshman year? What you said you know (I read as) is the down side.

Buffalo schools currently has a 65% graduation rate, I don't think I've see anyone post that.

http://www.buffaloschools.org/files/...te%20BPS%2Epdf
No see you are putting words into my mouth, I said Kensington was a bad school period, and the only other school I mentioned was Riverside. You said that Kensington was one of the Voc schools that closed. People have the right to know that, that school should be their LAST resort. There are plenty of other high schools that a student can request to go to. Emersion (culinary arts) McKinney (architecture, environmental sciences) Performing arts (music, dance) Hutch Tech (architecture, computer sciences, bio-chem.) City Honors (College prep) and there is more to I just can not remember all of them. When I 'applied' for high school I had a list of about 20 different high schools I could attend. High schools like Kensington, Burgard, Riverside, South Park are district high schools that a student ends up going to if they are not accepted into any of their 3 choices.

Old 12-17-2008, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineFromBuffalo View Post
People have the right to know that, that school should be their LAST resort.
That's funny, I've always known "alternative" to be the last resort.

People also have the right know that schools like Burgard, Riverside, South Park are schools that also offer trades as well, making them more than district schools. Kensington, while closed now, had business, science and english courses as well as (at least) 8 sports activities. Seneca had trades of excellence in engineering, auto shop, eletrical, etc.

It's okay though, I'm too tired of being the only person on this forum trying uphold the city as so many haven't anything more than to keep dumping on Buffalo. Not meaning you Marine, but the frustration to defend this city isn't worthy of everyone else's "Buffalo is crap" state of mind.

Old 12-18-2008, 02:54 AM

Quote:

People also have the right know that schools like Burgard, Riverside, South Park are schools that also offer trades as well, making them more than district schools. Kensington, while closed now, had business, science and english courses as well as (at least) 8 sports activities. Seneca had trades of excellence in engineering, auto shop, eletrical, etc.

It's okay though, I'm too tired of being the only person on this forum trying uphold the city as so many haven't anything more than to keep dumping on Buffalo. Not meaning you Marine, but the frustration to defend this city isn't worthy of everyone else's "Buffalo is crap" state of mind.
I am NOT putting down Buffalo, I love Buffalo. I am putting down Kensington. It is... was a horrible school. Every program that they offered was availible at a better school a safer school. I don't know many schools that don't offer a lot of sports Hutch Tech has baseball, basketball (boys and girls) football, baseball, softball, soccer (boys and girls), hockey (girls can play on the varsity team) volleyball (girls), tennis (both), cross country (both), track, bowling and I know City Honors and Mckinnely have the same programs as well as most other schools because face it you cant have a team sport without teams to play.

Buffalo is great and I got a great education from Buffalo Public Schools. But I would never send my kids to one of the district high schools.

Fedup, would you let your kids go to Kensington after knowing all of that? I doubt it and that is the point I am trying to make, someones children would have a better chance of succeeding at a non district school and no matter what middle school you go to in the buffalo publics schools you have the ability to make a choice what high school you go to.

Old 12-19-2008, 04:13 AM

6 posts, read 13,841 times
I called Hutch Tech yesterday to inquire on admissions. Unfortunately, they are only accepting 9th and 10th grade placements this year. My son will be entering 11th.

The school might want to reconsider who answers the phone in guidance. The person I spoke with sounded borderline illiterate. Terrible grammer. I was too busy trying to understand her, that I didn't get the message at first. I had to have her repeat the information. She was also snacking on something whilst talking.

Good job there are people like all of you on the board to talk up schools like this, otherwise, newcomers would definately form the wrong opinion.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:09 AM

3,970 posts, read 5,762,977 times
Quote:

I am reading all of this with amazement - amazement that Buffalo's public schools are so much like Boston, Massachusetts' public schools. Over here at the eastern end of Interstate 90, we have a selection of very good schools that one can get into only by examination or special selection (such as Boston Latin, the City Honors of Boston and John D. O'Bryant, the Hutchinson Tech of Boston). Anyone who cannot get into these schools (either unqualified or came to the system after 9th grade) get dumped in district schools with no special admissions.

I worked for a number of years in several district high schools in Boston and all I can say is that it is not impossible to get a good education from them. It depends on the student's interests, how hard h/she works at it, and the type of people h/she associates with. I have known kids who went to the worst run-down district high schools and ended up getting full scholarships to prestigious colleges because they worked hard and stayed focused. I am sure you can say the same for Buffalo district schools. The one thing that bothers good students in the district schools are distractions from unruly classmates who see no future for themselves. You get those in the exam schools too but not as many.

I am digressing from the message I know. I just want to say that I really like Buffalo even though I visited it only three times. I think it has much room for opportunity and I sincerely hope it will get it soon. And bravo for the starter of this message who is coming from Toronto. I like Toronto too but Buffalo truly is a place that can use some new blood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area