Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 08:16 AM

29 posts, read 66,687 times

Advertisements

And I'm not talking about the city, village or town plowers.Those men and women i give alot of credit to. Especially the last 3-4 days. I think they have done a tremendous job clearing the streets and i know for a fact that do whatever they can to get down the side streets. Ever see the size of the plows in front of their trucks? What are they to do when people dont move their car? Almost all the city streets are very narrow. Yet they will be the first to complain that their street hasnt been plowed! People..... you want your street to be plowed? MOVE YOUR CAR!
Anyway, the reason for this post is for the individual contractors. I know they have a tough schedule and are plowing all day and night on zero sleep. But Im sorry, some have no heart at all. I was at a sunoco gas station yesterday and there was a a guy in there with a plow. He was getting a cup of well deserved coffee whn an elder lady .. maybe 70 years young walked up to him and asked if that wat his plow he replied yes it is. She says... I live 1 street over and i can't get into my driveway, could you please plow my driveway. You dont have to do the whole thing, just the end where it is nothing but rocks of ice so I can pull my car in? The guy looks and pauses. He then proceeds to say sure, I just finished up with my clients. so she gives him the address and he responds....."ok i'll be right there, put your flashers on in front of your house and have the money ready. It will be $100.00."
Im thinking to myself, holy crap are you kidding me? Wheres the Christmas spirit? 1 street over? $100.00 bucks? Im sorry, I think that is just flat out being a grinch and taking advantage of someone. If he didn't want to do it then he could of said he couldnt. It saddens me to see people taken advantage of. Yes, she could of said no, but I dont think she was really all there and was in panic mode. I swear, I wish i had a plow becaus i would of stepped in and have done it for free.

Old 12-22-2008, 12:33 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,856,499 times
$20 would have been a fair amount of money to pay for that service - The guy is a total ass, I wish you would have known his name or name of his company - probably not even licensed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-22-2008, 01:11 PM

You know i was thinking the same thing. The poor woman could of called anyone else for less than that but maybe she tried. Whatever the case, karma will get even with him.

Old 12-26-2008, 10:48 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,813,590 times
That guy had no desire to do the plowing.

My kid, in S. Buffalo, had a guy who will do a single plow for $20.

We have a plow guy; its over 100 feet of driveway, doublewidth and on a county hwy/rural ( the county plows fill the entry with ice chunks as they whiz by at high speeds). He shows early am, late pm and -- if need be -- in between, as long as there is more than 6" snow. He comes less often if its only 3" ( what he defines in his contract). He has plowed for us since 2002; his cost then was $175 and it is now $300/season. He does lots of businesses in the area, doesn't take new clients, but he is a saint.... the snow blowing was getting to be too tough... we didn't mind w/kids home to do it, but we retired and it was a lot of work.

God Bless the good guys!

Old 12-27-2008, 12:05 PM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,217,522 times
Glad to see that some honest hard work is being done.

I feel for the elderly woman in the original post, but honestly if you are elderly then have a contract setup in advance to get your snow removed. You live in buffalo. Why would you go asking random people with a plow on their truck for help.

Old 12-28-2008, 01:48 AM

137 posts, read 316,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinH View Post

I feel for the elderly woman in the original post, but honestly if you are elderly then have a contract setup in advance to get your snow removed. You live in buffalo. Why would you go asking random people with a plow on their truck for help.
You never know, the women may usually have her grandkids/kids do it for her but maybe they were out of town. Or her normal guy had an emergency and couldn't get there.

Old 12-28-2008, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinH View Post

That is possible but like the post after yours, it is possible a neighbor did it or grandkids. Or, she could just be living off the bare minimum and can't afford it. Bottom line IMO is the guy was a jerk.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:42 AM

2,972 posts, read 8,213,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inneedofanangel View Post
That is possible but like the post after yours, it is possible a neighbor did it or grandkids. Or, she could just be living off the bare minimum and can't afford it. Bottom line IMO is the guy was a jerk.
How do ya know the guy with the plow isn't living off the bare minimum as well? For all we know he could have been out of work and plowing to put food on the table for his family. It is expensive having a plow. Auto insurance, liability insurance, gas, maintenance on the vehicle, tavel expenses, etc. all go into the cost of having a plow, as well as having to deal with people seeking something for nothing. I know guys with plows who often break-even each season, it doesn't make them greedy for charging to clear a driveway, it makes the earning a living to support their own family. I'm sure the little lady was honest, but the "holiday spirit" doesn't always pays the bills. I think it's pretty unfair in not knowing both sides of a story before calling a guy a jerk on the internet.

Old 12-29-2008, 11:33 AM

[quote=FedupWNY;6745366]How do ya know the guy with the plow isn't living off the bare minimum as well? For all we know he could have been out of work and plowing to put food on the table for his family. It is expensive having a plow. Auto insurance, liability insurance, gas, maintenance on the vehicle, tavel expenses, etc. all go into the cost of having a plow, as well as having to deal with people seeking something for nothing. I know guys with plows who often break-even each season, it doesn't make them greedy for charging to clear a driveway, it makes the earning a living to support their own family. I'm sure the little lady was honest, but the "holiday spirit" doesn't always pays the bills. I think it's pretty unfair in not knowing both sides of a story before calling a guy a jerk on the internet. [/quote

First off, the lady didnt ask for him to do it for free. Second, If the guy was it that dire straits, Im sure he would have trouble fronting all the expenses setting up his business. Third, think what you want but I'll say it again, the guy was a jerk. That is my opinion and I seen what went on. And lastly, IMO it sure does make HIM greedy for asking for $100.00 bucks to do it. How do I not know both sides of the story? The guy was there, the lady was there, the plow was there. If you read my beginning post, i never criticized ALL plowers. I guess your entitled to your opinion and obviously dont like my take on it which is fine. My question to you is if you were a plower in that situation, poor or well off.......what would you do?

Old 12-29-2008, 03:19 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,856,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedupWNY View Post
How do ya know the guy with the plow isn't living off the bare minimum as well? For all we know he could have been out of work and plowing to put food on the table for his family. It is expensive having a plow. Auto insurance, liability insurance, gas, maintenance on the vehicle, tavel expenses, etc. all go into the cost of having a plow, as well as having to deal with people seeking something for nothing. I know guys with plows who often break-even each season, it doesn't make them greedy for charging to clear a driveway, it makes the earning a living to support their own family. I'm sure the little lady was honest, but the "holiday spirit" doesn't always pays the bills. I think it's pretty unfair in not knowing both sides of a story before calling a guy a jerk on the internet.
I agree with you that it is expensive to own a plow - if he's normally charging these rates, he probably doenst have many customers though...... hence his high rates. He should go for volume, he'd do much better.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area