Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 10:48 PM

14 posts, read 30,752 times

Advertisements

Moving to Buffalo from Cleveland... what are some good locations? I'd like a stable residential area, with decent schools and a good community. Safe is obviously a plus!
I've heard tons of suggestions from friends, but not being from there I don't know too much about them. Seeing a realtor next week, any areas I should bring up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 11:15 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,544,841 times
How much are you looking to spend? Where are you going to work & how close would you like to be to work? Prefer suburbs or city?

Old 05-29-2011, 12:20 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,813,590 times
If you are from Cleveland, the weather won't be a big issue as it is with people from areas where they have never seen snow.

What is the price range?
Are you into "keeping up w/the Jones" yuppiedom and SUVs and McMansions or normal people with no big bills?
How long do you want to commute (time is generally short here)?
New development or older neighborhood like a village?
How do you feel about smaller towns (like beyond a 3rd ring suburb -- some are really nice)?

More info needed

Old 05-29-2011, 09:05 PM

I can reasonably afford up to $300k. Not big into keeping up with the Jones type of thing, and I prefer more safe urban type areas. I find new development tacky. Can anyone tell me about Kenmore? I have heard it is similar to Lakewood, OH which I love.

I'll be working downtown and prefer to be close to public transport.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:56 AM

93,292 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Kenmore or maybe Snyder in the town of Amherst might be more to your liking. Kenmore is a very dense suburban village right next to or close to some of the nicest parts of the city of Buffalo. Actually, a drive down Elmwood takes you into the Elmwood Village area of the city. Welcome to the Village of Kenmore

Kenmore Town of Tonawanda UFSD

Kenmore NY - Kenmore Village Improvement Society - KVIS

Tonawanda, NY - Official Website

Kenmore is Named One of the Top 10 Great Neighborhoods in the United States

You might like villages like Lancaster, Hamburg, Williamsville or Orchard Park. Maybe nicer parts of the city of Tonawanda too.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:03 AM

252 posts, read 649,993 times
North Buffalo (north of Amherst Street between Delaware and Main) is very safe, stable, and pleasant. The local public school (PS 81) is one of the better elementary schools in the city as far as standardized testing scores go.

The residential streets around Elmwood Avenue between Forest and North are very nice (considerably higher-end than North Buffalo) but the public schools in that area have lower test scores. There are private Catholic schools if you are into that, and some charter schools that have a lottery admission in the neighborhood. The neighborhood is probably less safe than North Buffalo (because of proximity to lower-income areas and because of the nearby college) but I would not consider it at all unsafe (my 3 year old and I spent a lot of time here at the farmer's market, etc.).

The village of Kenmore surrounding Delaware Avenue is nicely urban, but looking more and more weathered as time goes on. I don't know about the elementary schools in that area (I believe the high school has a bad reputation).

Any of these areas have good public transportation to downtown Buffalo.

Don't dismiss city neighborhoods out of hand just on the hearsay of people with a knee-jerk prejudice against the city. There are some great neighborhoods in Buffalo for raising families, and I personally feel that city kids receive many advantages from their environment over their suburban counterparts (especially as they get older and want to be a little independent). Check it out yourself and make your own decision.

Old 06-02-2011, 02:27 AM

4,135 posts, read 10,813,590 times
I also suggest Lancaster. [I am biased; I live in the town and we raised our daughters here] The village is older and settled; no cookie cutter homes there. The town is also quite old... until you get to the developments which recently began to infringe onto farmland.

Good schools, good prices, reasonable taxes.

SAFE !!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-02-2011, 05:43 AM

33 posts, read 71,327 times
-Are you tolerant to commuting?,if so,how tolerant?
-What are the kids school ages?

-Areas Close to the city: Delaware District, North Buffalo, Kenmore
-Some commuting and less Urban : Amherst,clarence,Williamsville

Last edited by dj0077; 06-02-2011 at 05:45 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-03-2011, 07:18 AM

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Went to view houses in Kenmore, Elmwood District and some around Parkside so far, and I think Kenmore is the front runner followed by Parkside. Some great houses on Argonne and Wardman Avenues. Also visited the elementary school (Lindbergh) with the kids, from what I've read a good school. Loved the Parkside location, but seemed like the houses needed more work to get up and running. Will be checking out a few houses in Williamsville and Cheektowaga next time I am in town

Old 06-03-2011, 07:35 AM

196 posts, read 443,040 times
I was in the same boat a few years back. We found a nice place in East Amherst off Transit. Behind the transitvalley golf club. Very quiet. Lots of nice familys. Zip code is 14051 is you are doing a relator search. We kept it in our budget. Could of gotten more, but ended up spending about 250K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area