Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 10:12 AM

2,972 posts, read 8,211,553 times

Advertisements

Subsidy for Bills will top $7.35 million
$817,000 per game is cost to taxpayers

In part it says:
Quote:
In 2010, when the Bills again play a preseason game and a home game in Toronto, the hometown taxpayer subsidy is expected to top more than $900,000 for each game played in Western New York.

But for 2009, Erie County will:

• Set aside $4.2 million for operating and game-day expenses this year. It was $3.9 million last year.

• Continue to pay for stadium upgrades: $2.9 million for this year’s improvements.

• Again provide the Sheriff’s Office detail for game-day security, in addition to the private security firms the Bills hire. Using last year as a guide, the county will pay the deputies about $240,000 this year.

Add it up: $7.35 million. For the nine games to be played in Orchard Park, that equates to $817.000 a game from Erie County taxpayers — for a team that last reached the playoffs in 1999, the second season under the team’s current lease.
Read it all, click this link http://www.buffalonews.com/cityregion/buffaloerie/story/552787.html

My question is, how much more is the taxpayers of Erie County expected to pay for a losing team? Even with two less games in Buffalo, we have to pay more to keep the Bills here. I can only pray that the Bills are pulled out of Buffalo ASAP because the expense of carrying this team every year is breaking the backs of taxpayers.

We have far more interests that need financial attention in Erie County, the Buffalo Bills should be last on the list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 02:38 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,346,055 times
I don't care what it will cost us. The Bills ARE western new york. 8 out of 10 people of WNY are Bills fans. To take them away would be devastating to our region.

Old 01-21-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalonian4life View Post
I don't care what it will cost us. The Bills ARE western new york. 8 out of 10 people of WNY are Bills fans. To take them away would be devastating to our region.
What, beside more taxes, could be more devastating to the people of Erie County? Do you think that if they keep increasing taxes the resident of this county will want to stay as long as the losing Buffalo Bills remain? Higher taxes is one of the most leading causes of people leaving, I can't believe added taxes would be supported for a football team that hasn't had a AFC championship win since 1994.

Old 01-21-2009, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FedupWNY View Post
What, beside more taxes, could be more devastating to the people of Erie County? Do you think that if they keep increasing taxes the resident of this county will want to stay as long as the losing Buffalo Bills remain? Higher taxes is one of the most leading causes of people leaving, I can't believe added taxes would be supported for a football team that hasn't had a AFC championship win since 1994.

Okay, I understand your point about how people will probably move out more because of the reason for higher taxes over the Buffalo Bills staying, but how do the other cities do it? You may not be a fan of our community's Buffalo Bills, but the greater community as a whole would never "want" the Bills to just leave. For you to say that the Bills must leave now due to these taxes is a little over the top. The legacy of the Bills has always lived on, and their existence here since the 1950's have since created one of the largest fan bases in the country with arguably the best fans in the world.

Taxes are absolutely torturous here in WNY, but I cannot help to say that the Bills are needed here no matter what. For them to leave would certainly put an even larger dent in Buffalo, and unfortunately be downgraded from a real professional - major league town. The Sabres are great, the Bills are better. For us to still have this team is a success story itself, and if we can hold on out through this temporary turmoil would be an even greater story. I don't see how anyone could just say that the Bills need to leave now - considering the fact that even if they aren't fans, you would think they would put the greater community above that fact first. Perhaps we can figure out a way to lessen taxes and keep the Bills here. There will be a way - and if succeeded, The Buffalo Bills will remain one of the city's largest boons - being put on an international spotlight. Without them we become Toledo, Ohio.

The Bills are Buffalo. Not a part. They are one of the few things this area has left - and until our economic boom that is on the horizon appears in full effect, we need the Buffalo Bills.

Old 01-21-2009, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalonian4life View Post

Okay, I understand your point about how people will probably move out more because of the reason for higher taxes over the Buffalo Bills staying, but how do the other cities do it? You may not be a fan of our community's Buffalo Bills, but the greater community as a whole would never "want" the Bills to just leave. For you to say that the Bills must leave now due to these taxes is a little over the top. The legacy of the Bills has always lived on, and their existence here since the 1950's have since created one of the largest fan bases in the country with arguably the best fans in the world.

Taxes are absolutely torturous here in WNY, but I cannot help to say that the Bills are needed here no matter what. For them to leave would certainly put an even larger dent in Buffalo, and unfortunately be downgraded from a real professional - major league town. The Sabres are great, the Bills are better. For us to still have this team is a success story itself, and if we can hold on out through this temporary turmoil would be an even greater story. I don't see how anyone could just say that the Bills need to leave now - considering the fact that even if they aren't fans, you would think they would put the greater community above that fact first. Perhaps we can figure out a way to lessen taxes and keep the Bills here. There will be a way - and if succeeded, The Buffalo Bills will remain one of the city's largest boons - being put on an international spotlight. Without them we become Toledo, Ohio.

The Bills are Buffalo. Not a part. They are one of the few things this area has left - and until our economic boom that is on the horizon appears in full effect, we need the Buffalo Bills.
It's true that I'm not a fan of the Bills, though it's not the team per say, it's the taxes behind the team that the taxpayers are being forced to pay more and more for. The best way to keep the Bills here and not make the taxpayers bare the burden of a losing football team is to make the Ralph Wilson pay for his own dang team and stadium instead of holding his hand out for more money from the taxpayers.

Old 01-21-2009, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FedupWNY View Post
The best way to keep the Bills here and not make the taxpayers bare the burden of of a losing football team is to make the Ralph Wilson pay for his own dang team and stadium instead of holding his hand out for more money from the taxpayers.
I can agree 100% to that, FedupWNY - that is something that many of us WNYians have struggled to figure out as to why this guy wont buy his own needs for the team like the taxes, and the stadium he is honored to have his name engraved in. (same goes for all owners of an NFL team or other Major League Team).

Old 01-21-2009, 05:46 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,855,478 times
Keep in mind that our ticket prices are among the lowest in the nfl - just saying this might be why. Not agreeing with it or disagreeing, just stating a point. I have tickets, had them in my family for over 40 years and won't give them up b/c I have two boys that might enjoy them down the road and would never be able to get these seats again in a million years. If they left, it would be ok with me, as right now I use them mostly for clients.

Old 01-21-2009, 05:57 PM

3,970 posts, read 5,762,977 times
Why does that city on the shore of Lake Ontario look so sunny all of the sudden?

The Bills leave Buffalo? Never! That is one longtme icon of the city.

If the current franchise is too pricey, it should be swapped with another. I suppose buying the Detroit Lions is not a bad idea as long as Buffalo has a football team. Heck, swap the Patriots, Tom Brady, Matt Cassel and all! Then Buffalo really will win a Super Bowl.

Old 01-21-2009, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAugust View Post
Keep in mind that our ticket prices are among the lowest in the nfl - just saying this might be why.
Then they should up the price of the tickets to offset what the taxpayers are expected to pay. It only comes out to $11.05 more per ticket. If Bills fans are as diehard as they say, they shouldn't have a problem paying a little extra cash to go to games instead of all of the taxpayers being expected to pay.

Old 01-21-2009, 06:30 PM

3,970 posts, read 5,762,977 times
Whoops. I forgot, the Patriots would want even more money if they were to leave Massachusetts. Scratch that idea. But seriously, if Buffalo were to lose one of its major league sports teams, it would be a heartbreaking blow to the region. It would only worsen Buffalo's image of a downtrodden city that can't afford anything anymore. I sincerely think that Buffalo is not in a position to lose anymore things. It needs to gain things but if that is not possible at the moment, then it really has to hold on tight to what it has.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area