Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 02:24 PM

53 posts, read 157,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Actually, the state's population has grown, not declined. It's not huge growth, but it is growing nonetheless.

Any growth in NY State is in the NY City area. Population decline is a fact in the rest of the sate. Buffalo had around twice the population 100 years ago than it does now. Sad but true. Anyone buying a home in Buffalo is buying just that; a HOME. It's not an investment but a HOME.....that will probably be worth much less in a few years. Just the sad truth. I love this area but it can be a challenge to stay here. I'm willing to give it 5 more years and then I leave. Hope for the best but prepare for relocation.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:14 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,518,634 times
Buffalo peaked in the year 1946 at I believe 588,000 its lost every year since- the suburbs are not as clear. This is not meant to be negative -the dirty industry is gone - the city is very easy to drive in- and its not cluttered with ugly new buildings. Its those f------ real estate taxes that bother me.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:18 PM

93,164 posts, read 123,754,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldinbuffalo View Post
Any growth in NY State is in the NY City area. Population decline is a fact in the rest of the sate. Buffalo had around twice the population 100 years ago than it does now. Sad but true. Anyone buying a home in Buffalo is buying just that; a HOME. It's not an investment but a HOME.....that will probably be worth much less in a few years. Just the sad truth. I love this area but it can be a challenge to stay here. I'm willing to give it 5 more years and then I leave. Hope for the best but prepare for relocation.
I know about cities Upstate, but it is just a fact that the state's population has actually growth slightly each year. You are right that most of it is in NYC or downstate though. I believe the Albany area is the exception, as is Tompkins and Jefferson counties due to institutions there.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:44 PM

53 posts, read 157,773 times
Albany= government= government jobs. That might explain the growth. Government is the ONLY place that is hiring in NY depsite the worst fiscal crisis in it's history. Institutions in tompkins and Jefferson counties are also Government.

Like I said before: 5 years and if nothing changes, I'm gone. Government being the largest employer in the state CAN NOT BE SUSTAINED.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:54 PM

93,164 posts, read 123,754,884 times
Quote:
Albany= government= government jobs. That might explain the growth. Government is the ONLY place that is hiring in NY depsite the worst fiscal crisis in it's history. Institutions in tompkins and Jefferson counties are also Government.

Like I said before: 5 years and if nothing changes, I'm gone. Government being the largest employer in the state CAN NOT BE SUSTAINED.
Actually, the institutions in the Ithaca area are private in Cornell University and Ithaca College. That's where the jobs are in that area. In Jefferson county, it is government due to Fort Drum mainly and the prisons to a smaller degree.

Old 03-13-2009, 01:34 PM

94 posts, read 460,332 times
I just moved to the city from a small town with a pop. of around 30k. My brother in law is a city planner and I was taken for a tour of the city with him. Most of the neighborhoods have a good/bad side. My opinion is that Buffalo is great...and I've only lived here in the winter, and have yet to explore during spring/summer. I live next to the Children's Hospital in the Elmwood village, and I work in Depew and my fiance works in Kenmore and goes to Buff. St. I decided to move here as kind of a social experiment as to whether city life or small town/suburb life was the way to go. So far I love the city!

Yes, there is crime and scary people walking around sometimes, but I have drummed that up to being around "the people". Ground zero as it were. You are introduced to poverty/plight at a greater scale living in the city. Go to the Rite Aid on Elmwood and Bryant at nightime and you will see what I'm talking about.

Regardless, I have taken it all in stride. Still, with all of the problems I love Buffalo. The people are genuinely kind, and everything from the arcitecture to the food are amazing. I don't regret living here at all.

Sorry about the rant, but to answer your question...I would spend a weekend here, and take and honest-to-goodness look at all of the neighborhoods/suburbs yourself. I don't have the link, but you can Google "Buffalo neighborhood's" you will see a map to give you an idea of where to drive around.

Best of luck, and remember to not let the nay-sayers on these posts get you down! Buffalo really is a kick-butt place to live

Old 03-13-2009, 02:52 PM

504 posts, read 1,492,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonchaser View Post
Yes, there is crime and scary people walking around sometimes, but I have drummed that up to being around "the people". Ground zero as it were. You are introduced to poverty/plight at a greater scale living in the city. Go to the Rite Aid on Elmwood and Bryant at nightime and you will see what I'm talking about.
Yeah newcomers to the city need to know: you better not pass through Rite Aid's after dark unless you're packing your nine.

LOL Sorry. I've just never thought of Rite Aid as "ground zero" for anything other than tampons and detergent, no matter what time of night it is. Doesn't that one close at like 10pm anyway?

Old 03-14-2009, 06:12 AM

414 posts, read 1,504,724 times
Quote:
You're sweeping generalizations about the real estate are exhuasting at best. I Just sold a home and made 120k profit last year. and it wasn't the first time.

Old 03-14-2009, 06:15 AM

414 posts, read 1,504,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonchaser View Post

I would hardly consider a few random drunks or peddlers as scary criminals.

Old 03-14-2009, 07:47 AM

94 posts, read 460,332 times
I didn't mean that the Rite Aid was a place where you are going to be stabbed, except that as a new person in the city you are actually exposed upfront to the vagrants you woudn't normally see. Personally, since I was from a small town, when I thought of Elmwood, I just thought of the strip. Oh yeah, it is a "ground zero" for tampons as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area