Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2009, 08:09 AM

7 posts, read 27,974 times

Advertisements

I have had Independent Health since November, since that is the ONLY insurance offered by my employer. It is TERRIBLE. It is a flexible reimbursement plan. I am constantly getting bills from IHA saying, "this wasn't covered, that wasn't eligible" etc... then I have to go back and prove that it WAS. We even had a meeting at work about the crappy policy with IHA representatives that basically shed light on the fact that yeah, it's a crappy insurance program that screws you over and you have to watch what you do or you get billed like crazy. Anyone else have the pleasure of this wonderful insurance? How do you deal with it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 04:55 PM

259 posts, read 888,624 times
It all depends on what type of policy your employer pays for. I had Independent Health from my employer for about 15 years and never had a problem. All I ever paid were Co-pays of about $20. Blame your employer.

Old 04-29-2009, 06:23 PM

5,273 posts, read 7,347,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyandScott View Post
I have had Independent Health since November, since that is the ONLY insurance offered by my employer. It is TERRIBLE. It is a flexible reimbursement plan. I am constantly getting bills from IHA saying, "this wasn't covered, that wasn't eligible" etc... then I have to go back and prove that it WAS. We even had a meeting at work about the crappy policy with IHA representatives that basically shed light on the fact that yeah, it's a crappy insurance program that screws you over and you have to watch what you do or you get billed like crazy. Anyone else have the pleasure of this wonderful insurance? How do you deal with it?

I'm with the other poster! Blame it on your wonderful employer. They opted for the plan they chose for their employees!

I had Independent Health for at least 12 years off and on of working in Buffalo *mostly hospitals I had worked at*...Never ever had a problem and always had 10.00-20.00 co-pays. I remember having surgery on my earlobe! My earring ripped through my lobe! and it was all covered. I never saw bills and had a plastic surgeon do it.

SOrry you have to deal with the problems BUT it does start with your employer unfortunately!

Old 04-29-2009, 07:33 PM

Yes I'm not suprised to read your remarks. My employer's HR director is skilled at the art of the sell...saying this is such a great plan for us. RIGHT..What we need is a union. But that won't happen any time soon enough. This is a large Health Care Facility; a new one at that; so time will tell. Thank you for your responses.

Old 04-30-2009, 05:40 PM

1,515 posts, read 3,332,299 times
The health insurance companies are really slimy. They try and not give you what you paid for in the first place (anywhere else it would be safe).
The insurance cos. know that they have a corner on the market because current laws don't allow insurance to be bought outside of your own state. Did you know that in Erie PA that you could get the same insurance as you have right now for 33% less? What we truly need is for the Federal Government to repeal these dumb laws that are designed to stop competition and protect big healthcare.

I can tell you that if we allowed people to buy the insurance that they want no one would want socialized health care because it would be so cheap that no one would want to have the poor healthcare that we have in Canada (and I would know, I lived 17 years in Canada, and healthcare there is horrendous.)

Good luck with your situation, and I too hope that we can find a way to better healthcare in this country (one that doesn't involve turning our decent system into Canada or the UK's downright horrible system)

Old 05-04-2009, 03:38 AM

Thank you Canerican. Yeah...it floors me seeing the cost of routine procedures, and what isn't covered. I am wondering what the heck I have coverage for in the first place?

Old 05-04-2009, 07:04 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,348,208 times
Quote:
Well what plan did you get!?

Old 05-05-2009, 09:46 AM

1,515 posts, read 3,332,299 times
Quote:
Thank you Canerican. Yeah...it floors me seeing the cost of routine procedures, and what isn't covered. I am wondering what the heck I have coverage for in the first place?
Hopefully so that you don't get bankrupted if you have a major procedure. However, the premiums in NY state may do that for you

I don't know if you live in the 26th district (covers Amherst and Clarence in WNY), but if you do, write Congressman Chris Lee. I was a staffer in his local office for a few months, and he actually does like to hear what people want to tell him. Don't send him a form letter though, those get pretty much ignored.

Maybe your work offers health savings plans? If you are getting denied coverage everywhere it might be a better bargain, and offers you great coverage for major procedures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area