Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 12:01 PM

231 posts, read 626,730 times

Advertisements

About me: 24/lesbian/white w/ black g/f, /liberal

I like having lots to do around town. Prefer not to drive. Hate cities where stuff closes at 8pm or earlier or where everything’s closed on Sundays.

Currently live in Orlando, FL and need to choose between Buffalo and Syracuse. (looking at either university of Syracuse or Buffalo Law schools)

Which is the better city? I'll need an apartment under $700 (up to $800 if it includes utilities). Which city has a more stable economy or where I might have a better chance at finding a clerical job ($10 or more)?

Which city do you prefer and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 08:23 AM

40 posts, read 57,795 times
A. Jacques,

Having lived in both cities, I would recommend Buffalo over Syracuse. Buffalo has a more urban, artsy and progressive vibe and has wonderful city neighborhoods such as Elmwood Village, Allentown and the West Village which offer plenty of apartment/housing options. Syracuse due to its location in the State is more insular and less progressive and does not offer the urban environment you seem to be seeking.

For example, restaurants and bars close much earlier in Syracuse than in Buffalo (many restaurants in Syracuse close by 11, often earlier, while there are many late and all-night dining options in Buffalo) and you have many more dining choice in Buffalo as well (check out Bill Rappaport's Restaurant Guide online).

In addition, you will find that Buffalo offers greater choices in terms of the arts, more touring acts & live music choices & festivals as well as an active art scene, and more well-known Galleries, film and book festivals -- all of which attract visits by national artists, literary figures and speakers (see the Babel Literary Festival, for one example).

If you're considering a future visit, be sure to check out the Elmwood Village and Allentown areas and make sure to also visit the UB Campus and Law School as it is a :15 minute drive or so from the City -- there is a subway from the Allentown area to the South (city) campus and then you take a short campus shuttle to the North Campus.

Check out craigslist.org for apartments, as well as Artvoice Buffalo for rental listings. In addition, I recommend buffalorising.com to get a sense of the city and Buffalo Spree Magazine, which has some online content.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:58 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,734,072 times
Plus we have soo much history. gorgeous waterfront. Decent zoo. Darwin Martin House and we pro sports teams. They lose but at least we got em

Old 05-06-2009, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrye View Post
A. Jacques,

Having lived in both cities, I would recommend Buffalo over Syracuse. Buffalo has a more urban, artsy and progressive vibe and has wonderful city neighborhoods such as Elmwood Village, Allentown and the West Village which offer plenty of apartment/housing options. Syracuse due to its location in the State is more insular and less progressive and does not offer the urban environment you seem to be seeking.

For example, restaurants and bars close much earlier in Syracuse than in Buffalo (many restaurants in Syracuse close by 11, often earlier, while there are many late and all-night dining options in Buffalo) and you have many more dining choice in Buffalo as well (check out Bill Rappaport's Restaurant Guide online).

In addition, you will find that Buffalo offers greater choices in terms of the arts, more touring acts & live music choices & festivals as well as an active art scene, and more well-known Galleries, film and book festivals -- all of which attract visits by national artists, literary figures and speakers (see the Babel Literary Festival, for one example).

If you're considering a future visit, be sure to check out the Elmwood Village and Allentown areas and make sure to also visit the UB Campus and Law School as it is a :15 minute drive or so from the City -- there is a subway from the Allentown area to the South (city) campus and then you take a short campus shuttle to the North Campus.

Check out craigslist.org for apartments, as well as Artvoice Buffalo for rental listings. In addition, I recommend buffalorising.com to get a sense of the city and Buffalo Spree Magazine, which has some online content.

Hope this helps.
Thanks so much for all of the advice. I've seen some pretty scary looking stuff of buffalo on youtube and when I tell friends I plan on moving there they look at me like I have a 2nd head. But from all of the info you guys have given and the fact that I can afford to live in one of the nicer apartment complexes in say the Elmwood area...I think I just about have my mind made. **fingers crossed** that I get into U @ Buffalo law.

New task: I need to figure out how soon I should start applying for jobs if I plan on moving the first week of august next year

Old 05-06-2009, 02:01 PM

40 posts, read 57,795 times
If you want to preview some less scary youtube videos, I'd stick to the Elmwood Village area as those will give you a much better idea of what the City offers.

For some other ideas on area streets/neighborhoods/architecture, try buffaloah.com, allentown.org and elmwoodvillageinn.com. Each of these sites offer various pictures of local streets, areas of interest/history and architectural shots as well as event listings which will hopefully give you a better feel for the area.

Happy Hunting, best of luck in applying to law school and if you have any additional questions or concerns, feel free to post.

Old 05-07-2009, 03:07 PM

260 posts, read 977,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajacques View Post
Thanks so much for all of the advice. I've seen some pretty scary looking stuff of buffalo on youtube and when I tell friends I plan on moving there they look at me like I have a 2nd head. But from all of the info you guys have given and the fact that I can afford to live in one of the nicer apartment complexes in say the Elmwood area...I think I just about have my mind made. **fingers crossed** that I get into U @ Buffalo law.

New task: I need to figure out how soon I should start applying for jobs if I plan on moving the first week of august next year
Good choice... Just moved here in august right on potomac ave kiddy corner to richmond. WNY is extremely diverse and is a small city with the feel of large city accomodations. Also an extremely gay friendly place.

Old 05-07-2009, 03:23 PM

93,269 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:

Dang ajacques! It's like that? That's OK though.

Old 05-08-2009, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Dang ajacques! It's like that? That's OK though.
Don't be wounded : ) I'm applying to U of Syracuse too, just in case. You know what tips the scale most towards Buffalo? - Tuitions

U @ Buff = $24,260 (out of state) 15,070 (instate)
U of Syracuse - $43,000

That means I'll be saving over $20,000 a year on tuition. $60,000 less student loan debt in the end ; )

Old 05-08-2009, 08:28 AM

1,515 posts, read 3,332,021 times
You'll fit in well at UB, it is a very Liberal school. The funding for the Black SA is $30,000, the funding for the college Democrats is $1600, I think that the gay SA is about $10,000.

The funding for the college Republicans was $600, now it is $0.

They don't even try and appease the few Conservatives anymore.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:21 PM

93,269 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Don't be wounded : ) I'm applying to U of Syracuse too, just in case. You know what tips the scale most towards Buffalo? - Tuitions

U @ Buff = $24,260 (out of state) 15,070 (instate)
U of Syracuse - $43,000

That means I'll be saving over $20,000 a year on tuition. $60,000 less student loan debt in the end ; )
I hear you....Times are hard right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area