U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Population in 2015
~270,000 18 33.33%
265,000-270,000 4 7.41%
260,000-265,000 4 7.41%
250,000-260,000 7 12.96%
240,000-250,000 2 3.70%
225,000-240,000 19 35.19%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 06:57 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,940,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canerican View Post
You still never told me which leading economists claimed that Buffalo's population would be stagnant, then grow.

What I said was that Buffalo metro would drop to between 1.1 -1.2m (the current population is estimated to be slightly over 1.2) ... then level off. If you bothered to look the link is a few posts above your most recent anti WNY propaganda

BTW, how is the search going for the all white christian anti gay urban utopia you so desperately seek?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 06:59 PM

I wouldn't consider a 2.8% drop over 9 years to be a freefall ..........

Quote:
As of 2009, Buffalo-Niagara Falls Metro Area's population is 1,128,183 people. Since 2000, it has had a population growth of -2.79 percent.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 09-29-2009 at 06:33 AM..

Old 06-26-2009, 07:01 PM

Quote:
You guys better stop encouraging people that don't like Buffalo such as myself to leave

Personally, I have absolutely no problem with Moderator cut: Personal Attacks moving south.

As I posed to you in another thread .......

Quote:
What I don't understand is why you ever moved to Buffalo? Growing up in another part of NY you had to know that Buffalo was a liberal city. You also had to know of its population decline & employment issues as they have been going on since before you were born. With your far religious right politics & anti gay anti minority views, I honestly can't think of one mid sized (or larger city) in the US where you would feel at home.
...... if you hate WNY/Buffalo so much why on earth did you ever move here ..... and more importantly, why do you stay? I lived in places I hated (Franklin, Co NY for one) & got out the first chance I could.

Last edited by bellafinzi; 06-26-2009 at 09:57 PM.. Reason: Personal Attacks

Old 06-26-2009, 07:38 PM

1,513 posts, read 2,847,673 times
Quote:
if you hate WNY/Buffalo so much why on earth did you ever move here ..... and more importantly, why do you stay?
Big mistake, and because I am going to UB.

Quote:
I wouldn't consider a 2.8% drop over 9 years to be a freefall
When the population of the US has risen by 1%, that means that the MSA should actually be considered to have dropped by 4%. At any rate, our MSA is 9th quickest in terms of population decline according to the census.

And you still haven't named a single "leading" economist yet. Were you just making stuff up?

Quote:
Personally, I have absolutely no problem with bigoted right wing religious nuts moving south.
I'm assuming that's an attack on me, but I'm not bigoted, I just don't believe in gay marriage; all of a sudden I am Nathan Bedford Forrest himself.

I have noticed a trend - I try and have a discussion about WNY, a couple of unformed people try and debate, get hung by their own petards, then resort to attacking my beliefs. Hey, I love talking about myself, but can we stick to WNY issues? Yes some issues like taxes, gay marriage, gun rights, etc, have very directly affected the mass exodus from the area, can't you have a normal conversion without calling me a bigot, racist, homophobe, or sexist?

Last edited by Canerican; 06-26-2009 at 08:23 PM..

Old 06-26-2009, 09:57 PM

9,342 posts, read 8,401,091 times
Quote:
Big mistake, and because I am going to UB.

When the population of the US has risen by 1%, that means that the MSA should actually be considered to have dropped by 4%. At any rate, our MSA is 9th quickest in terms of population decline according to the census.

And you still haven't named a single "leading" economist yet. Were you just making stuff up?

I'm assuming that's an attack on me, but I'm not bigoted, I just don't believe in gay marriage; all of a sudden I am Nathan Bedford Forrest himself.

I have noticed a trend - I try and have a discussion about WNY, a couple of unformed people try and debate, get hung by their own petards, then resort to attacking my beliefs. Hey, I love talking about myself, but can we stick to WNY issues? Yes some issues like taxes, gay marriage, gun rights, etc, have very directly affected the mass exodus from the area, can't you have a normal conversion without calling me a bigot, racist, homophobe, or sexist?

Looks to me like you are just looking for justification to leave the area. If you want to leave you don't need reassurance...

Old 06-27-2009, 09:07 AM

1,673 posts, read 3,186,802 times
I don't think the same people will be living in Buffalo for the next 30 years. If there is upcoming growth in Greater Buffalo, it will come from people who have never lived in the area before. This holds all too true with Boston which I am sure is over 60% newcomer. Many long time established residents have left our city and are not coming back, which is one reason why the Boston Public Schools are a total wreck nowadays . So it might be true that much of the old guard of Buffalo will move out but someone else is sure to move in.

I sincerely don't think Canerican hates Buffalo as much as he says he does or else he wouldn't be continuously posting in this forum. This shows a deal of pride in the city. And will people stop ganging up on him! I don't agree with everything he says but some of his points are very well thought and informative pieces and he has every right to voice his opinion just as all of us have a right as long as it is not personally directed at anyone (which he never has). The last time something like this happened in another post, needless verbal punches were thrown, the post escalated into a fight, and the moderator ended up locking the post. I didn't even have the chance to post a relevant comment because of that. Thanks a lot guys.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:42 AM

1,293 posts, read 4,185,159 times
I agree with most people here, its going to level off. And to some degree you can already see it. B4L posts building projects on a constant basis. When I grew up in Buffalo, I don't remember anything significant going on. It is hard to build without money. The stimulus may have helped some of the recent projects, but I don't follow that as much anymore.

Personally, at this present moment, I would be most concerned with the large automotive industry that Buffalo still has. At the moment it is still a necessary evil and still employs a good chunk of Buffalo. The upside is the growing biomedical field, which if most of you don't know, is growing rapidly in the area. It will take a number of years before it can really dominate the manufacturing and high tech jobs.

As for Canerican, it was like me and Raleigh. I couldn't stand it either. But the nice thing about the US, you can pack up at anytime and move somewhere else.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese9988 View Post
As for Canerican, it was like me and Raleigh. I couldn't stand it either. But the nice thing about the US, you can pack up at anytime and move somewhere else.
That is indeed very true, and one of the reasons I love the US over Canada. I Canada I lived in a couple of different cities, except for Alberta, pretty much every place is the same. In the US, you go from a city like San Francisco, to Boston, then to Lubbock, it might feel like you just went to three different countries.

Quote:
I sincerely don't think Canerican hates Buffalo as much as he says he does or else he wouldn't be continuously posting in this forum. This shows a deal of pride in the city.
Thank you. I rep'd you, but I will repeat what I said in that comment here. I don't hate Buffalo, I have never said I do (except perhaps in frustration). What I hate are some policies that are leading to it's decline. Do you guys honestly think that if I felt I had the choice that I would leave all of the friends that I have to move to a place I don't know? What angers me is that everyone here gets it but our politicians. Look at Albany, they are acting like brats for the most part. Our governor was hiring prostitutes with state funds. Our current governor admitted to smoking crack. In Buffalo it is much the same as Albany, our politicians are corrupt, and regardless of party, all they know how to do is raise our taxes.

I will be leaving the city, it is not indefinite, maybe some day we'll get a good mayor, and a good county executive that can turn the place around, until that day, I, and many others will leave.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:

As I pointed out the last time you asked the link is in post #7 of this thread. If you skimmed past it 2x's now that's not really my fault. Woods & Poole are a very respected economic projection firm.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblake78728 View Post
As I pointed out the last time you asked the link is in post #7 of this thread. If you skimmed past it 2x's now that's not really my fault. Woods & Poole are a very respected economic projection firm.
It was kind of tough to figure out what that post was about without you giving it any context (ie. a response tag), but whatever, mea culpa.

1. The article doesn't necessarily say that the population will remain stagnant, it might mean that, but without viewing the entire report, it is impossible to say.

2. I assumed that when you said many leading economists, you meant more than one firm.

3. Woods and Poole is actually a very tiny firm. I had never heard of them, despite my reading the Economist for the past 2.5 years (you generally get an idea of the major economics firms reading that magazine). I honestly don't think that you could consider them "leading" by most metrics, but who knows, I'm sure that some considering them a leading firm at something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area