U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Population in 2015
~270,000 18 33.33%
265,000-270,000 4 7.41%
260,000-265,000 4 7.41%
250,000-260,000 7 12.96%
240,000-250,000 2 3.70%
225,000-240,000 19 35.19%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-27-2009, 12:04 PM
 
Location: Hamburg, NY
1,350 posts, read 2,952,276 times
Reputation: 1013

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canerican View Post
That is indeed very true, and one of the reasons I love the US over Canada. I Canada I lived in a couple of different cities, except for Alberta, pretty much every place is the same. In the US, you go from a city like San Francisco, to Boston, then to Lubbock, it might feel like you just went to three different countries.

This is very true though Boston & SF do have many similarities within the politics of the citizens that Lubbock doesn't share. One thing though is that the majority of US cities with over 150K are typically liberal leaning. We can debate all day why that is but the fact of the matter is that someone with your political views is never going to be happy in an area that doesn't govern with someone like you in mind (and I can totally understand that). Take it for what its worth but in all honesty the only metro area's where I can see someone with your views being truly happy would be Salt Lake City or one of the smaller to mid sized cities in the south (Charleston, Richmond) or central/midwest/Texas (Tulsa, Lubbock, Amarillo). Most of the major metro areas in the south have a growing northeastern and/or upper midwest liberal presence that when combined with the minority population that is already on the liberal side of the fence (and rapidly growing) makes for a changing political landscape in the not too distant future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-27-2009, 02:36 PM
 
Location: EL Paso
185 posts, read 345,187 times
Reputation: 97
i think the population more or less will remain the same
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2009, 08:19 PM
 
1,513 posts, read 2,855,313 times
Reputation: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Who are you talking about?
Me, obviously.

For someone he wants everyone to ignore, he talks about me a lot.

Guys, I think that part of what makes this forum great is the disagreements, if we all agreed it would be pretty boring. I'll keep saying what I think needs to be done in Buffalo to improve the city. If you disagree, that is A-OK, some of you all have made some great points on certain subjects, which have changed my point of view. I am pretty open-minded, I listen to each argument, some are valid, some aren't. Some might be, but aren't applicable to me because my worldview might be so different.

I am not like a very small number of posters here in that I actually want to hear the side and won't simply insult people that I disagree with. I enjoy debating, talking, agreeing, disagreeing. I have learned alot, hope you have learned some.

So in all honesty ignore mikesuicide when he says that I need to be ignored, if you disagree, refute the points, don't just tell others that I need to be ostracized, that is the credo of a mentally weak person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2009, 09:35 PM
 
Location: BUFFALO, NY
1,576 posts, read 4,714,386 times
Reputation: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canerican View Post
Me, obviously.

For someone he wants everyone to ignore, he talks about me a lot.

Guys, I think that part of what makes this forum great is the disagreements, if we all agreed it would be pretty boring. I'll keep saying what I think needs to be done in Buffalo to improve the city. If you disagree, that is A-OK, some of you all have made some great points on certain subjects, which have changed my point of view. I am pretty open-minded, I listen to each argument, some are valid, some aren't. Some might be, but aren't applicable to me because my worldview might be so different.

I am not like a very small number of posters here in that I actually want to hear the side and won't simply insult people that I disagree with. I enjoy debating, talking, agreeing, disagreeing. I have learned alot, hope you have learned some.

So in all honesty ignore mikesuicide when he says that I need to be ignored, if you disagree, refute the points, don't just tell others that I need to be ostracized, that is the credo of a mentally weak person.
Well true, but constantly encouraging others to stay away from Buffalo for reasons applicable to yourself only isn't really being a fair poster. You are entitled to your opinion, but your constant pessimism and bashing isn't helping this site prosper very much. I don't care what city it is, but to put your user status, etc to make sure you keep people away from a certain city is absolutely absurd. Not to mention you say you have ideas to improve the city... Well how in the world is the city going to improve if you're constantly bashing it and telling others to leave!!!???

Personally, I agree with a few of your points, and agree you make good arguments. Ideas are always welcome. I think instead of bashing the city, just label some issues and post some ways that can improve Buff. Everyone isn't like you, people actually like this city for good reasons, while you have either failed to unearth it, or it just isn't for you. Just my two cents...I hope you read this post and will think twice about bashing the beloved city that some many enjoy to live in. What's holding this city back is the constant pessimism and lack of pride in the region. While this trend is slowly reversing, there are people like you who list ways of how "things need to be done to improve the city," but you constantly bash Buffalo and you wonder why it's not improving!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2009, 06:49 AM
 
1,513 posts, read 2,855,313 times
Reputation: 447
Look at a few posts, here I tell the poster it makes sense to move from high tax area (Canada), to a lower tax area (Buffalo), then tell him workers are available. I was completely honest and realistic with him:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/9469748-post4.html

I tell a poster the advantages of a bigger city like Buffalo:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/9404822-post14.html

Talk about Buffalo's good suburbs:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/9401836-post7.html

Those were just the threads I picked more or less at random.
---

The truth is if you go through my posts, when people ask for advice I give it. If they say I am look for a good area to raise a family, is Broadway Market the right area for me, I say no, but look at the suburbs.

In all honesty I think that you guy's view has been very colored, yes I post some negative things about Buffalo, but when it comes down to it I give people a full view of Buffalo. There are things I wish I had known before moving here, that's why I say them.

I am sorry that you all think that I am here just to bash Buffalo, but if you honestly go back and look at my posts, you will see that a) most aren't even negative, b) those that are negative propose solutions.

One final thing, I have said many many times that Buffalo is for some, but it just doesn't work for me.

---

This is actually a good thing, I won't start saying I love Buffalo, but I'll try and be more diplomatic in those threads where people ask if they should move here (which BTW, I have told many people that, yes, they should)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2009, 09:23 AM
 
Location: Boston, MA
1,684 posts, read 3,207,648 times
Reputation: 1570
I have to agree with Canerican on a few of his last points. Different and diverse opinions really make a post lively, which is why I like to visit the Buffalo forum so many times (also because I really like and respect the City of Buffalo).

I post frequently on the Boston forum too but the problem with the Boston forum is that 8 out of 10 OPs are simply asking for help looking for an apartment in the same places over and over again. It gets to be a drag after telling a hundred persons how to find a $1200 apartment in the Fenway. I really don't think those people deeply care about our city; in fact they probably don't even know enough about Boston to comment about it. Boston nowadays has all the transients and migrants, mostly young people attending school or older rich people landing a lucrative top executive position and then retiring in a few years. It is having a hard time attracting people who really want to settle down and raise a family.

It is here in the Buffalo forum that I frequently see debates over how the city ought to progress. It seems that you Buffalonians have very strong pride in your city even if a few question its sustainability. So what if a few people continuously mention only the bad things about a city. Those who did proper research will probably ignore them anyway. Still, some of those bad points are valid points that do need to be addressed eventually. I could go on criticizing the low test scores, the lack of community involvement, and the run down infrastructure of the Boston Public Schools and advise people to avoid them entirely and the mayor of Boston could come swiftly to their defense saying things are not that bad. It is then up to you to decide whether to believe someone who worked in the schools or someone in higher authority who is in charge of the schools. You get my point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2009, 11:18 AM
 
Location: BUFFALO, NY
1,576 posts, read 4,714,386 times
Reputation: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canerican View Post
Look at a few posts, here I tell the poster it makes sense to move from high tax area (Canada), to a lower tax area (Buffalo), then tell him workers are available. I was completely honest and realistic with him:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/9469748-post4.html

I tell a poster the advantages of a bigger city like Buffalo:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/9404822-post14.html

Talk about Buffalo's good suburbs:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/9401836-post7.html

Those were just the threads I picked more or less at random.
---

The truth is if you go through my posts, when people ask for advice I give it. If they say I am look for a good area to raise a family, is Broadway Market the right area for me, I say no, but look at the suburbs.

In all honesty I think that you guy's view has been very colored, yes I post some negative things about Buffalo, but when it comes down to it I give people a full view of Buffalo. There are things I wish I had known before moving here, that's why I say them.

I am sorry that you all think that I am here just to bash Buffalo, but if you honestly go back and look at my posts, you will see that a) most aren't even negative, b) those that are negative propose solutions.

One final thing, I have said many many times that Buffalo is for some, but it just doesn't work for me.

---

This is actually a good thing, I won't start saying I love Buffalo, but I'll try and be more diplomatic in those threads where people ask if they should move here (which BTW, I have told many people that, yes, they should)
And that's just it. To me at least, it seems you say one thing and then the other. I've been trying to figure you out, and haven't until today I suppose. The thing that got me the most (and I do agree with many of your posts, but others are just plain ignoratant ), was that you set your status as "Stay away from Buffalo!" and your signature below your user name wasn't very respectful to many who love this area and are trying to promote it. I see you have changed it now, so I commend you for that. The only problem is not that you list the issues of what Buffalo lacks, it's that you on occasion make up silly facts that detract from what Buffalo DOES have. I try to boost Buff's rep as much as I can while recognizing the problems and ways to improve it. Your not a terrible user, but some of your facts and acts are just a little wacked. Haha, anyway just thought I'd drop another comment by, I know I'm probably not helping, but at least your read my comments...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2009, 02:51 PM
 
1,513 posts, read 2,855,313 times
Reputation: 447
When have I ever made up facts? If I need to make up facts to prove a point, I just don't comment.

Give me one instance of when I made up anything about the city. This is what gets me mad, people throw accusations my way, don't substantiate them, then call me wrong for having the gaul to defend myself...

If I ever get called on something being wrong I will either correct myself or apologize... You make it sound like I am making up things off the top of my head in order to hurt Buffalo, which isn't true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2009, 05:32 PM
 
Location: BUFFALO, NY
1,576 posts, read 4,714,386 times
Reputation: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canerican View Post
You make it sound like I am making up things off the top of my head in order to hurt Buffalo, which isn't true.
Not true, eh? Well, I really don't have the time or will to search through random forums and seek them out, which is why I meant I didn't mean you do it all the time, but it seems you make up these random facts for the bad not the good. Really, I don't mean to attack you, just listing an observation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2009, 05:59 PM
 
Location: Hamburg, NY
1,350 posts, read 2,952,276 times
Reputation: 1013
I think he sometimes goes out of his way to try to knock Buffalo by posting statements that may be true but otherwise have nothing to do with the OP. I also think he has some racist tendencies, in one thread he tries to blame gun violence on blacks, in another he basically says not to hire minorities because its too hard to fire them in NY. I just don't have patience for racists or racist stereotypes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top