U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Population in 2015
~270,000 18 33.33%
265,000-270,000 4 7.41%
260,000-265,000 4 7.41%
250,000-260,000 7 12.96%
240,000-250,000 2 3.70%
225,000-240,000 19 35.19%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-29-2009, 06:58 AM
 
1,513 posts, read 2,817,788 times
Reputation: 447

Advertisements

Pointing out that blacks commit far more crimes per capita than Whites is racist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-29-2009, 07:58 AM
 
Location: Hamburg, NY
1,350 posts, read 2,902,086 times
Reputation: 1013
The way you point it out it is, you make it seem like blacks are the root of all this countries gun problems.

How many black serial killers, mass murders, school shooters has this country produced? Most of the gun related deaths committed by blacks is connected to gang violence. Gang's are a product of the ghetto's & the ghetto's are a product of the white race limiting opportunities of the black race since our nations inception. I'm much more afraid of a radical religious right wing nut with an arsenal in his house than a young black male from the hood with a .45.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2009, 08:57 AM
 
1,513 posts, read 2,817,788 times
Reputation: 447
You shouldn't be, because a White person has 7x greater chance of being killed by a black person, than a black person by a White person.

I would never says that blacks are the root of a gun problem, what I said was that if you compare a majority White county in say, South Carolina, to a very Black area in New York (where gun control is very tight), the Black area will almost always have a higher crime rate, despite the access to guns supposedly being cut down. Therefore it is reasonable to tie gun crimes to race, rather than more lenient gun laws, since most very black states happen to have lenient gun laws.

Look at three of the states with the most Libertarian gun laws, Iowa (2.9% black), South Dakota (0.6% black), and New Hampshire (0.7% black). They all allow very unrestricted access, yet have very low gun crime rates. A lot of guns, yet few gun crimes... I wonder why.

Now look at some states that restrict firearms, but have high gun crime rates, District of Columbia (60.3%), Illinois (15.0%), Maryland (27.1%). You starting to see a trend?

DC: 31.2 gun deaths per 100,000
Illinois: 9.1 gun deaths per 100,000
Maryland: 11.5 gun deaths per 100,000

Iowa: 6.7 gun deaths per 100,000
South Dakota: 7.9 gun deaths per 100,000
New Hampshire: 5.1 gun deaths per 100,000

------

Again, pointing out statistics (which you can Google and find very readily), is not tantamount to racism.

I honestly believe that we need to do something to cut down Black crime, because it is a sad pandemic in America, I think that a good start would be to stop Affirmative Action and welfare, which tend to cause senses of entitlement. In the end the strongest correlation of gun crime isn't race, or state, it is income, and if the person has a job or not. You end welfare, you force people to actually work for their money, keep them busy, and less likely to kill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2009, 09:18 AM
 
Location: Boston, MA
1,605 posts, read 3,101,886 times
Reputation: 1487
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblake78728 View Post
The way you point it out it is, you make it seem like blacks are the root of all this countries gun problems.

How many black serial killers, mass murders, school shooters has this country produced? Most of the gun related deaths committed by blacks is connected to gang violence. Gang's are a product of the ghetto's & the ghetto's are a product of the white race limiting opportunities of the black race since our nations inception. I'm much more afraid of a radical religious right wing nut with an arsenal in his house than a young black male from the hood with a .45.
I'd be equally afraid of both. One because he is so full of hatred for others that he is willing harm innocents that he deems unworthy of living in his realm, the other because he is so full of shame for himself and others like him that he sees no remorse in harming innocents. Strangely, both groups tend to be people without much outreach and by being isolated, they turn to desperation and hatred.

I can see some of Canerican's points. They ultimately point out to the longtime struggle of the haves and have nots. Back in the 60's and 70's, many of the haves (mostly Whites but a few Blacks and other minorities as well) fled the inner city to the suburbs where they developed safe and pleasant neighborhoods with good schools and amenities. The have nots (mostly Blacks and other minorities) got stuck in the inner city, were practically abandoned by the city government, and many drifted into a life of crime, not so much as to earn a living but rather to make a startling point to the rest that they have power. Terrorizing your neighbors is power. Dealing illegal narcotics is power. Gunning down someone dressed in the wrong color is power. Mugging an out of towner is power. It is true that some powerful rich suburbanites run the show (Where would you find kids snorting cocaine, in a wealthy suburban high school or an inner city high school? Cocaline is expensive after all), but the ones who most often take the blame are the poor inner city middlemen.

Now you ask what has this got to do with people who don't live in the inner city? Well, for the most part they have a right to fear that the crime and violence will spread to their neighborhoods. Also, crime and violence contribute to poor education results which put a bad light on districts overall. Thirdly, hard working families are forced to pay taxpayer money on programs and services that they either don't share in or that they are skeptical will work. I'd gnash my teeth too when I find out my taxes have been spent on another family buying a boombox or an Ipod when the money was supposed to have been spent on revitalizing a neighborhood.
I don't see these as really racist points though. I know many an African American, especially ones that live in the suburbs or safer neighborhoods, that would have made the same points and feel just as angry and betrayed by the government.

Also recall that Canerican has lived in Canada, a place that prides itself on social welfare. Yet I knew several Canadians over the border that complain about having to spend money on someone else. Many are sick of the system but have no place else to go because the whole country does it, not just individual provinces. That also partly explains why Buffalo's taxes are so high, they are high for us Americans but low for the Canadians so that they are all the more willing to shop at the Walden Galleria when they have the chance to. That also explains the OP's original post and argument that Buffalo is losing population. It just so happens that there are other places in the country with more jobs, lower taxes, and warmer weather that Canada doesn't have, that continue to attract people from up here. Now all we have to do is quit arguing amongst ourselves, encourage new people to move to Buffalo in this message board, properly explain the problems in the area, and help revive the city. Isn't that what we have been doing all along?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2009, 09:32 AM
 
1,513 posts, read 2,817,788 times
Reputation: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Now all we have to do is quit arguing amongst ourselves, encourage new people to move to Buffalo in this message board, properly explain the problems in the area, and help revive the city. Isn't that what we have been doing all along?
Another great post!

And that is what those of us who want Buffalo to improve are doing. We shouldn't tell people only about the good, and ignore the bad like it isn't there. We need people who actually will like the culture here to move here. If I would have known about a few things, I wouldn't have come here, and I might be happier somewhere else... at least I wouldn't have felt misled. I was told that Buffalo was a very affordable place to live... but no one told me about all the taxes and fees (now that was obviously a lack of due diligence on my part).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2009, 11:02 AM
 
Location: Hamburg, NY
1,350 posts, read 2,902,086 times
Reputation: 1013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canerican View Post
I honestly believe that we need to do something to cut down Black crime, because it is a sad pandemic in America, I think that a good start would be to stop Affirmative Action and welfare, which tend to cause senses of entitlement. In the end the strongest correlation of gun crime isn't race, or state, it is income, and if the person has a job or not. You end welfare, you force people to actually work for their money, keep them busy, and less likely to kill.

You honestly believe eliminating welfare is going to reduce the crime rate?



Quote:
Originally Posted by Canerican View Post
You shouldn't be, because a White person has 7x greater chance of being killed by a black person, than a black person by a White person.
Here you go again, twisting & distorting facts to make them fit your argument. This has nothing to do with anything I said. My claim was "I'm much more afraid of a radical religious right wing nut with an arsenal in his house than a young black male from the hood with a .45". The fact of the matter is that 86% of white victims have been killed by whites (per the United States Department of Justice) .........

Quote:
From 1976 to 2005 --

* 86% of white victims were killed by whites
* 94% of black victims were killed by blacks

The rest of your post is little more than regurgitated racist religious right rhetoric & talking points that can be heard at any Klan or Skinhead meeting. You twisted the data to suit your argument ........ now let me show you how easy it is to twist it back .........


Did you know ......

The predominantly white state of New Hampshire has more gun deaths per 100k than than the urbanized melting pots of NY, NJ, Massachusetts & Connecticut?

South Dakota has more than Ohio.

Kentucky & Montana have more than PA or Michigan.

VPC - State Firearm Death Rates, Ranked by Rate, 2006







You keep beating up NY (and "gun control" states) about gun deaths but NY is ranked 46th in the nation. I'm not sure where you get your figures or info but either they are completely false or outdated because what you claim just doesn't match the facts.

Quote:
Conversely, states with strong gun laws and low
rates of gun ownership had far lower rates of firearm-related deaths, the study found. Last in the nation was Hawaii, followed by Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut and New York. Each of those states has significantly lower gun ownership and single-digit gun deaths per 100,000 residents.
State of violence: Alabama ranks second in gun deaths per capita | montgomeryadvertiser.com | Montgomery Advertiser
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2009, 02:13 PM
 
1,513 posts, read 2,817,788 times
Reputation: 447
Quote:
State of violence: Alabama ranks second in gun deaths per capita
Surprise, surprise, a state largely composed of the biggest racial demographic of gun killers (Blacks), has high gun crime rates...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblake78728 View Post
You honestly believe eliminating welfare is going to reduce the crime rate?
Yes I do, and so do many more. In fact, if you gave the argument even a little more than a cursory glance, you would quickly see that less welfare would clearly reduce crime. Again, the statistics speak for themselves:

Quote:
Recently, the Maryland State Conference of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People released a report concluding that "the ready access to a lifetime of welfare and free social service programs is a major contributory factor to the crime problems we face today."(56) Again, that is confirmed by research. For example, Hill and O'Neill's research for the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services showed that a 50 percent increase in the monthly value of combined AFDC and food stamp benefits led to a 117 percent increase in the crime rate among young black men
When the NAACP is saying that welfare to black people is keeping them down, maybe it's time to listen.

Ending Welfare As We Know It
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2009, 02:44 PM
 
Location: EL Paso
185 posts, read 339,624 times
Reputation: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canerican View Post
Surprise, surprise, a state largely composed of the biggest racial demographic of gun killers (Blacks), has high gun crime rates...



Yes I do, and so do many more. In fact, if you gave the argument even a little more than a cursory glance, you would quickly see that less welfare would clearly reduce crime. Again, the statistics speak for themselves:



When the NAACP is saying that welfare to black people is keeping them down, maybe it's time to listen.

Ending Welfare As We Know It
like you actually care about the NAACP what has to say
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2009, 03:45 PM
 
1,513 posts, read 2,817,788 times
Reputation: 447
Quote:
like you actually care about the NAACP what has to say
Thanks for the enlightened response.

I find race-based groups like the NAACP repulsive. I would never join a group open to White people only, I think that that is the epitome of racism, but for once I agree with the NAACP, and they are right, more welfare does indeed create more crime, in every community, not just the black community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2009, 04:26 PM
 
Location: Hamburg, NY
1,350 posts, read 2,902,086 times
Reputation: 1013
Like I said, you're full of RW bullet points, not much else. No one in their right mind truly believes that we can lower the crime rate by eliminating welfare. I still can't figure you RWers out, you're all about life until the child is born then you wash your hands of the problem you created. It's ok to fight senseless wars around the globe but not ok to help our own nations poor ...... what a platform!

I'm still waiting to hear how gay marriage is going to have a negative impact on straight people & traditional marriages? One of these day's maybe you'll quit listening to Rush & Fox News .........

The fact that you have "Anyone but Obama" 2012" as your status after less than half a year in office clearly indicates that you're really no different (or open minded) than the rest of the religious right. I'm sure you never once complained about the 8 years of GOP neocon rule by fear & religion we just got past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top