U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-06-2009, 08:53 PM

231 posts, read 392,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonetoelpaso View Post
yes, which the question needs to be asked, why did they build a home in that area in the 1st place
hmmmmm I wonder the same thing when people buy very expensive houses on the beach down here knowing that one bad huricane season will take their house and them with it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 09:33 PM

5 posts, read 26,925 times
Unhappy Look what I found.......

A map of the "reported/known" sinking homes. Now I'm even more nervous about buying in that area (though this is the area everyone tells me has the best schools - which is very important to me)
Attached Thumbnails
Sinking Homes/Amherst/Clarence/Getzville-amherst-sinking-homes-map.jpg  

Old 07-07-2009, 10:00 AM

601 posts, read 1,261,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucka33 View Post
A map of the "reported/known" sinking homes. Now I'm even more nervous about buying in that area (though this is the area everyone tells me has the best schools - which is very important to me)
The Map shows just what I said earlier, if you stay to the south of the Escarpment, (which more or less runs along Main St.), you're on higher ground and in the clear, and a good portion of that area is in the Williamsville district.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:00 PM

1,049 posts, read 2,544,135 times
Really guys, a good inspection and information on the particular neighborhood will tell you a lot. I live in that area and have no problems at all. Yes there are some homes, but the MASSIVE MAJORITY have nothing wrong with them. The area is still in high demand and yes the schooling is great, taxes are high, but you get what you pay for.

I missed you all while I was on vacation!!!!!!! glad to be back at least for the next week ......

Old 12-03-2009, 08:45 PM

1 posts, read 8,826 times
My cousin bought a "sinking" house in Getzville (Amherst) NY. The realtor never mentioned any problems with the house (never trust a realtor). After 1 yr in the house the foundation cracked, windows & doors jammed, a 3/4" crack traveled from the baseboard up to the ceiling. He couldn't sell it and it would've been so expensive to fix, he let it go to the bank.
Most of the homes that are sinking have been built in the 2000's. They're the "newer" homes. If anyone plans on buying a newer home in Amherst, I would make sure none of the windows or doors jam (indication of a shifting foundation) and put a marble on the floor, if it rolls .... there's a problem. I would also strongly recommend hiring a licensed inspector. If you really want to be careful I'm sure you can go to town hall and maybe someone there can direct you where to look for info regarding land or geographics of the development. What had happened was that "garbage" land (swamp land) was sold to developers at a cheap price, they (the developers) filled in the land with hard fill (concrete pieces) and sand. Well, over time that hard fill shifts, settles, and sinks hence the building problems. Same thing is happening to the Galleria mall. It was build on a swamp and filled in with sand & hard fill. My father was offered the job for the concrete but didn't take it b/c he knew in time everything was going to sink/shift and crack and didn't want to be held responsible to replace (and take a huge loss) the damaged concrete. Next time you go to the mall, check out the cracks on the floor tiles and the columns.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:36 PM

414 posts, read 996,417 times
Most of the homes effected are north of Sheridan Dr between Transit and N. Forest

Old 12-03-2009, 09:38 PM

414 posts, read 996,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritacatl View Post
Most of the homes that are sinking have been built in the 2000's. They're the "newer" homes. .
Be careful, its way more then that, Ive seen plenty built in the 70's

Old 12-29-2012, 05:21 PM

404 posts, read 292,857 times
Ive been though numerous (dozens) of homes in amherst and getzville and i swear that EVERY SINGLE ONE in getzville has multiple cracks from floor to ceiling in the basement, that have been repaired with some rubbery substance and a cut in the floor (who knows how wide the crack is right?). STAY OUT OF GETZVILLE, its ground zero as far as sinking homes in amherst.

Old 01-01-2013, 02:40 AM

3,977 posts, read 5,710,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucka33 View Post
Ok, so then you outside of the area bordered by the map. And get a map of wetlands and floodplains from either the county or the town building dept. where you are looking. Go across Transit into Clarence. Go out Main to Goodrich and turn left. As you drive north, you will see part of what is the closest section of escarpment -- it is a darn big hill. Take note where they put the really expensive homes - it is still on both sides. Lots of places have good homes. [The "sinkers" from the 1970s/80s -- your map-- are in Amherst swamps. Avoid them.]

Last edited by BuffaloTransplant; 01-01-2013 at 02:50 AM..

Old 01-01-2013, 10:51 AM

404 posts, read 292,857 times
As much as I love this area, as great as it is, and as beautiful the houses are (and also numerous) in my search, every single house ive went though has issue to some extent, and who knows if the owners shaved the doors upstairs to mask the extent of the settling. Why even risk it? You are risking literally going broke, its a massive risk....Ive seen houses in this area that would be worth $175000 sell for $50,000....there is also the contagion effect because lately it seems the prices are pretty low throughout the getzville and north amherst area compared to say, the same place in Orchard Park. If you want to risk ending up with a $200,000 mortgage and $70,000 in repairs to what is now worth under $100,000 and wipe your equity out, its your choice. I truely feel sorry for homeowners in this area because even if its not cracked now, if the one a few doors down is...you're next, and crack after crack will keep happening, you cant stop the earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area