Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 09:21 AM

6 posts, read 57,016 times

Advertisements

Ok, I have searched this forum and everyone on the Internet for information about the "sinking home" areas of Amherst..ect. No one can seem to really give solid answers on the areas affected. I know Ransom Oaks and The Pines subdivisions in Amherst are 2 main areas but according to the Army Corps of engineers there are "1000's more". Does anyone know about the Garden Hill subdivision area in Clarence (below main and to the right of Harris Hill on a map)?

It is really hard for new people to move to this area (Amherst/Clarence/Getzville) and feel safe buying a good home. Everywhere I turn people are warning me about the areas but not giving me definitive information about which part......I know a lot of you living in these areas are going to say it is only a few house/certain areas etc but some help on what those areas are would be nice.

Can ANYONE PLEEEEASE help with some info. I like the area and need to purchase a home this month. Thanks everyone for your help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 03:39 PM

1,859 posts, read 3,408,112 times
The little I know about this situation is what I've been told by my aunt, and she lives in E. Amherst (per the address), off the Millersport Highway. Her townhouse was built in the early 70's, and while she hasn't had a problem at her place (been living there since '82), and none of her townhouse neighbors have had issues, yet directly across the street from her is a newer townhouse development (2000?) which has had major problems with sinking/cracked foundations, etc., to the point where a lot of folks have taken a bath on the devaluation on their properties. Their properties are roughly 500-1500 feet from hers. This in an area off Smith Rd. and the Millersport Highway, WEST of Transit Rd., EAST of the Millersport Highway. It was vacant land for years, adjacent to a small recreation area which is for the folks who live in the 4 developments, there.

I'd imagine this is due to the sandy soil, some of the streams in the area, and the "lay of the land", as some of these are low-lying areas which may be on flood plains. She had a flood at her place several years back, so, take this into consideration, as well. The Corps probably has info. on the area regarding the water table, etc. I know the stream which goes under the bridge on Dodge overflows its banks every few years, which is not a good sign

Hope this helps. Despite this, if you're in the market for a house in the 'burbs in Buffalo, you'll find plenty within an average range that are solidly built ones without the issues you describe. Amherst and Clarence are nice areas, in fact, I know folks from outside that area and even the country whom have commented on how nice it is. I'd ask around. The better realtors should know.

Old 07-05-2009, 11:41 AM

6 posts, read 57,016 times
Thanks!! So few locals are willing to comment/respond to this question (I guess everyone has a friend/relative etc with a vested interest in the property values of the area).

Old 07-05-2009, 09:49 PM

602 posts, read 2,025,229 times
In the case of Amherst and Clarence, try to find somewhere on the southern end of town, above the escarpment if you can, as its higher ground. That area you mention near Main and Harris Hill is above the escarpment so that may be a good place.

Old 07-05-2009, 10:43 PM

185 posts, read 415,947 times
I saw a nice home near N.French and it was a 4BDRM I think around 2100sqft it was being sold for 105K I called up the real estate agent, and I asked what the deal was according to her a bunch of the homes in that surrounding area were sinking from the said sinkholes

Old 07-05-2009, 10:50 PM

161 posts, read 700,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucka33 View Post
Ok, I have searched this forum and everyone on the Internet for information about the "sinking home" areas of Amherst..ect. No one can seem to really give solid answers on the areas affected. I know Ransom Oaks and The Pines subdivisions in Amherst are 2 main areas but according to the Army Corps of engineers there are "1000's more". Does anyone know about the Garden Hill subdivision area in Clarence (below main and to the right of Harris Hill on a map)?

It is really hard for new people to move to this area (Amherst/Clarence/Getzville) and feel safe buying a good home. Everywhere I turn people are warning me about the areas but not giving me definitive information about which part......I know a lot of you living in these areas are going to say it is only a few house/certain areas etc but some help on what those areas are would be nice.

Can ANYONE PLEEEEASE help with some info. I like the area and need to purchase a home this month. Thanks everyone for your help!!
It's kind of a crapshoot. I know I was furious with our realtor when I found out that this was a widely known problem, and that some of the homes in my neighborhood had been greatly affected. I would like to have been told before we bought our house!

That said, worrying about it and trying to avoid all houses in certain areas could make you crazy. I would think that the homes that are going to sink, will have done so by now. Just make sure you have a good inspector who knows what to look for -- tell him/her your concerns and make sure they give the basement and foundation a good onceover.

Good luck!

Old 07-06-2009, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonetoelpaso View Post
I saw a nice home near N.French and it was a 4BDRM I think around 2100sqft it was being sold for 105K I called up the real estate agent, and I asked what the deal was according to her a bunch of the homes in that surrounding area were sinking from the said sinkholes
Thats because its nothing but swamp up that way

Old 07-06-2009, 11:39 AM

185 posts, read 415,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truemuck View Post
Thats because its nothing but swamp up that way
yes, which the question needs to be asked, why did they build a home in that area in the 1st place

Old 07-06-2009, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonetoelpaso View Post
yes, which the question needs to be asked, why did they build a home in that area in the 1st place
Because people are stupid and don't do their research and developers are more than willing to profit from it.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:21 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,768,208 times
E. Amherst was a swamp and never should have been built. Watch out for the areas with the pretty little quarries -- amny water filled or the areas where detention ponds are huge blights on a subdivision.... it spells low land. Ask a realtor if the house is in a flood plain. if it is, forget the place. Look for houses higher up on any road and go to the building inspector's office in the town and ask to see the flood map; sometimes the assessor has it.

Doing your homework counts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area