Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 07:00 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,403,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Town&Country View Post
Losing the Erie Canal had a lot to do with it... back then everything went through Buffalo.
The decline of the Erie Canal happened with the rise of the railroads after the Civil War. The Glory Days of Buffalo was yet to happen; and it did, as it approached the Turn of the Century; and celebrated itself with the Pan American Exposition of 1901.

The Canal or series of Canal that added to the decline, as a port, was the completion of the St. Lawrence Seaway in the late 1950s. I remember seeing the Queen of England when she arrived for the celebration.

The real decline of Buffalo can be attributed to the Feudal Kingdom of New York State. New York City, the most powerful city on earth, treated all the other regions of New York as Vassal underlings. It allowed the decay.

No other state has such discrepancy of population differences of a huge powerful big city with other cities of a state that have such little population. All the big States of California, Texas and Florida have multiple large cities in different regions. New York States only has the NYC metro area. Come on Buffalo the second largest city with 278,000 and NYC with 9,000,000, not the mention the huge massive suburbs of NYC---something is really wrong in New York. The money flowed into NYC; the influence was in NYC; the voting population majority was in NYC. It is still a very big problem but how do you oppose your Lords and Masters, if you only can think about your gridiron circus.

Livecontent

Old 07-21-2009, 07:07 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,368,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Yes, some of what you mentioned are real positives---produce, wine---the fertile land and the agriculture. That is what makes Western New York shine and deserves bragging rights. However, it is not said enough and loudly.

You can find football, wings, skiing and winter sports anywhere but the fruits and vegetables of New York are one of the best. The small historic towns of Western New York are a real treasure.

Livecontent
Fertile land and the most excellent apples, cherries, wine are ONE of the things that makes WNY shine... skiing and winter activities you can't find just anywhere, not in Florida. They are served back home with a special taste... wings, try to find good ones outside of the Buff... its a challenge. Football... where else can you find Buffalo Bills football other than Buffalo? There are only 32 teams and we are lucky to have one... thank you Ralph!

I like the small historic towns because I like the old stuff... antiques, history, bandstands, etc... I'm with you there alright!

Old 07-21-2009, 07:17 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,403,299 times
Quote:
Fertile land and the most excellent apples, cherries, wine are ONE of the things that makes WNY shine... skiing and winter activities you can't find just anywhere, not in Florida. They are served back home with a special taste... wings, try to find good ones outside of the Buff... its a challenge. Football... where else can you find Buffalo Bills football other than Buffalo? There are only 32 teams and we are lucky to have one... thank you Ralph!

I like the small historic towns because I like the old stuff... antiques, history, bandstands, etc... I'm with you there alright!
You are making me cry with envy. I say this: the real draw of population will happen to WNY because of the fertile land and the small communities. People will go back to agriculture as a career and Western and Central New York will attract the best and the brightest. After all it has one of the finest agricultural schools at Cornell. Yes the glory days will come again, but it will come from the land and people who minister the bounty. If I was younger and healthier I would return to these areas of New York. It is too late for me but if you are one of the fortunate youth of New York--stay and look to the land.

Livecontent

Old 07-21-2009, 08:12 PM

2,972 posts, read 8,214,396 times
Quote:
Yes I would Sabres fan.... you talk taxes and I talk people. All you are talking about is taxes which is Not what this thread is about. Its about the people, the city... the bonding and rituals of the last 50 years.
Which all fits together with the amount of taxes the people of Erie County are forced to pay for entertainment.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FedupWNY View Post
Which all fits together with the amount of taxes the people of Erie County are forced to pay for entertainment.
Well, you're a self proclaimed Sabres fan so why complain, that makes no sense... why not post what you would think would happen to the Buff should the Bills ever leave.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
I consider this attitude as the problem with Buffalo. The inability of people to see and deal with the real problems. Extreme exaggerations of the positive of the area, and ignoring the deficiencies. Thinking that a ball game is the epicenter of a culture and a city. The real people who can make a difference in Buffalo--leave in disgust, and others creative people do not move to the area. Too many people are left wear blinders, and chant magic words of "Go B...." and think that is the answer. They are praying to false gods and living a dream that has caused a nightmare for the whole region.

It will never get better until the game leaves for richer victims and hopefully these fanatics will follow---and then the real story of Western New York will continue.

Livecontent
Thank you again livecontent for your way of words, and insight of what's really happening in Erie County.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Not really the epicenter but it goes hand in hand with positive things people associate the Buffalo "area" with: Buffalo Bills, Niagara Falls, Wings!!, Sabres, great people for the most part, great wine and produce, excellent skiing and winter sport activity... most people I know are happy to live there and why not...
Unfortunately the largest population loss we've had in the pass 20 years is reasons of the amount of taxes being put on the people of Erie County. There are a lot of positives I concider, none are sports teams making money off the people/patrons/fans (at their own free will) as well as getting millions from the taxpayers who are forced to subsidize the places for them to play in.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FedupWNY View Post
Unfortunately the largest population loss we've had in the pass 20 years is reasons of the amount of taxes being put on the people of Erie County. There are a lot of positives I concider, none are sports teams making money off the people/patrons/fans (at their own free will) as well as getting millions from the taxpayers who are forced to subsidize the places for them to play in.
With you being a Sabres fan, I'm curious how you could post this...

Old 07-21-2009, 08:52 PM

1,515 posts, read 3,332,506 times
Quote:
Well, you're a self proclaimed Sabres fan so why complain, that makes no sense... why not post what you would think would happen to the Buff should the Bills ever leave.
You just can't get it. I think that this whole discussion is a waste because Town&Country just doesn't understand how someone can support a sports team, but not support a massive amount of debt it is causing.

This things aren't mutually exclusive, you can not be in favor of the Sabres forcing us to pay their salaries, but be in favor in the Sabres. It's not Catch-22.

It doesn't get much clearer than that I'm afraid. I think that T&C will just have to be satisfied "knowing" that he proved FedUp, and the thousands of WNYers who don't want to sell out our futures for a losing hockey (and football) team, could never be true Sabres fans.

Tell you what. Put your money where your mouth is T&C, start writing letters to the editor in the Buffalo News demanding more taxpayer funding for the sports teams. Send the Sabres your own money for no reason, then you will be the greatest sports fan in WNY.

Hey, who knows given the mass exodus of the reason because of people like you calling for more taxes, you may be the only Sabres fan left here before long. Then you'll truly be awesome.

Oh, except one thing, if we don't manage to stabilize the population soon, the Sabres and Bills will BOTH be gone... all because certain morons in public office can't understand that the proper use for taxes isn't so that they can pay our athletes, but keep our city running smoothly.

It is a truly sad commentary when we have roads falling apart, drug and gang problems, and not enough money to fix any of those, but some people are so greedy that they "forget the needy and the hurting, I want to see some football!"

Let me reiterate what will happen if the Bills and Sabres leave. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, PEOPLE WILL WATCH THE GAMES ON THEIR 50 INCH PLASMA SCREEN TVs! THEY ARE JUST SPORTS TEAMS THAT ARE TOO BIG FOR THIS CITY, GET OVER IT

Old 07-21-2009, 10:48 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,348,495 times
Quote:
With you being a Sabres fan, I'm curious how you could post this...
Feddy just doesn't want to answer. Perhaps there isn't an answer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area