U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 03:20 PM

2,991 posts, read 5,309,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloLight View Post
I hate football and hate even more that any city would subsidize a sports franchise in any way. I think it would be a bigger blow to people whom have already moved away and find comfort in watching the Bills with other ex Buffalonians than Buffalonians themselves.
No taxpayers in any county should be forced to subsidize a sports team that produces more drunken arrests than touchdowns every week.

Old 07-16-2009, 04:41 PM

1,308 posts, read 2,485,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedupWNY View Post
No taxpayers in any county should be forced to subsidize a sports team that produces more drunken arrests than touchdowns every week.
But they do, and that's funny and sad.

Old 07-16-2009, 05:03 PM

1,513 posts, read 1,962,966 times
Don't forget hit and runs, and with T.O. in town, anything can happen

Old 07-16-2009, 06:11 PM

988 posts, read 1,947,597 times
Quote:
Yet the staduim for the team was built out in the suburbs.
A lot of teams don't actually play where their name says, i.e. dallas, nyj, nyg, etc. Where would people park IN Buffalo anyways...

Taxes? The team brings in a lot of revenue that you may not see... hotels, restaurants, gas, convenient stores, gear, etc. on and on. More than meets the eye.

Buffalo is a football town period. If they were ever to leave, a lot, and I mean a lot, of people would leave... and a ton would never consider going back. Even if you don't like football its a part of Buffalo for 50 years now and is entrenched with the city. We grew up with it and its a way of life so to say, a club. Its Buffalo History...

The Bills are one of the major reasons that we and a lot of others we know cannot wait to move back. Lets just hope and pray that Kelly can deliver the goods. The Bills are good for Buffalo.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Town&Country View Post
A lot of teams don't actually play where their name says, i.e. dallas, nyj, nyg, etc. Where would people park IN Buffalo anyways...

Taxes? The team brings in a lot of revenue that you may not see... hotels, restaurants, gas, convenient stores, gear, etc. on and on. More than meets the eye.

Buffalo is a football town period. If they were ever to leave, a lot, and I mean a lot, of people would leave... and a ton would never consider going back. Even if you don't like football its a part of Buffalo for 50 years now and is entrenched with the city. We grew up with it and its a way of life so to say, a club. Its Buffalo History...

The Bills are one of the major reasons that we and a lot of others we know cannot wait to move back. Lets just hope and pray that Kelly can deliver the goods. The Bills are good for Buffalo.
If you didn't want to read other people's opinions you shouldn't have asked their thoughts. My points are specific to the taxpayers being forced to pay for the stadium where the Bills play. No matter how much revenue is made, we still have to pay the taxes for them and that is what I am not happy about it. If people want to leave over a football team, let them go, so long, see ya, adios, goodbye. The biggest reason for our loss of population is the taxes, the Buffalo Bills is a tax forced onto the people of Erie County. So, without the Bills here, it's something we won't be taxed on anymore. Period! Taxpayer subsidized sports shouldn't be anywhere. If the Bills want to stay here, they should foot their own bill instead of having a contract where the taxpayers have to pay for them to stay. We're taxed enough in Erie County. Go Bills! Please, just go! You have your thoughts, I have mine.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:03 PM

Quote:
If you didn't want to read other people's opinions you shouldn't have asked their thoughts. My points are specific to the taxpayers being forced to pay for the stadium where the Bills play. No matter how much revenue is made, we still have to pay the taxes for them and that is what I am not happy about it. If people want to leave over a football team, let them go, so long, see ya, adios, goodbye. The biggest reason for our loss of population is the taxes, the Buffalo Bills is a tax forced onto the people of Erie County. So, without the Bills here, it's something we won't be taxed on anymore. Period! Taxpayer subsidized sports shouldn't be anywhere. If the Bills want to stay here, they should foot their own bill instead of having a contract where the taxpayers have to pay for them to stay. We're taxed enough in Erie County. Go Bills! Please, just go! You have your thoughts, I have mine.
I did want to read other peoples opinions, thats why I made this thread. Its called "discussion" even if we don't all agree. If we ALL agreed there would be no need to even have keyboards...

Its not the Bills who account for the crazy taxes, its the politicians.

Is it really about money? The Bills? If you are from Buffalo then I'm sure that you can at least look at the side that will pay whatever it takes to see the team and be a participating fan. That is good for the economy of WNY. How many establishments would fall if they were not here...

Taxpayers all over the country in some way pay a small tax for a NFL franchise, but the revenue makes that look small.

There are only 32 NFL teams in the World... and we are lucky to have one of them. How many cities are dying to have their own team, from bigger markets... yet we have one.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Its not the Bills who account for the crazy taxes, its the politicians.
The Bills are on the receiving end of financial gain from the taxpayers because of the contract for their stadium. The Buffalo Bills definately do contribute to our higher taxes.

Quote:
Is it really about money? The Bills? If you are from Buffalo then I'm sure that you can at least look at the side that will pay whatever it takes to see the team and be a participating fan. That is good for the economy of WNY. How many establishments would fall if they were not here...
Yes, it is about the money taxpayers are forced to pay for the Bills to play. I am Buffalo, born & bred. I lived here all my life even when all of my family left. I didn't. And I didn't stay because of a football team. How many of these establishments are there around the stadium that would actually die off, since there are only 7 home games a year, out of 52 weeks? Do these establishments only make a profit when the Bills are in town? And what establishment can survive on 7 weeks a year?

Quote:
Taxpayers all over the country in some way pay a small tax for a NFL franchise, but the revenue makes that look small.
Just because taxpayers are forced to pay for NFL teams, doesn't make it right. I'm sorry, but millions of taxpayers' dollars every year doesn't add up to "a small price to pay" when taxpayers have to pay the bill for the Buffalo Bills.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:38 PM

NFL Football is a form of entertainment. It is a way of life for Many WNY'ers. The real money being thrown away is not due to The Bills, its due to all the "freebies" the state and govt. gives away to a lot of undeserving individuals. I'm sure you know what I mean... I would assume.

Fedup, I'm curious, are you a Bills fan? Do you watch any of the games?

I was born in Buffalo, been a fan for life, and yikes, am reaching 50 years old very soon.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:52 PM

Quote:
NFL Football is a form of entertainment. It is a way of life for Many WNY'ers. The real money being thrown away is not due to The Bills, its due to all the "freebies" the state and govt. gives away to a lot of undeserving individuals. I'm sure you know what I mean... I would assume.

Fedup, I'm curious, are you a Bills fan? Do you watch any of the games?

I was born in Buffalo, been a fan for life, and yikes, am reaching 50 years old very soon.
The Buffalo Bills get the same "freebies" and it's real money too. I'm not a fan of taxpayer subsidized sports teams. I'm still wondering about all of the establishments who are at the edge of closing due to the loss of 7 weeks a year. Pretell, please. What businesses will die off because 7 weeks wouldn't happen? What businesses?

Old 07-16-2009, 07:58 PM

205 posts, read 241,209 times
It costs taxpayers 817,000 dollars per game so that's like what? 7 to 7.5 million something or another.

As a side note I am extremely disappointed with Chris Collins stance on this issue. He ran on the platform of a fiscal republican but when it comes to the Bills he buckled so fast not wanting to be unpopular. While he's giving the Bills whatever they want others like the BPO, Zoo, Albright, have been pressured to have appointed reps, by Collins, injected onto their boards. But no such stings attached for the Bills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area