U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 07-17-2009, 03:59 PM
 
Location: Rochester, NY
1,293 posts, read 2,811,732 times
Reputation: 316

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canerican View Post
Well, culture doesn't necessarily need to be sophisticated in order to be considered "culture."
Exactly.

 
Old 07-17-2009, 04:19 PM
 
Location: Now in Houston!
923 posts, read 2,453,145 times
Reputation: 633
Study (http://www.heartland.org/policybot/results.html?artId=9474 - broken link)after study, as well as very detailed economic data supports the fact that subsidizing sports teams provides no tangible economic benefit. There have even been entire books written on the subject.

The economic benefits argument is invalid.

WNY'ers have invested a huge amount of civic self-esteem into professional sports teams, so when (not if) the Bills leave Buffalo someday, this will truly be a huge psychological blow. The politicians know this and will spend whatever it takes to keep the team because none of them want to down in history as "The Guy Who Lost the Bills".

This concept is as old as the Roman Empire. The emperors kept the plebs in line by keeping them content with "bread and circuses" (welfare and football)
 
Old 07-17-2009, 04:59 PM
 
1,513 posts, read 2,073,357 times
Reputation: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstaterInBklyn View Post
This concept is as old as the Roman Empire. The emperors kept the plebs in line by keeping them content with "bread and circuses" (welfare and football)
Oh boy! Buffalo is Rome!

Point well taken though, a good metaphor.
 
Old 07-17-2009, 07:15 PM
 
989 posts, read 2,071,949 times
Reputation: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedupWNY View Post
You didn't say how much business loss there would be if the Buffalo Bills didn't play 7 games a year. What loss of business? You are the one who said establishments, why can't you be to say which ones are on the verge of closing if the Buffalo Bills left. You answer my question, then I will answer yours.
cheese9988 basically said what I would have said, good post cheese, post 32.

No need to answer, from what you have stated its apparent you aren't a Bills fan nor a fan of alcohol, human bonding, comaradarie, ... a "club style atmosphere". To each his own, thats what makes us all different. You may have misdiagnosed what I meant by "freebies"...

To stay balanced, people need to have entertainment mixed in with the challenges of everyday life. The Buffalo Bills provide that to those who are fans, after all, this is our 50th year anniversary!

Here's a nice clip if you want to see how the Bills are regarded:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEDI7s2Iepo

Beating the Raiders 51-3... this town was on fire! This is what being a fan is all about. The stadium is packed to the gills...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I57EZLhJn7g

Just imagine all the money being spent in the local area for a game... most certainly a lot of business would fall as would the morale.

Last edited by The716; 07-17-2009 at 07:35 PM..
 
Old 07-17-2009, 09:14 PM
 
Location: Beautiful Buffalo :-)
2,988 posts, read 5,577,902 times
Reputation: 1348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Town&Country View Post
To stay balanced, people need to have entertainment mixed in with the challenges of everyday life.
All I'm saying is, the taxpayers shouldn't have to pay for the entertainment others value as "balanced".
 
Old 07-17-2009, 09:30 PM
 
989 posts, read 2,071,949 times
Reputation: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedupWNY View Post
All I'm saying is, the taxpayers shouldn't have to pay for the entertainment others value as "balanced".
I understand your point... and I will add that the taxpayers pay for A LOT of "entertainment" in the form of freebies, a LOT more than the Bills, i.e. free food, housing, cars, medical, cash, etc. Do all of these people actually deserve this? No. Now there is some wasted taxpayer money.

If less than one percent of the budget goes to entertainment then I'm all for it... the Bills are certainly worth it, plus what their mere being pumps into the economy year round.

Van Miller begins...


YouTube - BUFFALO BILLS TAILGATING PART 1
 
Old 07-17-2009, 11:35 PM
 
Location: Beautiful Buffalo :-)
2,988 posts, read 5,577,902 times
Reputation: 1348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Town&Country View Post
I understand your point... and I will add that the taxpayers pay for A LOT of "entertainment" in the form of freebies, a LOT more than the Bills, i.e. free food, housing, cars, medical, cash, etc. Do all of these people actually deserve this? No. Now there is some wasted taxpayer money.
I know the point you're making, I've heard it before, the Buffalo Bills are a higher priority than starving children in Erie County. You'll say the poor aren't deserving of limited assistence as long as taxpayers are paying for the Buffalo Bills. From your words, a homeless person on Main Street is less deserving of a hot meal and a clean place to sleep at night because you think taxpayers should keep funding a professional football team. I'd like for you to type out that a battered wife isn't deserving of such "entertainment" for a safe place to stay because she found the strength to leave an abusive spouse. All this because you want the Bills to stay here. There's more about Erie County than paying for a losing football team when everyday life is something you don't want to think of while tailgating with "Snortin Norton".
 
Old 07-18-2009, 07:07 AM
 
1,513 posts, read 2,073,357 times
Reputation: 424
Good post FedUp. I rep'd you for that one!
 
Old 07-18-2009, 07:17 AM
 
989 posts, read 2,071,949 times
Reputation: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedupWNY View Post
I know the point you're making, I've heard it before, the Buffalo Bills are a higher priority than starving children in Erie County. You'll say the poor aren't deserving of limited assistence as long as taxpayers are paying for the Buffalo Bills. From your words, a homeless person on Main Street is less deserving of a hot meal and a clean place to sleep at night because you think taxpayers should keep funding a professional football team. I'd like for you to type out that a battered wife isn't deserving of such "entertainment" for a safe place to stay because she found the strength to leave an abusive spouse. All this because you want the Bills to stay here. There's more about Erie County than paying for a losing football team when everyday life is something you don't want to think of while tailgating with "Snortin Norton".
This stuff happens everywhere, not just in Buffalo.
 
Old 07-18-2009, 07:59 AM
 
5,266 posts, read 4,417,549 times
Reputation: 14860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Town&Country View Post
I understand your point... and I will add that the taxpayers pay for A LOT of "entertainment" in the form of freebies, a LOT more than the Bills, i.e. free food, housing, cars, medical, cash, etc. Do all of these people actually deserve this? No. Now there is some wasted taxpayer money.

If less than one percent of the budget goes to entertainment then I'm all for it... the Bills are certainly worth it, plus what their mere being pumps into the economy year round.

Van Miller begins...


YouTube - BUFFALO BILLS TAILGATING PART 1
Holy crap! LOL Larry Norton is still on the airwaves? I remember him back in the early 80's.........

I don't think it would have much of an effect at all if the Bills left!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top