U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 07-18-2009, 08:46 AM
 
Location: Beautiful Buffalo :-)
2,972 posts, read 7,058,631 times
Reputation: 1385

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canerican View Post
Good post FedUp. I rep'd you for that one!


Quote:
Originally Posted by FedupWNY
I know the point you're making, I've heard it before, the Buffalo Bills are a higher priority than starving children in Erie County. You'll say the poor aren't deserving of limited assistence as long as taxpayers are paying for the Buffalo Bills. From your words, a homeless person on Main Street is less deserving of a hot meal and a clean place to sleep at night because you think taxpayers should keep funding a professional football team. I'd like for you to type out that a battered wife isn't deserving of such "entertainment" for a safe place to stay because she found the strength to leave an abusive spouse. All this because you want the Bills to stay here. There's more about Erie County than paying for a losing football team when everyday life is something you don't want to think of while tailgating with "Snortin Norton".


Thanks.

 
Old 07-18-2009, 07:05 PM
 
970 posts, read 1,397,767 times
Reputation: 1486
If that's your argument, we should also get rid of zoos, museums, the Sabres, the Bisons, cable tv, chicken wings, beer, concerts, basically all entertainment and items related to enjoying life but not necessary for life. Then we can all be miserable together.
 
Old 07-18-2009, 07:45 PM
 
Location: Beautiful Buffalo :-)
2,972 posts, read 7,058,631 times
Reputation: 1385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisps View Post
If that's your argument, we should also get rid of zoos, museums, the Sabres, the Bisons, cable tv, chicken wings, beer, concerts, basically all entertainment and items related to enjoying life but not necessary for life. Then we can all be miserable together.
None of these items are higher subsidized by the taxpayers than the Buffalo Bills. You didn't see the part where I said I have nothing against football, it's the taxes we're forced to pay for them. The Bills can stay for 100 years, as long as the taxpayers aren't forced to pay for them anymore. Reading what people write makes a big difference.
 
Old 07-18-2009, 07:52 PM
 
Location: Beautiful Buffalo :-)
2,972 posts, read 7,058,631 times
Reputation: 1385
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstaterInBklyn View Post
WNY'ers have invested a huge amount of civic self-esteem into professional sports teams, so when (not if) the Bills leave Buffalo someday, this will truly be a huge psychological blow.
Thank you Upstater, the best word to be written about the topic. Psychological ! I never knew so many people could wrap their entire lives up into whether or not a football team leaves. Erie County has been under economic hardship for too long, funny though, they still find ways to fund the Buffalo Bills. This county will make cuts to everything that is need, except the psychological impact of a losing football team.
 
Old 07-18-2009, 07:55 PM
 
970 posts, read 1,397,767 times
Reputation: 1486
So it's just the highest subsidized item that you're after? It has nothing to do with football or tailgating or drunk fans or beer or snortin nortin? Why stop at just the highest subsidy, if in fact it really is? How do you define a worthy or unworthy subsidy?
 
Old 07-18-2009, 08:00 PM
 
996 posts, read 2,826,055 times
Reputation: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedupWNY View Post
None of these items are higher subsidized by the taxpayers than the Buffalo Bills. You didn't see the part where I said I have nothing against football, it's the taxes we're forced to pay for them. The Bills can stay for 100 years, as long as the taxpayers aren't forced to pay for them anymore. Reading what people write makes a big difference.
The taxpayers are forced to pay for a lot worse than keeping a Professional NFL team in the area... the taxes that are paid, "The Bills", go to a lot of garbage that isn't neccessary. Let the fans have fun I say, there are a lot of fans!

This girl is one... "Hands Off My Bills", got to give her credit for doing it, lol


YouTube - Hands Off My Bills!
 
Old 07-18-2009, 08:00 PM
 
Location: Beautiful Buffalo :-)
2,972 posts, read 7,058,631 times
Reputation: 1385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Town&Country View Post
This stuff happens everywhere, not just in Buffalo.
Not every county has taxpayers forced to pay for a football team either. Every dime given to the Buffalo Bills is less use for what is truly needed. Tailgating 7 weeks out of the year is not my idea of what's really needed, psychological belly-aching for a team to lose another game isn't important.
 
Old 07-18-2009, 08:06 PM
 
Location: Beautiful Buffalo :-)
2,972 posts, read 7,058,631 times
Reputation: 1385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Town&Country View Post
Let the fans have fun I say, there are a lot of fans!
I don't object to this, just make it so that taxpayers don't have to keep footing the bill every year for a losing team. There are millions of dollars taxpayers are forced to pay for the Buffalo Bills' "entertainment" every year. They should be paying their own way, not imposing corporate welfare onto the taxpayers. In case people aren't reading me correctly, I'll say it again, I don't have a problem with football, it's the taxes we're forced to pay that I do have a problem with.
 
Old 07-18-2009, 08:08 PM
 
996 posts, read 2,826,055 times
Reputation: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedupWNY View Post
Not every county has taxpayers forced to pay for a football team either. Every dime given to the Buffalo Bills is less use for what is truly needed. Tailgating 7 weeks out of the year is not my idea of what's really needed, psychological belly-aching for a team to lose another game isn't important.
While it may not be your idea of whats really needed it IS for thousands upon thousands of other people.

If we were perennial Winners would that change your point of view? You use "lose and losing" quite a bit...

The overall majority of Bills fans aren't bandwagoners... its our team and we are married to them. The Buffalo economy would suffer like it never has before should they leave...
 
Old 07-18-2009, 08:29 PM
 
Location: Beautiful Buffalo :-)
2,972 posts, read 7,058,631 times
Reputation: 1385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Town&Country View Post
While it may not be your idea of whats really needed it IS for thousands upon thousands of other people.

If we were perennial Winners would that change your point of view? You use "lose and losing" quite a bit...

The overall majority of Bills fans aren't bandwagoners... its our team and we are married to them. The Buffalo economy would suffer like it never has before should they leave...
You don't get it, the Buffalo Bills can win every Super Bowl from now to Kingdon Come, I don't care, as long as the taxpayers don't have to keep paying for them to be here. It's corporate welfare that I'm not a fan of. Until they start paying their own way in Erie County I'll never support "our hometown team". As much money I've paid to the team, I should own stock in it!

I know all about how Bills fans are "die hards", I've lived in Buffalo all my life. It's the taxes we're forced to pay that I speak out against, the team suffers because of it's yearly hand-out that I am forced to pay. I'm willing to take the chance of less taxes without the Buffalo Bills here, or until they start paying their own way and stop impossing the burden onto the taxpayers. And like I said before, I'll let you be the one to tell a battered wife she's not deserving a safe place to stay because you're afraid it will be less funding for a losing football team. You can write it that a child doesn't deserve a hot meal for dinner because of your psychological attachment to an entertainment football team. Go ahead, type it out! Tell the homeless down on main Street they are less deserving because 7 weeks of football is more important to spend our taxes on. Type out to all the senior citizens their perscriptions aren't worth paying for because you have a football game that you have to watch. The Buffalo Bills is corporate welfare to the core, it feeds the psychological needs of people who just can't live without tailgating 7 times a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top