Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 10:59 AM

2,972 posts, read 8,214,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Town&Country View Post
This pretty much makes the tax part of the discussion null and void... about as much as heading up to Teds for lunch.
Not quite because if another something is bonded by the end of the year, the total of what taxpayers have to pay increases. There's nothing void about more than $33 million bonded for a football & hockey team that is put on the backs of taxpayers. There's nothing null about how the Bills & the Sabres should be paying their own way instead of imposing this tax burden on the people of Erie County.

Old 07-19-2009, 12:05 PM

205 posts, read 479,495 times
Quote:
Wow, lol... 8 dollars per taxpayer per year. Or, using fedup's link below, at 14 million or so for RWS only... 16 bucks per taxpayer per year.

This pretty much makes the tax part of the discussion null and void... about as much as heading up to Teds for lunch.

Thanks for clarifying that gentlemen
That is a lot of money. Especially when you add it to the other millions of "its just .10 - 10.00 dollars per person per year." In the end it is still a lot of money we shouldn't be paying.

I don't really have much to add at this point as I think the thread has degraded itself somewhat. But I just want to ask one last thing. If the Bills are so popular and so supported and so ingrained into the culture of WNY why do taxpayers need to pay for them at all? Why do the Bills have to constantly lower their ticket prices? If the people who support the bills want them to stay here they should pay.

I hate football. I'm honest about this. Why should I have to pay anything at all for them if they are so popular like people in this thread keep saying?

Old 07-19-2009, 01:51 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,734,462 times
to be honest. I don't think buffalo will sink any lower. and to be honest i don't care if they leave or not. as long as my hockey stays i am ok.

Old 07-19-2009, 02:16 PM

1,515 posts, read 3,332,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff 11 View Post
to be honest. I don't think buffalo will sink any lower. and to be honest i don't care if they leave or not. as long as my hockey stays i am ok.
I think the Sabres will be around a little longer than the Bills will, although, they really don't seem like they are angling for the playoffs, even to rebuild.

Old 07-19-2009, 02:28 PM

258 posts, read 1,035,188 times
If the Bills left Buffalo - Buffalo will fall off the map

It will just lose that "Big city" feel

Big cities have football teams. Buffalo is a medium sized city with a franchise.

I would move eventually - The Bills just hold me back from moving.

Old 07-19-2009, 03:55 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,368,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StampedeCity View Post
If the Bills left Buffalo - Buffalo will fall off the map

It will just lose that "Big city" feel

Big cities have football teams. Buffalo is a medium sized city with a franchise.

I would move eventually - The Bills just hold me back from moving.
Good crisp post StampedeCity... the Bills are one of the Main reasons that we are moving Back.

I was born in Buffalo and raised in Clarence and Lancaster. I'm nearly 50 now and it seems like it was yesterday sitting on my Dads knee watching Kemp heaving it to Dubenion. All of the neighbors would be cooking out, going over to each others houses, talking about the game, etc. Bonding.

This has not changed one bit in nearly 50 years. Although I'm in the deep deep south for now there is a huge following down here as in other parts of the country. Our local Bills Backers organization has over 400 members. The people are awesome and its like a huge extended family.

All I have to do is wear a Bills shirt or cap, no matter where I am, and out of the blue, someone will either say "Go Bills" or start a conversation even if they are a fan of another team. Happened today as a matter of fact at Lowes... an Eagles fan who worked there. Talked for 5 minutes or so about our teams... very cool.

Even if you're not in attendance at a Bills game there are plenty of get togethers in the WNY area every weekend during the season and plenty away from Buffalo too. The fall is a magic time beginning in September, waking up on a Sunday and knowing you get to watch your team that day... planning, food, beverages, good people... and the major holidays are right around the corner too.

Like it or not there are Bills fans Everywhere... and if they ever left it would be a major blow to the morale of Bills fans everywhere and a big hit on the economy. I believe the city Would stagger and fall... Imagine NOT having a team to discuss at work, with your buddies, or "around the water cooler".

I billieve Kelly Will get it done and when he does he will be my new hero... for life. Like StampedeCity said, Buffalo will fall off of the map should they ever leave. The border crossing thing isn't helping either... it puts Buffalo at the end of a dead end street but that is another thread.

I will embrace the tiny tax when we arrive...

Old 07-19-2009, 04:29 PM

2,972 posts, read 8,214,396 times
Quote:
Like StampedeCity said, Buffalo will fall off of the map should they ever leave.
The only "bonding" Erie County knows is how to borrow money to pay for this team (and the Sabres), then tax the people with interest. Forcing taxpayers to pay for entertainment these franchises could be paying for themselves. When you do arrive in Erie County, wait for your tax bill, high/added taxes is what makes people leave here. These are teams that make more than enough in profit and they still get a government hand out to pay for the places they perform in. The Bills & the Sabres need to lift the financial burden off the taxpayers, or they need to leave Erie County. Either way, the taxpayers won't be paying for the teams. More than $33 million is a heck of a lot of "bonding" taxpayers are forced to pay for.

Old 07-19-2009, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FedupWNY View Post
The only "bonding" Erie County knows is how to borrow money to pay for this team (and the Sabres), then tax the people with interest. Forcing taxpayers to pay for entertainment these franchises could be paying for themselves. When you do arrive in Erie County, wait for your tax bill, high/added taxes is what makes people leave here. These are teams that make more than enough in profit and they still get a government hand out to pay for the places they perform in. The Bills & the Sabres need to lift the financial burden off the taxpayers, or they need to leave Erie County. Either way, the taxpayers won't be paying for the teams. More than $33 million is a heck of a lot of "bonding" taxpayers are forced to pay for.
You discuss the small tax for the Bills (somehow you keep bringing the Sabres into this) and I'll discuss what the team means to the City of Buffalo and the people who enjoy the team, fair enough?

Old 07-19-2009, 05:32 PM

1,515 posts, read 3,332,506 times
Quote:
You discuss the small tax for the Bills (somehow you keep bringing the Sabres into this) and I'll discuss what the team means to the City of Buffalo and the people who enjoy the team, fair enough?
FedUp is dead on though. You are sniping from an indefensible position.

It is like asking Erie County to pay for your cable, because you enjoy Saturday Night Live, and entertainment is valuable. We sink our money into these teams that can't support themselves, why? Because some Buffalonians will be bored on Sunday if they don't? Or even worse, won't be able to get drunk at 11 AM 8... I mean 7 weeks year.

If the Bills can't make it here without my tax dollars, they should be somewhere else, or they should figure out a way to become profitable (besides ask the EC for more money).

If it means that they will have to play 3 games in Toronto a year, in order to not require subsidies, so be it! We are taxed to death already, they ought to at least use our tax dollars more wisely than they are.

Old 07-19-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canerican View Post
FedUp is dead on though. You are sniping from an indefensible position.

It is like asking Erie County to pay for your cable, because you enjoy Saturday Night Live, and entertainment is valuable. We sink our money into these teams that can't support themselves, why? Because some Buffalonians will be bored on Sunday if they don't? Or even worse, won't be able to get drunk at 11 AM 8... I mean 7 weeks year.

If the Bills can't make it here without my tax dollars, they should be somewhere else, or they should figure out a way to become profitable (besides ask the EC for more money).

If it means that they will have to play 3 games in Toronto a year, in order to not require subsidies, so be it! We are taxed to death already, they ought to at least use our tax dollars more wisely than they are.
Well Canerican, I didn't originally mean for the thread to go into taxation... I entertained it for awhile to be fair, but, lets keep it on topic... what would happen to the City of Buffalo should the Bills ever leave?

Feel free to go start a "The Buffalo Bills Tax is Ruining my Life" thread... I'll post there with my other thoughts just like your buddy will. We all seem to be civil here from what I can see...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area