U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Unread 07-19-2009, 09:04 PM

5,309 posts, read 3,767,370 times
It is an interesting study. I am not sure I can draw too many conclusions from it.

I know of some areas where I feel accidents are bound to happen. The right hand turn off of the 198 at Delaware, the I-90 interchange at the 33 (when on the 33, it always backs up)...

Unread 07-20-2009, 11:01 AM

595 posts, read 1,144,447 times
I once read somewhere that the Blue Water Tower (where the 90 and 290 meet) was the interchange where truckers supposedly lost more time at than at any interchange in the country.

But, really its hard for me to take this study seriously when Akron, OH is rated at number 18! I used to commute through there everyday and found it slower and more dangerous than any of the expressways around Buffalo. Not to mention what passes for snow removal down here!
I commuted from my parents' house in Newfane down to McKinley Mall for a while and I can't think of a time when I even had a close call or got into a major traffic jam than I couldn't get out of fast and/or drive around.

Unread 07-20-2009, 03:31 PM

1,513 posts, read 1,890,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truemuck View Post
But, really its hard for me to take this study seriously when Akron, OH is rated at number 18! I used to commute through there everyday and found it slower and more dangerous than any of the expressways around Buffalo. Not to mention what passes for snow removal down here!
It uses the number of years that an average resident of these cities goes between accidents, not if it "feels dangerous."

The truth is that there are many bad habits in Buffalo that I think that cause the vast majority of multivehicle accidents. The first has to be that people around here run red lights like few places in the US. How many times has your light turned green and 2-3 more cars ran the red light? That is extremely dangerous, and very common here. Second is that people drive in the middle lane of the highway, regardless of speed. Countless times I have passed people on the right because they don't have the courtesy to using the the middle lane as a passing lane (as they should). This creates danger for both people merging, since I am going faster than they can merge, second, because some morn hogs the middle lane, if he needs to exit left, he has to cut over three lanes to exit, all because he doesn't understand that the left lanes are for passing.

It doesn't surprise me that many people in Buffalo get into many accidents given the bad habits that drivers here have.

Unread 07-20-2009, 10:13 PM

421 posts, read 970,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAB27 View Post
As someone who grew up in Rochester and went to school in Buffalo, I can say for sure Rochester is a much easier place to drive. Not only are the expressways set up much better, but the drivers in Rochester just seem better.
I disagree. Both cities have very poor drivers. The worst issue is a sense of following distance. People switch lanes in your face on the interstates, and are horrible tailgaters. I've been cut off at some very, very, very close distances in both metro areas by folks who just don't have any sense of or feel for following distance.

Unread 07-20-2009, 10:16 PM

421 posts, read 970,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truemuck View Post
I once read somewhere that the Blue Water Tower (where the 90 and 290 meet) was the interchange where truckers supposedly lost more time at than at any interchange in the country.

I commuted from my parents' house in Newfane down to McKinley Mall for a while and I can't think of a time when I even had a close call or got into a major traffic jam than I couldn't get out of fast and/or drive around.
I agree 110%, truemuck!! Akron's freeways are pretty scary. I far prefer Buffalo. At least Buffalo drivers keep moving at a decent pace, and drive with some semblance of confidence..

Unread 07-21-2009, 06:25 AM

3,235 posts, read 4,575,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwelleaut View Post
I disagree. Both cities have very poor drivers. The worst issue is a sense of following distance. People switch lanes in your face on the interstates, and are horrible tailgaters. I've been cut off at some very, very, very close distances in both metro areas by folks who just don't have any sense of or feel for following distance.
Welcome to every city in the northeast ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area