Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 08:40 AM

1,515 posts, read 3,325,760 times

Advertisements

It could be worse. Not all that surprising... I have said in the past interstate drivers here are some of the worst I have ever seem. We also have a MASSIVE problem with red light runners (definitely the worst I have ever seen). Buffalo is a very frustrating place to drive in, because people don't bother obey the rules of the road...

Here is the link to the entire list, created by Allstate, so it uses empirical data, which is good for accuracy.

http://allstatenewsroom.com/documents/423;download?src=L2NhdGVnb3JpZXMvNi9yZWxlYXNlcy80N TI5%0A (broken link)

Interestingly Rochester ranks 82nd, Syracuse 64th, so you can't say "it's the snow." It also doesn't seem like there is a correlation between population and city rank. I'm not sure about Rochester, but I can tell you that Syracuse is definitely a better place to drive.

In Buffalo the average person take has an accident every 8.5 years. I, a non-native Buffalonian, have never had an accident in my 7 years of driving, my Dad never has either. Something about defensive driving that people don't understand here. No, you don't have to drive slow to be defensive... but use your brain, and there will be fewer accidents.

Just (another) way the Buffalo falls short of the rest of the country.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:43 AM

1,293 posts, read 4,986,315 times
I wonder how the new red light camera will change some of these problems. My guess is that the traffic department will get a huge surge in revenue for a little bit. I don't understand how Raleigh could be better than Buffalo. Half the people there have a magnet connected to their front bumper, and you would be hard pressed to find people that actually use their turn signal. And I'm sure Allstate is not away of all the illegal immigrants driving around down there, kinda hard to get insured with a fake license.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:30 AM

1,515 posts, read 3,325,760 times
That's true, I'm sure alot of accidents with illegals don't even get reported. But there are lots of cities that have few illegals that ranked FAR higher than Buffalo. Besides, Raleigh didn't do so well.

To tell you the truth, I would prefer someone drive close to me than have three morons go through red lights, or have people cutting through 3 lanes of traffic to exit the interstate (as people here do not understand the concept as the 2nd and 3rd lanes being passing lanes, which I discussed in another thread).

Old 07-16-2009, 10:36 PM

57 posts, read 198,605 times
As someone who grew up in Rochester and went to school in Buffalo, I can say for sure Rochester is a much easier place to drive. Not only are the expressways set up much better, but the drivers in Rochester just seem better.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:38 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,536,857 times
I'm not surprised to see Austin & Houston TX & pretty much the whole DFW metroplex near the bottom of the list. Its common knowledge that in Texas a red light means 3 more cars can go

Old 07-17-2009, 10:29 AM

504 posts, read 1,489,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAB27 View Post
...Not only are the expressways set up much better...
Lol no.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycrows View Post
Lol no.
By a large margin. Driving on 390, 490, 590 and 104 is a breeze compared to Buffalo. I can't tell you the amount of times I almost got in an accident going 33 east and merging onto 90 to get on the thruway to go home. Especially during busy times. That is just a dangerous spot.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
By a large margin. Driving on 390, 490, 590 and 104 is a breeze compared to Buffalo. I can't tell you the amount of times I almost got in an accident going 33 east and merging onto 90 to get on the thruway to go home. Especially during busy times. That is just a dangerous spot.
Ah, I see what you're saying. I don't like that interchange much either.

What I thought you were saying is that the highway system in Rochester is better laid out than in Buffalo. On the contrary, when I lived there, I rarely used the highways because they just didn't lead where I needed to go and city streets were just as quick in and out of downtown to the north or south. Also, Rochester's Inner Loop is an even more ridiculous piece of infrastructure than Buffalo's Skyway.

I still don't really agree that Rochester drivers are better or that it's substantially easier to drive there. Traffic pretty much doesn't exist in either city.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycrows View Post
Ah, I see what you're saying. I don't like that interchange much either.

What I thought you were saying is that the highway system in Rochester is better laid out than in Buffalo. On the contrary, when I lived there, I rarely used the highways because they just didn't lead where I needed to go and city streets were just as quick in and out of downtown to the north or south. Also, Rochester's Inner Loop is an even more ridiculous piece of infrastructure than Buffalo's Skyway.

I still don't really agree that Rochester drivers are better or that it's substantially easier to drive there. Traffic pretty much doesn't exist in either city.
I can see your point. But I just don't see Buffalo's system any more effective. I take the expressways virtually everywhere in Rochester and I find it extremely efficient. I think they are spread out a bit more than Buffalo's, and this leads to a bit less congestion. Not that there was much to begin with.

I guess it's just a general feeling that driving around Rochester, especially on expressways, is just easier.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
I can see your point. But I just don't see Buffalo's system any more effective. I take the expressways virtually everywhere in Rochester and I find it extremely efficient. I think they are spread out a bit more than Buffalo's, and this leads to a bit less congestion. Not that there was much to begin with.

I guess it's just a general feeling that driving around Rochester, especially on expressways, is just easier in Rochester.
I won't beat this horse anymore: I'm native to Buffalo and you are (I suspect) native to Rochester so we probably won't agree on this. The worst accident I've been in was in Rochester, and I've never been in an accident in Buffalo, so that also probably contributes to my bias. Allstate's figures are, as Canerican says, empirical, so I guess my experience is not reflective of reality.

I don't really drive anymore but when I had to commute by car everyday I actually got way too comfortable on Buffalo's interstates, including the Kensington. Going too fast, always trying to pass people. I'm glad I don't drive that way anymore. But I still feel "at ease" on Buffalo's roads in a way I don't in Rochester, mostly because of their familiarity to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area