U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-29-2009, 01:52 PM
 
1,513 posts, read 2,099,842 times
Reputation: 425

Advertisements

There was a thread with people discussing things invented in Buffalo, and I didn't realize a few of them. I was wondering, if you know of something invented in Buffalo, could you list it in this thread... It could be interesting.

If you have the date and inventor that would be better. Just to be clear, I am looking for things invented here. Not people who were born here, moved elsewhere then invented something.

So far we have Jello, windshield wipers, and air conditioners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-29-2009, 02:05 PM
 
32,016 posts, read 38,095,216 times
Reputation: 6449
Here's a good site: Buffalo & Erie County Historical Society (http://www.bechs.org/buffalo_made.htm - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2009, 02:41 PM
 
Location: Rochester, NY
1,293 posts, read 2,845,353 times
Reputation: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canerican View Post
There was a thread with people discussing things invented in Buffalo, and I didn't realize a few of them. I was wondering, if you know of something invented in Buffalo, could you list it in this thread... It could be interesting.

If you have the date and inventor that would be better. Just to be clear, I am looking for things invented here. Not people who were born here, moved elsewhere then invented something.

So far we have Jello, windshield wipers, and air conditioners.
You posted the ones I knew about. You can't forget the chicken wing also! I want to say Tesla did some inventions in Niagara Falls, trying to find out if he just did testing there.

The windshield wiper story is interesting, Ford tried to screw the guy over.

Well I guess you could call it an invention, looks like Tesla and Westinghouse built the worlds first hydroelectric power plant at Niagara Falls: http://www.teslasociety.com/niagarafalls_tesla.htm

Last edited by cheese9988; 08-29-2009 at 02:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2009, 03:08 PM
 
32,016 posts, read 38,095,216 times
Reputation: 6449
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese9988 View Post
You posted the ones I knew about. You can't forget the chicken wing also! I want to say Tesla did some inventions in Niagara Falls, trying to find out if he just did testing there.

The windshield wiper story is interesting, Ford tried to screw the guy over.
There are so many inventors, inventions and firsts that took place in NY, it's not even funny. For instance, here are some from my area: City of Syracuse (http://www.syracuse.ny.us/syracuseFirsts.asp - broken link)

and some more: John Dove - The Creator of CD Rom Technology (lived in Rome)

Edward John Noble - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thomas Elkins

George Westinghouse - The History of Electricity
George Westinghouse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

George Eastman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

George Pullman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Willis Carrier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

John Stevens (inventor) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Elmer Ambrose Sperry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gertrude B. Elion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Herman_Babcock

and many, many more......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2009, 03:38 PM
 
Location: Rochester, NY
1,293 posts, read 2,845,353 times
Reputation: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
There are so many inventors, inventions and firsts that took place in NY, it's not even funny. For instance, here are some from my area: City of Syracuse (http://www.syracuse.ny.us/syracuseFirsts.asp - broken link)

and some more: John Dove - The Creator of CD Rom Technology (lived in Rome)

Edward John Noble - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thomas Elkins

George Westinghouse - The History of Electricity
George Westinghouse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

George Eastman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

George Pullman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Willis Carrier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

John Stevens (inventor) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Elmer Ambrose Sperry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gertrude B. Elion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

George Herman Babcock - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and many, many more......
What did Gertrude Elion invent in NY, looks like she moved to RTP (next to Raleigh) in 1970?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2009, 04:54 PM
 
32,016 posts, read 38,095,216 times
Reputation: 6449
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese9988 View Post
What did Gertrude Elion invent in NY, looks like she moved to RTP (next to Raleigh) in 1970?
The Leukemia fighting drug 6-mercaptopurine and drugs that facilitated kidney transplants. Source: New York Famous People - New York Inventors
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2009, 01:34 AM
 
Location: BUFFALO, NY
1,576 posts, read 3,630,017 times
Reputation: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canerican View Post
There was a thread with people discussing things invented in Buffalo, and I didn't realize a few of them. I was wondering, if you know of something invented in Buffalo, could you list it in this thread... It could be interesting.

If you have the date and inventor that would be better. Just to be clear, I am looking for things invented here. Not people who were born here, moved elsewhere then invented something.

So far we have Jello, windshield wipers, and air conditioners.
Good thread! I was actually thinking about posting a thread very similar to this soon, considering the growing talk about WNY's inventions on another recent thread.

The Trico Plant (still standing near the medical campus, but shuttered) was where they first made millions of windshield wipers. I believe some guy named Trico (could be last name) invented a way to rid rain and snow off of the glass panes on automobiles. Living in Buffalo, this was all too needed during the winter months, and soon the windshield wiper was born.

It's funny that of all cities, Buffalo invented air conditioning! We had the first air conditioned office buildings in the world, along with many other types of AC.

You know why we are the "City of Light?" We invented street lights and were the first city to have used them. Buffalo was also the first city to have widespread electricity - streaming from Niagara Falls. From there we invented many other ways of using lights, such as the "Search Light," seen on the Electric Tower during the Pan-American Exposition.

Not to mention the invention of the Pacemaker. What a contribution! Greatbatch, living in Clarence nearly all his life, invented this unique contraption that saves thousands of lives every year. Greatbatch Inc. is headquarted in the suburb of Clarence, NY, and because of this, has put the region on the map. Today, there are over 3,300 employees under Greatbatch Inc..

There are dozens if not hundreds more inventions created right here in our own Queen City, WNY, and NY state. We truly have a history!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2009, 10:13 AM
 
Location: Rochester, NY
1,293 posts, read 2,845,353 times
Reputation: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
The Leukemia fighting drug 6-mercaptopurine and drugs that facilitated kidney transplants. Source: New York Famous People - New York Inventors
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2009, 10:27 AM
 
Location: Rochester, NY
1,293 posts, read 2,845,353 times
Reputation: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalonian4life View Post
Not to mention the invention of the Pacemaker. What a contribution! Greatbatch, living in Clarence nearly all his life, invented this unique contraption that saves thousands of lives every year. Greatbatch Inc. is headquarted in the suburb of Clarence, NY, and because of this, has put the region on the map. Today, there are over 3,300 employees under Greatbatch Inc..
Be careful with Greatbatch, he did not invent the pacemaker, he made it better through size his battery technology which they still pioneer today. The difference being is that before he made an implantable pacemaker. Before, shocks were delivered by external devices hooked up to the body. He developed an implantable pacemaker, but he did not invent it.

My company deals with them all over the country and they are growing. Their products are very high in quality, but with pharmaceutical you need to be.

Last edited by cheese9988; 08-30-2009 at 11:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2009, 11:43 AM
 
Location: Now in Houston!
923 posts, read 2,483,102 times
Reputation: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalonian4life View Post

The Trico Plant (still standing near the medical campus, but shuttered) was where they first made millions of windshield wipers. I believe some guy named Trico (could be last name) invented a way to rid rain and snow off of the glass panes on automobiles. Living in Buffalo, this was all too needed during the winter months, and soon the windshield wiper was born.
Actually, John R. Oishei was the founder of Trico. The Oishei family name is still prominent in Buffalo today through his charitable foundation. Oishei didn't invent anything, but he successfully commercialized the "rain rubber" invented by a man named Jepson. Oishei's biggest early success factor was that he convinced the auto manufacturers to install wipers as standard equipment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalonian4life View Post
You know why we are the "City of Light?" We invented street lights and were the first city to have used them.
Oops again. Cleveland was the first city to use electric streetlights, which were invented by Charles Brush, an engineer living in Ohio.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalonian4life View Post
It's funny that of all cities, Buffalo invented air conditioning! We had the first air conditioned office buildings in the world, along with many other types of AC.
Willis Carrier didn't really "invent" air conditioning, but he created the first commercially practical application in response to the needs of a printing plant in Brooklyn while he was an engineer at Buffalo Forge. Therefore the first air conditioned building was actually in Brooklyn. When he couldn't convince Buffalo Forge to go into the air conditioning business, he quit and founded the Carrier Corporation.... in Syracuse

Last edited by UpstaterInBklyn; 08-30-2009 at 11:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top