Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 06:54 AM

4,135 posts, read 10,810,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port North View Post
True, but the southwest corner of Amherst is experiencing an increase in crime. You hear of problems frequently in the area including the Allendale Apartments and there was a shooting near TJ Max (Sheridan and Niagara Falls Boulevard) last year. The empty storefronts on Sheridan Drive I think are a leading indicator that that part of Amherst doesn't have a bright future ahead of it.

Amherst gunshot victim is state parolee : Northern Suburbs : The Buffalo News (http://www.buffalonews.com/cityregion/northernsuburbs/story/471547.html - broken link)

Synder, Williamsville, Getzville, East Amherst and the wealthy part of Eggertsville (Lebrun Road and adjacent upper middle class streets) are still solid. However the more working class sections of Amherst (areas adjacent to Niagara Falls Boulevard all the way up to Looney Acres) will see continued decline.
Allenhurst Apts. were UB graduate housing in the 1970s. Now they are ratty welfare filled and section 8. Are you talking about them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 06:55 AM

Quote:
True, but the southwest corner of Amherst is experiencing an increase in crime. You hear of problems frequently in the area including the Allendale Apartments and there was a shooting near TJ Max (Sheridan and Niagara Falls Boulevard) last year. The empty storefronts on Sheridan Drive I think are a leading indicator that that part of Amherst doesn't have a bright future ahead of it.

Amherst gunshot victim is state parolee : Northern Suburbs : The Buffalo News (http://www.buffalonews.com/cityregion/northernsuburbs/story/471547.html - broken link)

Synder, Williamsville, Getzville, East Amherst and the wealthy part of Eggertsville (Lebrun Road and adjacent upper middle class streets) are still solid. However the more working class sections of Amherst (areas adjacent to Niagara Falls Boulevard all the way up to Looney Acres) will see continued decline.
Looney Acres was bad in the 1970s. That entire Sweethome school area over there was

Old 09-10-2009, 08:22 AM

1,199 posts, read 2,868,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
Allenhurst Apts. were UB graduate housing in the 1970s. Now they are ratty welfare filled and section 8. Are you talking about them?
Yes

Old 09-10-2009, 04:35 PM

93,191 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Looney Acres was bad in the 1970s. That entire Sweethome school area over there was
What's Looney Acres? Was it apartments that accepted Section 8? We have a couple of areas like that in the Syracuse area, but they have actually calmed down quite a bit and even back when they were worse, they weren't that bad.

Old 09-15-2009, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What's Looney Acres? Was it apartments that accepted Section 8? We have a couple of areas like that in the Syracuse area, but they have actually calmed down quite a bit and even back when they were worse, they weren't that bad.
"Looney Acres" is way out on Niagara Falls Blvd and going east (towards Sweethome Rd) where lots of shoddy duplexes were built pre 1975. There is a big industrial park over there by the Blvd. now and lots of office stuff. "LooneyAcres" is beyond and north, I think the turnoff street into it is something like Sunridge. My one daughter had a friend from swimming who lived there ( early 1980s). It is high rent in order to get into Sweethome, though I wonder why anyone wants to.

It is a good area for UB students if they have a car, I guess.

Anyone can accept a Section 8 if they apply; have a friend who has 3 duplexes in that area where she does.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:16 AM

1,199 posts, read 2,868,368 times
Quote:
Students are moving to lower priced housing in Amherst along the back roads where there are doubles ( like behind Amherst HS). as opposed to University Heights. Used to be you could walk there safely, take the rail safely, shop safely.... my doctor moved out to Clarence years ago, the great book store moved downtown, shops are leaving.. and crime is up. Developers have bought up apartment complexes to turn into gated communities for students (Collegiate Village).
Behind Amherst High School? Wow, that is almost Synder! That was never a college student area when I lived in WNY. Things really have changed in the 10 years I've left!

Old 09-17-2009, 03:18 PM

93,191 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Behind Amherst High School? Wow, that is almost Synder! That was never a college student area when I lived in WNY. Things really have changed in the 10 years I've left!
I wonder if it's UB and Daemen students. If so, it has changed. My sister went to Daemen in the early 90's and it was really nice out that way back then.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:16 PM

1,515 posts, read 3,331,257 times
I find Collegiate Village so strange. They look nice, but they are so far away from UB. I would bet that alot of students bought there without living in the area, because any sane person would scoff at the thought of paying $500 for a quad all the way out there.

My guess is that they are justing starting UB though, "halfway between downtown and the South Campus, sounds great!" When in reality it will take 20 minutes to get to the North Campus.

I took a look at those apartments about 6 months, and despite the fact that they were running deals (and were brand new) I decided to just pay my parents' mortgage, and live in a 2800 sq. ft. house in Getzville (now I rent 2 rooms, and am technically not paying anything almost).

Take a look at the Villages at Sweethome, or even UB's own student apartments, the prices are shocking. You are looking at about $800 a month at the very least for a private apartment. Those are generally nicer than the houses for rent, but you can get a decent apartment in most major cities in the US for that price (with some exceptions)

Old 09-19-2009, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Collegiate Village is off Eggert and Kensington, near Langfield Projects. I wouldn't live there is I was a student, nor let my kids live there ( both are around 30).

Behind Amherst HS east of Harlem Rd in Amherst are some pretty dicey streets with dounles. Had a friend who sold her house on one as the absentee next door landlord/neighbor was renting to druggies. That was in the late 1990s. I think the street was Hamilton. It is changing over in that area; expensive houses are still good, the areas toward Cleveland Dr and Kensington and east of Harlem have lots of doubles in there, so you need to see if they are student houses

Old 09-21-2009, 07:30 PM

3,970 posts, read 5,762,977 times
Yeah, I checked out the Allenhurst Apartments on Google Maps. They look quite out of place as to the surrounding neighborhood of pleasant single family homes. In fact, they kind of remind me of the Georgetown Apartments in our neighborhood of Hyde Park. Its the same idea, low income section 8 housing built to somewhat resemble suburban living (lawns and everything) and is populated mainly by former inner city residents.

Sadly though, some of these residents escape the city to try to escape a life of crime but don't escape the crime which brings down the neighborhood. Read the Buffalo News today and check the police blotter. An East Side man was apparently shot in a drive by shooting at the Allenhurst Apartments yesterday and is in fair condition. I wonder what the surrounding neighbors feel about this. Likewise, there was a brutal murder of a pregnant 18 year old here in Boston in what is otherwise a safe neighborhood on the same day. The girl also came from a dangerous neighborhood though. I can't blame them entirely though, many of these people just want to live a decent life but get caught up with the wrong crowd that's all.

I am really curious to know the 2009 crime stats for Amherst as well as for Buffalo by the end of this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area