Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 07:30 PM

39 posts, read 143,458 times

Advertisements

Hello, I had a general question, if I buy a house in lancaster, can I send my kids to school in the williamsville school district. Do I have to pay extra or is that not possible altogether?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 07:53 PM

1,515 posts, read 3,331,084 times
Not possible altogether. They would be in Lancaster schools. Some people buy a cheap property in Williamsville and call it their primary residence for that reason, but then you must either drive your kids to that house or to school each day.

If you look Williamsville schools' demographics are far different that Williamsville itself.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:18 AM

Wow, ok thanks for that eye-opener. I thought you could send your kids to any school you wanted. I guess its different here, I am from the UK and we lived an hour away from our actual school. Though it wasnt a public school. Maybe private schools here don't have that location restriction.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:17 AM

1,515 posts, read 3,331,084 times
No private schools do not. There are states where you can send your child to any school in the state, but New York, unfortunately is not one. I think that it is that way in Minnesota.

Old 09-10-2009, 06:01 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,855,259 times
although, a friend told me once that the performing arts school in Buffalo allows outside residents in for a tuition fee - although I never looked into that personally ... would be interesting to find out ....

Old 09-10-2009, 07:04 AM

4,135 posts, read 10,809,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ah0741 View Post
Hello, I had a general question, if I buy a house in lancaster, can I send my kids to school in the williamsville school district. Do I have to pay extra or is that not possible altogether?
If you look at the lines for the schools, Lancaster had streets with Lancaster schools, Clarence schools, Alden schools, Depew schools and (I think) some Cheektowaga districts ( people in village of Depew). Also, an excellent Catholic school: St. Mary's.

Town lines do not make a school district. I live where a family farm was in Lancaster and Alden. Our district is Lancaster. Same road, 6 houses away, it is Alden. Go 3 miles north, it is Clarence.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:25 AM

"Town lines do not make a school district".

Interesting, I will have to look into that.

Old 09-10-2009, 04:38 PM

93,164 posts, read 123,754,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canerican View Post
No private schools do not. There are states where you can send your child to any school in the state, but New York, unfortunately is not one. I think that it is that way in Minnesota.
Wisconsin has open enrollment too. You can send your child to any school in that state, as long as there is room at the school and they find a way to the school. Tax money would follow that child to that school as well.

Old 09-10-2009, 04:42 PM

93,164 posts, read 123,754,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
If you look at the lines for the schools, Lancaster had streets with Lancaster schools, Clarence schools, Alden schools, Depew schools and (I think) some Cheektowaga districts ( people in village of Depew). Also, an excellent Catholic school: St. Mary's.

Town lines do not make a school district. I live where a family farm was in Lancaster and Alden. Our district is Lancaster. Same road, 6 houses away, it is Alden. Go 3 miles north, it is Clarence.
True....In the town I grew up in outside of Syracuse, there were parts of 6 different school districts within that town. Actually, it is pretty rare to find a town in NY where all of it is within one school district. Cities and most villages are different though, as they usually are served by one school district.

Also, isn't Lancaster a good school district anyway? https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb/District.do?year=2008&county=ERIE&district=1419010 60000 (broken link)

http://www.greatschools.net/new-york...hool-District/

and some good info.: http://www.lancasterschools.org/869759813451/site/default.asp (broken link)

http://www.lancasterschools.org/lanc...te/default.asp

Old 09-10-2009, 07:04 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,809,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
True....In the town I grew up in outside of Syracuse, there were parts of 6 different school districts within that town. Actually, it is pretty rare to find a town in NY where all of it is within one school district. Cities and most villages are different though, as they usually are served by one school district.

Also, isn't Lancaster a good school district anyway? https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb/District.do?year=2008&county=ERIE&district=1419010 60000 (broken link)

Lancaster Central School District Overview | GreatSchools

and some good info.: Lancaster Central School District | About Us (http://www.lancasterschools.org/869759813451/site/default.asp - broken link)

Lancaster Central School District
Yes, Lancaster is a great district. Our daughters went there and so did the son-in-laws. However, the OP was interested in living in Lancaster w/kids in Williamsville schools. Unless he wants to pay full state tuition ( over $11K at this point, I think), he cannot do it. You can't have a kid ( used to, anyway) go out of district unless the parents pay. Your kid goes to the district he/she has a primary residence in. Few exceptions are made. Sometimes teacher's kids can go where the parent works ( we had the option to send kids into Buffalo - we didn't.)

I just gave info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area