U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-30-2009, 08:28 AM

119 posts, read 221,148 times

Advertisements

I posted a while back that my wife and I were planning to move to Buffalo, and that my company would be transferring me there.

Well, the update is that my company can no longer transfer me. They are threatening layoffs (from which I am safe...for now), and declaring certain job titles "surplus" including many in WNY. They wouldn't be able to transfer me from out of state to an area where local workers are in danger of losing their jobs. Perfectly understandable. My company, though, is blaming the economy on these cutbacks, yet they still made a profit of over 28 billion dollars during the first quarter of this year.

Corporate politics aside, I'm still left with my dilemma. My wife and I still desperately want to move to WNY, although now we will BOTH have to find jobs.

I guess my question is, how difficult is it to find a job there while my address is still here in another state? I've heard that it's quite difficult for an out of stater to find a job until they have a local address. In an already difficult economy, I imagine my chances of finding a job from here are next to none.

Do I move to Buffalo with no job? I will have some savings to get me by for a bit, but, as you can imagine, with no income, I'll go through it quickly.

And a final plea: does anyone have any idea of where I'd have luck in finding a job? I have fifteen years experience in customer service in the telecommunications field. I have also worked in retail before that. My wife is a surgical assistant with almost ten years experience, so I'm not as worried about her chances.

Thanks in advance for any advice I may be getting.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 09:20 AM

1,513 posts, read 2,094,579 times
Well, it's tough for anyone right now, I guess it depends on what you and your wife need to earn in order to survive. What you said about out of state addresses is true everywhere, but this isn't like the 1940s, when most families would never move towns, and interviewing a state away was a huge deal. Now you can get to California and back in a day, so I don't think that is your big concern.

I know HSBC has a few openings, but they might only pay $12-15 an hour (I am actually looking at resumes right now). Those are mostly customer service jobs.

I wouldn't move, unless you are very confident you can find a job before savings dry up, because if you are moving from another state, you won't get unemployment. You won't if you quit your job either.

I've heard that even Wegmans is next to impossible to get into now. When I worked there they hired 5300 workers from 120,000 applicants (I don't know if I actually believe that), now they claim the number of hires is 4000, from 180,000 applicants. (according to them)

I would say keep looking on Monster.com, either you your wife find a job that can ensure you will have 12 months till you need a second income, and then go for it.

Old 09-30-2009, 12:01 PM

1,350 posts, read 1,945,661 times
Your wife would be able to find a job without too many problems. You should be able to find something in customer service fairly easily but it may not pay what you are looking for. Indeed.com would be a pretty good place to keep your eye on for openings. So would the state run job bank ..... New York's Job Exchange!

Given you & your wife's experience it is entirely possible to find a job in Buffalo (or anywhere for that matter) while living in another area.

Old 09-30-2009, 02:42 PM

2,988 posts, read 5,629,728 times
sabredrew, the cost of living isn't very high here. You can find a decent place to rent (north & south Buffalo, Elmwood areas are a best bet) for $400 - $600 a month and some apartments will include the utilities, maybe cheaper. Wish you luck with what you choose.

Old 09-30-2009, 03:16 PM

6,374 posts, read 5,577,816 times
I am not sure I would recommend quitting jobs and moving. That is a risky venture, especially in this economy. Maybe the two of you could do it in stages? Get a cheap apartment or Studio here, and one of you come to town to job search. Either leave your current employment, or try to do it around your work schedule. When one of you has landed a position, the other can can them come to town and begin their search. (Or, use the local address to search simultaniously while working out of town).

Certainly that isn't as easy, but with one income still coming in, and if you can cut out a lot of expenses, you may be able to make your savings stand up longer, and give you the option to go back and still have one wage earner as a last resort.

Good luck whatever you decide to do!

Old 09-30-2009, 03:18 PM

6,374 posts, read 5,577,816 times
BTW, you may want to keep an eye on www.usajobs.gov for local openings. There has been, on and off, a number of positions opened with Homeland Security who are opening a large processing and customer service center in town. They are doing a lot of hiring for review of records, customer service/contact positions with private employers, etc. Fed hiring isn't always as picky about whether a candidate is applying locally or not (although they are occasionally but usually will then restrict the opening and be upfront about it in the listing).

Old 09-30-2009, 04:11 PM

1,513 posts, read 2,094,579 times
I've found that most companies instead of saying that only locals can apply that they say "no relocated reimbursement" or something like that. I think all most companies care about is getting the best person. Times are a little tight right now, so most companies won't pay reimbursement. What you might want to consider instead of cash right now (since cash is tight) is an early review or a few extra days of vacation.

That's what I did during my negotiation, and I have 19 vacation days, and got a promotion because I reviewed really well.

You might try that strategy, but honestly, think about it, if you are very qualified for your job, do you really think that the company cares where you live, as long as you plan on moving. Make sure that you don't mention taking that job because you want to move to Buffalo though, that would make it sound like that employer is only a temporary stepping stone to you.

Old 09-30-2009, 06:25 PM

205 posts, read 263,359 times
I would wait it out while keeping an eye for possible jobs. No need to take unnecessary risks.

Old 09-30-2009, 06:25 PM
Vex

123 posts, read 152,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredrew View Post
My company, though, is blaming the economy on these cutbacks, yet they still made a profit of over 28 billion dollars during the first quarter of this year.
What company could that be? If XOM made less than 5 billion in the first quarter of this year I'd seriously doubt any company came even close to 28.

Old 09-30-2009, 06:30 PM

205 posts, read 263,359 times
Health insurance is my guess. And I do believe they are pulling in those figures even in a down economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area