Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Whats your Favorite local news channel?
Channel 7 Eyewitness News 4 28.57%
News 4 4 28.57%
2 on your side 3 21.43%
YNN Buffalo 1 7.14%
Other 2 14.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 03:55 PM

49 posts, read 153,742 times

Advertisements

Mines Channel 7 Eyewitness News. They have definitely fallen from their once dominant reign in the local news ratings, and the editing and production of the show is subpar, but hey I still watch. Personally I don’t think you can beat Keith Radford and Mike Randall
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 05:06 PM

1,515 posts, read 3,331,257 times
I watch Channel 2, but I honestly find they are all so Liberally biased I try and avoid them... I watched Channel 7 when those union idiots were saying to boycott, anything to tick off Louise Slaughter!

Old 10-10-2009, 06:06 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,346,055 times
Personally, I love my channel 2 news when I come home. When I get a chance, however, I watch YNN Buff because since they are Buffalo's 24/7 news station, they are always on! It's very convenient. They also have a pretty good crew that grab great stories that many of the other news stations fail to get. I watch channel 4 on occasion, and channel 7 rarely ever. Buffalo has a lot of news channels, all of which have their ups and downs, but for now, I say kudos to 2 on your side. Such a great station with great people and great stories. Beautiful studio as well, if I must say so myself!

Old 10-11-2009, 10:59 AM

2,972 posts, read 8,211,553 times
I don't care for any of the local news channels because they have become too "corporate oriented" and chatty between stories. They'll put non-new events before the real news, and are selective in what they report, or are "leading" with how they report. Something else I dislike, they'll begin a story on TV then tell viewers they can see the rest of it on their website. Assuming everyone has access to internet at the time of the reporting. Channel 2 is notorious for saying "you won't believe this" and leads into a story unrelated to the Buffalo/WNY area. Their hour & a half of news (5-6:30 weekdays) is mostly a waste of airtime. Testing products as seen on TV isn't informing the public about police looking for a suspect in an armed robbery in a residential neighborhood not far from where I live, or communities cracking down on drug activities or gang violence in our city. Instead they'll make a football player's broken toe, sprain, or strain "breaking news" They'll make a great (oh, no) tradgedy out of a football player's injury but never report on a kid jumped for $10 by 5 guys who beat him, ending him up in the hospital. Someone like TO is ratings gold for a channel like 2, they'll make football more important than an assult/robbery of a kid.

All of their websites load very slow because of all the advertizing & videos.

I do like Adam Benigni's style of reporting, he's not "chit-chatty" during the news hour like Scott Levin & Maryalice Delmer. They are just too giggly, and use too much of their own personal opinions leading in or out of a story.

For these reasons, and many more I like watching YNN. Even if they play a loop of the same stories for 3 hours, it's still news that is there when & how "news" should be reported to the general audience. They don't have much of an interest in boosting ratings over giving us the news. If I have to see another channel, I prefer 4. Their website also isn't as cluttered with as much advertizing.

Last edited by FedupWNY; 10-11-2009 at 11:09 AM..

Old 10-11-2009, 03:31 PM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,216,327 times
I have been watching YNN more and more. It reminds me of a real news station, instead of just a marketing propaganda machine.

Channel 2, 4, and 7 are pretty much unwatchable.

The truth of the story is that these stations are in trouble, and they are trying to get ad revenue any way possible.

I was in Florida a month ago, and I picked up a USA today newspaper at the Tampa Airport. WGRZ channel 2 is running an ad in the national newspaper for their m.wgrz mobile weather service, so they can serve up ads.

The entire newscast is dedicated to infomercials for products, and pitches for people to go to their website.

I work nights, and sometimes get home at 4 in the morning. YNN was doing a live news broadcast, and the weatherman was giving live weather conditions.

Even though they have a good news program, it won't get any traction until the satellite dish companies pick the channel up. The other networks have a stranglehold on the market (not much of one to start with)

Old 10-11-2009, 08:52 PM

259 posts, read 888,289 times
YNN is a Time Warner Cable news program and is not likely to show up on satellite TV. Basically it was created to give cable subscribers another reason not to switch to the dish. Mostly I watch ch 4 but do watch ch 2 on occasion. I lkie that I can flip on YNN at any time for weather and local news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area