U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-20-2009, 06:55 PM
 
Location: Niagara Falls, NY
7 posts, read 23,731 times
Reputation: 15

Advertisements

I have been looking for a Long John Silvers restaurant in WNY and each one that I knew of has closed. Transit Road in Lockport and Sheridan Drive in Tonawanda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-20-2009, 08:26 PM
 
Location: Hamburg, NY
1,350 posts, read 1,912,816 times
Reputation: 941
Batavia is the closest.

Long John Silver's (http://www.ljsilvers.com/storelocator/?address=14075&x=0&y=0 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2009, 07:33 AM
 
54 posts, read 88,861 times
Reputation: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by psheldonfamily View Post
I have been looking for a Long John Silvers restaurant in WNY and each one that I knew of has closed. Transit Road in Lockport and Sheridan Drive in Tonawanda.
I think they struggle to compete with the abundance of fish frys that are around town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2009, 11:28 PM
JH6
 
714 posts, read 1,457,816 times
Reputation: 317
Too bad. Most of the food in Long John's was "scary" at best. I did enjoy their big fish sandwich with hot pepper rings once in a great while though.

I have memories of my grandparents taking me to the one on Sheridan Drive (before the walgreens was even built). That one always seemed to attract the "senior" crowd lol.

Then it turned to Popeye's, which I never ended up eating. I'm not sure what that building is now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2009, 08:55 AM
 
Location: Boardman, OH
601 posts, read 1,248,115 times
Reputation: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppersink63 View Post
I think they struggle to compete with the abundance of fish frys that are around town.
Exactly! Ever notice that Buffalo is usually one of the last places to get a major national chain and that there are some that are never quite successful as they are elsewhere?

Why? Because our local places and chains are better! There's a good reason why one doesn't see many Taco Bells or Papa John's in WNY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2009, 09:20 AM
 
54 posts, read 88,861 times
Reputation: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by truemuck View Post
Exactly! Ever notice that Buffalo is usually one of the last places to get a major national chain and that there are some that are never quite successful as they are elsewhere?

Why? Because our local places and chains are better! There's a good reason why one doesn't see many Taco Bells or Papa John's in WNY.
My step-father seemed to put it best really. He noticed this a while ago that when it comes to food, Buffalo is comprised of people who simply demand quality and at a good price. If you cant provide damn good food at a damn good price then you arent going to make it. If you visit Buffalo and eat at the local restaraunts, check the date they were founded in, most have been around for a LONG time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2009, 06:56 PM
 
112 posts, read 169,337 times
Reputation: 39
Lot's of reason's

No new chains will come to WNY and Quizno's, Roadhouse, etc... closed because of the shrinking population, very depresed economy. the high cost of NYS regulations, red tape, high taxes, insurances, workman comp, unemploment insurance, high utility bills, the high cost of health inspections and corrupt goverment. It's all about making the most profit
possible, For every dollar invested, you can make more money in growing
or stable markets. In WNY it very hard to make any profit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2009, 09:11 PM
 
744 posts, read 996,166 times
Reputation: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasRocks View Post
Lot's of reason's

No new chains will come to WNY and Quizno's, Roadhouse, etc... closed because of the shrinking population, very depresed economy. the high cost of NYS regulations, red tape, high taxes, insurances, workman comp, unemploment insurance, high utility bills, the high cost of health inspections and corrupt goverment. It's all about making the most profit
possible, For every dollar invested, you can make more money in growing
or stable markets. In WNY it very hard to make any profit.
Roadhouse closed nationwide except the one on NF Boulevard reopened. I was at Quizno's for lunch today. There is no shortage of them around town. Plenty of new chains come to Buffalo - Cheesecake Factory, PF Changs, Melting Pot, Carabba's, Bone Fish Grill, Hard Rock Cafe, Dave and Buster's and on and on. Your point is without any foundation.

You are a sad individual in your lust to put down where you moved from. I am happy with my decision to move here from Va. and have never posted negative thoughts about my former town on their blogs. I hated it there, but if those that remain there like it, good for them. I would certainly never go and post negative things on their sites to get my jollies. That would be pathetic, as are your comments here.

How come you can't be happy here or in Nevada? If you were happy there, you would embrace it and never look back. That's what I have done regarding Virginia, and it seems that is what many other new arrivals to WNY have done based upon their posts that I see here.

It really seems like Buffalo has an unnatural hold on you.. very strange.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2009, 09:14 PM
 
744 posts, read 996,166 times
Reputation: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinH View Post
Too bad. Most of the food in Long John's was "scary" at best.
Whenever I ate there, by the end of the meal I felt as if I had put a tube of chapstick on my lips. It was a good place to go on a cold winter night for that very reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2009, 10:21 PM
 
112 posts, read 169,337 times
Reputation: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by donbuy View Post
Roadhouse closed nationwide except the one on NF Boulevard reopened. I was at Quizno's for lunch today. There is no shortage of them around town. Plenty of new chains come to Buffalo - Cheesecake Factory, PF Changs, Melting Pot, Carabba's, Bone Fish Grill, Hard Rock Cafe, Dave and Buster's and on and on. Your point is without any foundation.

You are a sad individual in your lust to put down where you moved from. I am happy with my decision to move here from Va. and have never posted negative thoughts about my former town on their blogs. I hated it there, but if those that remain there like it, good for them. I would certainly never go and post negative things on their sites to get my jollies. That would be pathetic, as are your comments here.

How come you can't be happy here or in Nevada? If you were happy there, you would embrace it and never look back. That's what I have done regarding Virginia, and it seems that is what many other new arrivals to WNY have done based upon their posts that I see here.

It really seems like Buffalo has an unnatural hold on you.. very strange.

Quiznois web site says their's only 2 left in Erie County
looked how many closed up ? In any other City there
on every other corner

Quiznos Sub: Store Locator
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top