Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 08:31 PM

196 posts, read 443,082 times

Advertisements

Wondering who's doing well with the above situation. Have a few properties in Lasalle/Peru Illinois, and the dicey side of Grnnd Rapids. Had to liquidated due to move to Buffalo. So, wondering how the sec 8 works out here.

Send a note privately is needed. No need to advertise what works. Confidential of course. I am a CPA if that helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2009, 08:32 AM

450 posts, read 1,059,305 times
Why a private communication? Everybody knows that section 8 housing translates into slumlord management. Look around town, do you seriously think section 8 works for anybody. If you want opportunity, why not start a business and employ people. Generate wealth instead of consuming tax dollars. Haven't people in Buffalo had enough of this. WAKEUP BUFFALONIANS, stop getting ripped off!!!!! BTW what is a "dicey side" of town? Is that a neighborhood when absentee owners are done with it?

Old 12-23-2009, 11:19 AM

2 posts, read 5,981 times
Is there a particular reason you want to cater to section 8 tenants?

Old 12-24-2009, 10:58 AM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,217,950 times
Well, I'm a non-section 8 landlord. Nothing against the guy doing it, but the benefits of section 8 is that the government pays the rent, always on time.

The downfall is the type of person that lives in your building, and you need to have a property certified to be section 8 ready, and inspected before you rent it.

I get tons of requests to rent my properties out to section 8 tenants, I refuse this. I like to keep somewhat upscale properties (clean, newly remodeled), and I feel that the market drives what the rents are worth.

Rents are very strong here in West Seneca, I couldn't imagine letting some section 8 recipient sign a long term lease in one of my properties, then destroy it. PS- A 1 month security deposit is NOTHING when your house is totally destroyed.

Old 12-25-2009, 08:25 AM

2 posts, read 6,044 times
I own properties in Buffalo and a property manager looks after these houses. I noticed that there are repairs every time and never have I got my full rent in total , there is always something to repair etc.
The property manager is needed becuase I am a non resident. Are all the property management company the same? Does anyone know of honest people who could look after the properties without cheating the owners?
Please let me know.

Old 03-20-2014, 01:48 AM

1 posts, read 2,559 times
Default thats calling the kettle blk

Hi..first off let me start by saying I am In no way out to point fingers ..just want to add to the topic..I am a NYC realtor and have been for a little more than 20yrs. I have chosen many times not to deal with sec8 tenants because of either because lack of references or just a judgement call. I also have rented to a handful of applicants that have not tarnished my good name. That being said I would also like to add that I too am a voucher holder. Not that I'm proud of it but surely grateful. I was left raising my children on my own by the mere will of God,,and unfortunately counted as disabled with MS for a good 14 yrs and still going strong. But back to the point..to defend myself being a sec8 tenant my apt is in great shape thx to my two hands and home depot. Although I do understand why many landlords do not trust tenants I want to give you some advice...make a go.e check where they live now..I had a landlord that did that and it help him a lot. I would say to ask for pics but If you go personally that would put your mind at ease....I can tell you exactly 4different people I know personally that have there apartments in better condition than when they received it from the landlord myself included. I don't know if this was worth the time it took for me to write it but if your not hiding other reasons and want to get your apt rented dont be so quick to judge. In any case it's your apartment do what makes you happy..God Bless America!!

NyLatina

Old 04-07-2014, 04:05 AM

22 posts, read 30,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpea1238 View Post
I own properties in Buffalo and a property manager looks after these houses. I noticed that there are repairs every time and never have I got my full rent in total , there is always something to repair etc.
The property manager is needed becuase I am a non resident. Are all the property management company the same? Does anyone know of honest people who could look after the properties without cheating the owners?
Please let me know.
I know of a well Qualified Company who DOES not rip you off. There are always ways and ideas to protect your investment even if you're an out of town owner. Contact Us and I'll be glad to give you the referral for their services. The company manages over 150 properties and excellent time of repairmen that I have use to do rehabs on properties we sold.

Old 04-07-2014, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JH6 View Post
Well, I'm a non-section 8 landlord. Nothing against the guy doing it, but the benefits of section 8 is that the government pays the rent, always on time.

The downfall is the type of person that lives in your building, and you need to have a property certified to be section 8 ready, and inspected before you rent it.

I get tons of requests to rent my properties out to section 8 tenants, I refuse this. I like to keep somewhat upscale properties (clean, newly remodeled), and I feel that the market drives what the rents are worth.

Rents are very strong here in West Seneca, I couldn't imagine letting some section 8 recipient sign a long term lease in one of my properties, then destroy it. PS- A 1 month security deposit is NOTHING when your house is totally destroyed.
I truly Understand what you mean. Section * is not necessary a "City" thing or "Ethnic". We've rented to Section 8 tenants. Some were Handicap and had to use a wheelchair to be mobile. They had difficulties finding a place to reside because of the WHOLE Section 8 factor. As with ANYTHING you have to dig deeper to locate a tenant. I had "poor" tenants who weren't on Section 8. They had Jobs and looked great on paper. They also destroyed my properties. I've been in this business too long to quickly judge anyone because they mention "8".

BTW The RULES for Section 8 have gotten stronger. ANY tenant who willfully doesn't maintain the rented property in a clean and sanitized manner will be immediately dismissed from the program. Have a strong lease and they won't get away with much. They have more to lose if dismissed than someone who's not on the program. Just communicate with their case worker and they'll handle things.

Old 04-07-2014, 05:16 AM

984 posts, read 2,712,208 times
You realize you guys are responding to a 5 year old thread?

Old 04-07-2014, 04:10 PM

LOL- That's Funny- No I didn't
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area