U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 01:33 AM

28 posts, read 34,570 times

Advertisements

So anyway, I grew up in NY, small town of Arcade I'm sure at least some of you have heard of. Lived there about 17 years then my parents moved down to Nashville. I came back and moved to Buffalo about 6 years later and lived there a couple years before joining an Americorps program in Austin, TX. Now, needless to say, I've ended up in Seattle, WA. But enough with history.

I'm now considering moving back to western NY, possibly Buffalo, not sure. I work in Satellite installations(I can do Dish or Direct), and not sure how much work I'll find in the area. If I can't do satellite....is everything else still dead? I left Buffalo originally because the economy was so shot to hell that I had to get out. Now, since -everywhere- has a shot economy, perhaps Buffalo is merely on par with other places.

One thing that draws me back(besides family being there) is the food. Pizza being my favorite food, and NY having the best pizza in the world. Of course, that's only seconded by chicken wings, and potato logs. The stuff I grew up on. Also, where else can you buy Sahlen hotdogs?

So, anyone give an economic forecast of the area? Data doesn't really tell me much. How easy is it to find a job really for us "workin folk". And by that I mean, non-degree jobs. Or if anyone here installs Satellite, how is it for that? And pay? Here you make about 70/20/40(70 base install, 20 extra room, 40 service call), piecework.

Also, cost of living? I remember a place I rented in arcade a few months was like 200/mo for a 2 bedroom. I'm hoping to find something for 400 or so for a 3. Since I know the wages are pretty far on the low side for WNY, any more than that would be pretty imbalanced for the area. After all, you can get a decent apartment for like 700 here, but Washington's minimum wage is $8.55/hr, that even applies to tip jobs like pizza drivers and servers(NYs is something like $3.00/hr for those jobs I think?). The drawback is that everyone is so damn cheap around here tips are weak.

That's the single biggest problem with where I am now, the "Seattle Freeze". It means basically the whole of western washington is filled up with cold-hearted natives. They're polite on the surface, but completely indifferent beneath it. NY has a "reputation" for that, but I know it's completely false and that people there are actually easier to get to know. Nashville they were too, but, they're more likely to backstab you there.

Anyway....thoughts? I'm wary mostly because I don't want to move into an area where I'll find I can no longer save up the money to move away from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 06:52 PM

744 posts, read 1,012,218 times
Intertech
headquartered in Lockport is one of the largest Dish Network dealers in the country. They always seem to have the help wanted sign up.

From what you write there does not seem to be any compelling reason to stay in Washington. Go for the move, the unemplyment rate in WNY is more than 20% below the national average. 8.3% here vs 10.2% nationally.

Old 12-04-2009, 11:34 AM

31,914 posts, read 37,877,669 times
This might help too: Cable Jobs in Buffalo, NY | Indeed.com

Old 12-04-2009, 12:45 PM
JH6

724 posts, read 1,481,464 times
Figure the cost of living, in with the taxes, in with your wages.

It may or may not be worth it for you. Also consider the cost of a cross country move into an area that is on a large population decline.

Dish is still pretty popular here, but verizon fios was just rolled out, and i'm sure they are taking a large bite out of the pie. Also time warner cable has turned up the heat.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:37 PM

744 posts, read 1,012,218 times
I would not give much worry about fios for quite a few years. Verizon estimates that it will take at least 5 and likely 7 more years before it will be available to 50% of the market. That's availability and not there customer projection. They are saying that in 5-7 years half of the Buffalo market will still not be able to get fios even if they want it.

Regarding population loss the big period of decline were the 1970's and 1980's where the region lost over 150,000 people. From 1990-2000 the region lost only eighteen thousand people. We will not know how this decade fared until early in 2011. Remember the estimates before the last census in 1990 were undercounted by about 60,000 people. the projection was a population loss of 80,000 during the 1990's but lo and behold the actual count showed a much smaller loss of 18,000.

Either way for a cable installer there are still more households added every year due to smaller household sizes. According to AC Nielson the Buffalo TV Market added several thousand TV households since the 2000 census.

Old 12-05-2009, 03:15 PM
Vex

123 posts, read 152,560 times
The long term economic forecast is bleak. Businesses in Buffalo are being suffocated by the high taxes and high costs of doing business.

WNY's utilities are well above the national average. Something like 33% more for gas and 66% more for electricity.

NY has some of the most expensive health care costs. Health insurance costs 40% less in Tennessee. The inflated costs are cutting into business' margins, and get passed along to their employees in the form of lower wages.

NY is a state run by the unions, for the unions. We all pay egregious taxes to support their inefficiencies and bloated pensions and benefits. With a 25% unionization rate, (the highest in the country) this is an additional deterrent for any business to come to the area.

Political corruption is rampant in city hall. It has been widely acknowledged by businessmen involved in the matter that there is a "pay to play" system in place. Again, why deal with that?

An anti-business attitude also permeates through much of WNY's social fabric. The overtaxed populace wants to alleviate their own misery by having businesses "pay their share." Of course, "their share" is much less in other states.

Conclusion: Buffalo and NY as a whole will continue to stagnate economically. The region is simply uncompetitive. It is being held hostage by government employees and unions who will perpetuate the status quo to the detriment of all others. Many of the Business leaders in Buffalo operate here out of their own affinity for the region, not because it makes financial sense. However, this loyalty is becoming increasingly harder to justify, e.g. see New Era.

WNY's population will continue to decline as those fed up with the current system seek greener pastures and the old kick the bucket. Even if the population stabilizes, the region will continue to decline (those moving to NY have on average, 13% lower incomes than those moving away) The incompetent state legislature faced with ballooning costs and declining revenues will respond the only way it knows how, by raising taxes...

Old 12-05-2009, 04:03 PM

726 posts, read 1,199,027 times
TO VEX:

AMEN! You hit the nail on the head.

Old 12-05-2009, 04:43 PM

31,914 posts, read 37,877,669 times
Then explain this: Full List: America's Fastest-Recovering Cities - Forbes.com

Old 12-05-2009, 06:09 PM

28 posts, read 34,570 times
Default Explain....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vex View Post
WNY's utilities are well above the national average. Something like 33% more for gas and 66% more for electricity.
This I don't understand. Our utility bill last year was around $750 in the wintertime. This includes water, electric, trash, and sewer. We get a bill every other month, so it's say $375.

Now, considering we only space-heat the upstairs for the sake of saving power, this seems extremely high to me. Our house is 2700 sq ft, but we only heat like 700 sq ft of it. The entire house has flourescent bulbs. Overall we don't use all that much power.

I can't remember the exact breakdown though, maybe it's trash/sewer/water that make the bill so high.

Old 12-05-2009, 07:30 PM

231 posts, read 392,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tounces7 View Post
This I don't understand. Our utility bill last year was around $750 in the wintertime. This includes water, electric, trash, and sewer. We get a bill every other month, so it's say $375.

Now, considering we only space-heat the upstairs for the sake of saving power, this seems extremely high to me. Our house is 2700 sq ft, but we only heat like 700 sq ft of it. The entire house has flourescent bulbs. Overall we don't use all that much power.

I can't remember the exact breakdown though, maybe it's trash/sewer/water that make the bill so high.

Actually that not really any worse than here in Florida. Our last apt was 600sq ft. We didn't have central air/heat, we just had the one wall unit. In the winter (you know those 2 weeks here in FL that you actually have to run the heat) and during the summer (6 months out of the year) Our electricity bill was about $200 per month. About $45 a month for water. The apt complex paid for sewer/water.

I'll have to get used to this whole gas thing... I'm terrified i'm going to accidentally blow up my kitchen. I've never used gas before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area