Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 08:31 AM

111 posts, read 287,272 times

Advertisements

Orchard Park, N.Y. -- The Buffalo Bills have called a 2pm Tuesday news conference where they are expected to introduce Chan Gailey as the team's new head coach.

Gailey, who was the Dallas Cowboys head coach in 1998 and 1999, was most recently the Kansas City Chiefs offensive coordinator.

Moderator cut: hotlinked image

Bills Have Hired Chan Gailey - 13WHAM.com - Rochester News, Weather, and Sports

Last edited by bellafinzi; 01-19-2010 at 02:05 PM.. Reason: Please only hotlink photos you have personally taken yourself
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 08:45 AM

602 posts, read 2,034,241 times
I'm not sure how I feel about this hiring. Chan Gailey has been around the coaching biz for a long time, but I can't say I've been that impressed with the work he's done and he's got a challenge in the Bills. We'll see.....

Old 01-19-2010, 09:06 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,717,534 times
medicore coach. I thought Wilson was going to bring in some big name talent? I hope everybody likes lots of give up on a drive draw play on 3rd and 10.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:41 AM

726 posts, read 2,147,974 times
Did Wilson go to High School with this guy?

Old 01-19-2010, 11:09 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,545,483 times
This is the best the Bills could do. No big name coach wants to take over a team with no QB & a general lack of overall talent, especially when the owner refuses to spend the required money to make the team a contender. Up & coming coordinators & college coaches want no part of this job because it is a potential career killer, proven coaches don't want to damage their track record by signing on to take over this no win situation. Brian Billick was about the best the Bills could have done but Ralph & his lap dog Buddy Nix were scared he would want too much authority in player/personnel decisions.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:32 AM

726 posts, read 2,147,974 times
Hopefully they're just trying to save some money for better players.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:07 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,545,483 times
When the Bills move to Toronto maybe we can convince the Argos to move to the Ralph? At least they make the playoffs once in awhile.

Old 01-20-2010, 10:11 AM

93,344 posts, read 123,972,828 times
I will say that while I'm not "impressed" by this hire, Gailey is known for having good offenses and doing it with a range of talent. He did lead the Cowboys to the playoffs twice in his 2 years there. He did go to a bowl every year he was a head coach with Georgia Tech. Everywhere he has been, his offense has been good. Considering the fact that the Bills offense is hurting right now, he might end up being a very good pick for them. Now, they just need to get some offensive linemen and maybe a good QB in the draft like a Dan LeFevour or Daryll Clark.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:11 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times
The hire is a disappointment from all the Cowher/Shannahan/Billick buildup the last month and a half.

However, it really is a pick that seems to fit their criteria. He has experience, has had some success (taken an NFL team to the playoffs twice), is known as being a good offensive coach, and is a somewhat firey guy not affraid to get into players faces.

I cannot say it is a bad choice, especially since he might have been the best option who would take the job.

Now it is back on Nix to get him a QB, left tackle, and make the changes needed on D to convert it back to a 3-4.

Old 01-22-2010, 04:10 AM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,218,301 times
Did you guys really think that Ralph was going to foot the bill for a high dollar candidate?

We have a team that has not made the playoffs in a decade. Think of all that lost revenue by not hosting playoff games, or even being involved in them (merchandise sales, everything else).

Here is my guess for the upcoming season. The Bills will sign a "C-List" celebrity style player to a 1 year contract, then hype it up. I'm going to call this the Terrell Owens factor. You will see the jerseys all over for this person at the local Walmart, and this person will drive up ticket sales (at least for the first half of the season).

Then it will be gone one year later. Rinse and repeat.

Signing offensive linemen and building a good team doesn't generate Buzz or ticket sales, and the bills are doing the poor mans approach to keeping this franchise afloat (at least until Ralph passes on).

They need a gimmick every year to give us a false sense of hope that maybe they can go at least 9-7 and make a wild card appearance.

I think the gimmick for this year might be Michael Vick. He will generate controversy and protests, but sell a few tickets as well. I can see the Bills signing him to a 1 year contract.

When Ralph passes, I can see the team going to the highest bidder. It won't be Toronto either. It will be a city that offers the team a brand new domed stadium and huge incentives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area