Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2010, 04:00 PM

1 posts, read 2,936 times

Advertisements

What do you think?

Any surprise? Buffalo a 'miserable' city - Business First of Buffalo:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 04:06 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,712,998 times
forbes lists have no credibility and the worst criteria used. Miami and NYC were also on the list. That should tell you how worthless it is.

Old 02-20-2010, 04:57 AM

119 posts, read 354,622 times
I agree with Garmin 100%. Forbes seems to come out with these very unscientific reports about twice a year. As far as I'm concerned, with every new one that comes out, Forbes loses more and more credibility.

It's not just Forbes though, that totally misreprsents the nature of Western NY living. This latest report is just another example of how the national media loves to bash Buffalo. Are there parts of Buffalo that have seen urban blight? Of course. Show me a city that hasn't. The fact is, Buffalo has come a long way in the last ten years or so, and most of the people that I know that live in and around it are not miserable at all. In fact it's quite the opposite; they are proud to live in a city that has so much to offer - warm but not humid summers, great food, little traffic, natural and man made beauty, and of course something else that too many cities lack these days - real, honest, hard-working, friendly people.

So let Forbes magazine and the rest of the country stay ignorant as to what a treasure we have here in Buffalo Those of us who know the truth, will continue to delight in all that the Queen City has to offer.

Old 02-22-2010, 01:02 AM

1,293 posts, read 4,996,709 times
I agree with Garmin also. Forbes usually puts out a list based on one statistic. Hardly enough to judge a city. Most of the lists produced by Forbes are negative anyway. The information is useless. You don't look at a list of the worst places in the country to find a job, you look at the best. Forbes is just trying to make the homepage of Yahoo again by getting people to feed into their negativity.

Old 02-22-2010, 01:06 AM

1,293 posts, read 4,996,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OK_Bound11 View Post
Not just Forbes… Buffalo ranks near the bottom of almost each of these lists. I see a trend. You can attack each study as being biased, unfair, or unpleasant, but it doesn't change the perception of Buffalo as being a gloomy, unfree, high-taxed, poor, and bad-weathered city.
There should be a list that compiles a number of statistics. Jobs, economy, education, weather, entertainment, housing, transportation, etc into one study. And this should be produced on a yearly basis. It still wouldn't be 100% accurate for every situation, but it would be better than Forbes.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:53 AM

119 posts, read 354,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OK_Bound11 View Post
Not just Forbes… Buffalo ranks near the bottom of almost each of these lists. I see a trend. You can attack each study as being biased, unfair, or unpleasant, but it doesn't change the perception of Buffalo as being a gloomy, unfree, high-taxed, poor, and bad-weathered city.
I think the key word in this excerpt of your post OK, is "perception". I can't tell you how many times I've defended WNY to someone who had already formed an opinion on it, and then come to find out, they'd never been there. They're basing their argument on some nationally perceived belief on the culture and lifestyle of WNY. Unfortunately, over time, these perceptions come to be believed by many.

Yes, there are WNYers who have nothing good to say about the area, but I find in many cases these people have gone through tough times in life for a variety of reasons, and tend to put the whole blame on where they live.

Now, my glasses aren't rose-colored enough to make me fool myself into believing that everything is perfect here, I'm more of a realist than that. And as far as your assertion that Albany is doing a fine job of screwing up the lives of all New Yorkers, you'll get no argument from me there.

Old 02-22-2010, 01:20 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
My SO was born and raised in Buffalo; we now live in the Midwest. In our trips back to visit his family, I have absolutely loved the time I've spent in Buffalo, find it to be a neat city with character. Granted, I've not tried to find a job there, but my general impression of Buffalo has been very positive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area